blue sage vs white sage

spinnachie

hey everyone

I wanted to order some sage online, because I don't have time to go to my shop...plus I don't really want to go to my shop...its cold lol

anyway, so im looking online at this one store called wicca supplies I think?...and I notice that they don't just have..."sage" they have blue sage, white sage, blue sage and lavender smudge and all these different variations of sage and it is making me wonder, what is the difference between them? I thought there was only one type of sage, plain freaking sage!!! ;)

can anyone help me with the differences or point me to a reference please!

Thanks in advance!
xo
spin

sevenfires

I think white sage is what's most commonly used. I haven't used blue sage before, but I've heard it's a more mild scent, less harsh/pungent than white sage.

TarotTreat

I haven't heard about it, but if what sevenfires says is true I'd recommend getting the blue sage. I personally have white sage--which is most common for cleansing purposes. However the metaphysical demand for white sage is causing issues for the white sage population.

In the future I'm planning on either growing my own (if I don't kill it) so I can share with my witchy friends without hurting the overall population, or on buying alternatives. Some I've heard of are cedar and lavender.

spinnachie

I think white sage is what's most commonly used. I haven't used blue sage before, but I've heard it's a more mild scent, less harsh/pungent than white sage.

I think you may be right, I have used sage before...(im assuming white sage) and I really like the harsh smell...makes me feel better

I haven't heard about it, but if what sevenfires says is true I'd recommend getting the blue sage. I personally have white sage--which is most common for cleansing purposes. However the metaphysical demand for white sage is causing issues for the white sage population.

In the future I'm planning on either growing my own (if I don't kill it) so I can share with my witchy friends without hurting the overall population, or on buying alternatives. Some I've heard of are cedar and lavender.

egads, I never thought about that...perhaps ill have to grow my own as well...even though I really have no planting/gardening skills whatsoever

linnie

I think you may be right, I have used sage before...(im assuming white sage) and I really like the harsh smell...makes me feel better

egads, I never thought about that...perhaps ill have to grow my own as well...even though I really have no planting/gardening skills whatsoever
I love white sage... I've tried other smudge sticks, but none feel so perfect as white sage... I love its smell... delightful... and, because i love smudging with it so much, i ordered seeds online and got two plants up.. from those two, i took cuttings, so now I have about 8 little plants... still tiny, but they're very healthy, and I'll keep propagating more as they grow...

I love white sage.... It has become an integral part of my sacred practise, and I even go into the shade-house to collect just a leaf from the cuttings... (I always take the oldest leaf that is likely to fall soon anyway:)), and then crush the leaf and rub its juice into all my chakra spots... it feels like an instant overhaul!! I'm very excited that it grows for me, because the future was looking expensive if I had to keep buying the White Sage :)

spinnachie

I love white sage... I've tried other smudge sticks, but none feel so perfect as white sage... I love its smell... delightful... and, because i love smudging with it so much, i ordered seeds online and got two plants up.. from those two, i took cuttings, so now I have about 8 little plants... still tiny, but they're very healthy, and I'll keep propagating more as they grow...

I love white sage.... It has become an integral part of my sacred practise, and I even go into the shade-house to collect just a leaf from the cuttings... (I always take the oldest leaf that is likely to fall soon anyway:)), and then crush the leaf and rub its juice into all my chakra spots... it feels like an instant overhaul!! I'm very excited that it grows for me, because the future was looking expensive if I had to keep buying the White Sage :)

that's awesome....I wonder if there are any you tube tutorials on growing sage lol

TarotTreat

I love white sage... I've tried other smudge sticks, but none feel so perfect as white sage

Totally agree. I don't think my practice would be quite the same. I am willing to try blue sage--this was the first I've heard of it--but I definitely want to get some seeds. Plus, then I can do trades with other witches in my community for supplies. Plenty of bonuses.