The Moon

BodhiSeed

I've often heard the Moon symbolizes illusion and deception. As I have been studying this card, I have wondered if the "illusion" is just from my attempt to interpret information that emerges from the unconscious from a logical, rational frame of mind (conscious frame of reference). The unconscious speaks through the language of symbol and metaphor, and I must learn this language to be able to decipher its messages correctly. Then I will be able to clearly understand the message, rather than jumping to an illusionary conclusion about it.

Bodhran

job

:)
Hmmm.... you may jump to an 'illusionary conclusion'. But your subconscious does not. So why do you want to know a language that you already (subconsciously) know?
What answer could possibly tear away the illusion that we ourselves have created?

Dulcimer

job said:
...why do you want to know a language that you already (subconsciously) know?
Because the conscious mind must know it to understand what it is the subconscious is trying to communicate.
job said:
What answer could possibly tear away the illusion that we ourselves have created?
You mean the answer to "know thyself" ?

Well, isn't that the quest?

Imagemaker

I've often heard the Moon symbolizes illusion and deception.

I always think of how things look different under moonlight--shadows and shapes look different than they do in sunlight. The deception in people could be intentional as in lying or just confusing and unclear.

I also think of how women's hormones sometimes cause women to misinterpret or over-react or imagine things as other than they do when hormones aren't raging. Monthly changes are huge in women's lives and feelings.

The moon is often NOT our friend during those times, but we also know and feel things that may be closer to core truths than society wants to admit.

The Moon is quite complex!

magician

moon

Hi
I have been reading tarot professionally,i find moon as creating tensions headaches and dilema. He does indicate confusion and hidden enemies.This is based on readings
magician

cdabs

The Moon...more

I was telling a friend (over email) that I've recently been feeling out of whack...and noticed last week (I think) that there was a full-moon out.

Anyway, so...I referred to the RWS "Moon" card in my email...showed her a pic and as I was explaining to her what I thought this card was all about, I felt like I made a connection regarding the dogs.

I initially thought the dogs were BOTH barking/baying at the moon, but I'm thinking now that the wolf(?) on the right is sitting and just looking at the moon. Of course, in sitting and being quiet, he's not really expressing "wild animal" tendencies. He's also facing the tower on the left of the card.

The dog (domesticated, some say) on the other side of the path is leaving his "training" behind...and allowing his primal urges to surface...so, he bays at the moon. This dog is facing the moon.

It's like both animals experience an "unexpected" change in behavior considering the traits or characteristics we associate with them based on the types of animals they are: domesticated vs. wild.

The crustacean appears...crawling from water to land...perhaps a metaphor for the beginnings of life as we know it (at least science explains it this way). A reference to beginnings? Primal urges?

I think this card is about innate tendencies upsetting the social balance....and no matter what we do to mask such tendencies (we have laws, mores, rules, social-training, etc.)...we still have them......i.e., the dog is the domesticated ancestor of the wolf, but he still has his tendencies to feel "wild" again...if provoked. In this instance, the Moon provokes the dog.

In this card The Moon eclipses the Sun (the Sun is a metaphor for joy, right?)...masks it, but the Sun is still the Sun...and the mask only lasts for a short while. So, in other words, joy is temporarily suspended while darker feelings/behaviors take over.

Rachel Pollack's "Seventy-Eight Degrees Of Wisdom" has a lengthy chapter on this card..and it is fascinating reading.

Thoughts?

BodhiSeed

http://www.learntarot.com/bigjpgs/maj18.jpg

cdabs said:
It's like both animals experience an "unexpected" change in behavior considering the traits or characteristics we associate with them based on the types of animals they are: domesticated vs. wild.

Thank you for this new insight, cdabs! I've never noticed this before. It makes sense that there is a change of behavior in each animal.

cdabs said:
The crustacean appears...crawling from water to land...perhaps a metaphor for the beginnings of life as we know it (at least science explains it this way). A reference to beginnings? Primal urges?

I've always heard that the crustacean represents what was unconcious that is now becoming conscious.

Bodhran

cdabs

The Moon, cont'd.

Hey Bodhran!

You're right....many of the books I've read, including Rachel Pollack's, indicate that the crustacean is "information" coming back from subconscious to consciousness. Rachel says (from "Seventy-Eight Degrees Of Wisdom"): "The Moon is the card of the imagination as it moulds (sic) the energy of The Star into shapes the consciousness can comprehend." I just saw it as having that odd "we came from the sea" (amoebas, single-celled organisms...primal-features and drives to survive) reference....and it seemed to fit with the idea that a domesticated dog (trained by society?) can still have its primal urges surface from time to time.

Of course, thinking back...I really didn't explain the wolf's behavior IF it is sitting quietly. I do believe it is sitting, but its mouth is open...teeth can be seen (bared?), but it appears it is not as actively barking/baying at the moon. This might mean that The Moon has "odd effects" on behavior (in general; i.e., a domesticated being could get wild and a seemingly wild being could be more reserved/tame for the time being....odd effects of the Moon???).

Another thing that I've been trying to figure out is...the shapes at the water's edge on either side of the path; on the left (dog's side) there are some "tooth" like, black protrusions from the ground. On the right side (wolf) there is something beyond the pile of rocks which looks like a spade. The latter COULD be an arrow (I've seen some arrows in other cards), but where is it pointing? Both the tooth-like protrusions and the spade seem to be curved toward the right side of the card (wolf's side).

Anyway, I was thinking yesterday (after writing my email to my friend) that when I write and try to explain the cards to my friends....all of a sudden, new things occur/appear to me...and I find myself feeling more understanding of a card. I guess that's why "journaling" is a good idea!

Viper_05

i usually get this card interesting to see

tarotlyn

The "ILLUSIVE" Moon card - relates to Pisces

bodhran said:
"I've often heard the Moon symbolizes illusion and deception.
As I have been studying this card, I have wondered if the "illusion" is just
from my attempt to interpret information that emerges from the unconscious..."
Bodhran

The Moon Card is ruled by the sign "Pisces," which is a water sign.

Pisces rules ILLUSION, the imagination, dreams, emotions, and fantasy, etc.

This information can be found on the sign of "Pisces" in most "basic" astrology
books. You will find that water signs, especially Pisces, rule spirituality,
intuitiveness, psychicness, the unknown, and sometimes deception -
to name a few traits.

The moon is fluctuating and causes various types of cycles by its magnetic
pull on the earth.

It also activates our emotions and our psychicness or intuition. The moon
can incite depression, moodiness, and negativity in us also.

I see the Moon card as signaling something illusive, perhaps a psychic
message coming from your subconscious mind into your conscious mind.

So, when you get this card, it could be telling you that you "should" or "will"
become aware of something you don't know about yet, something hidden.

The Moon card can be a warning that you are refusing to face the truth
about a person or situation in your life. This is a very emotional revealing
of the truth that you may not want to come to terms with, maybe because
you are swayed by your emotions and not want to face the truth.

You may just feel like other people victimize you. Perhaps someone is not
being truthful and is about to be found out. This can make you depressed.

Things may be "going on behind your back" and you are about to find out
about it! You will see the truth, as the psychic message reveals itself from
your subconscious mind.

Or maybe the Moon card is telling you that you just need to use your psychic
abilities to overcome a difficulty.

Reversed...it could mean fear and doubt can make you sick.
...or you have found out the truth about something and feel you have been
betrayed by someone close to you...even by a friend. This can be depressing
as it kind of throws "the monkey wrench" into your plans causing delays.

Since the Moon card is so ILLUSIVE...I am sure it has alluded "me" in trying to
totally figure its message out here!

:heart: