Deck of the Week Sign up Group - week 31 - March 3-10 2012

Eyebright

Get well soon Auracana, I'm getting over the flu so I understand how you feel :heart:

strings of life

Feel better auracana!
Aww, thanks :).

Get well soon Auracana, I'm getting over the flu so I understand how you feel :heart:
Thanks to you too! I hope that you feel better too, and it sounds like you are. My allergies went haywire and I had a bad cough that has escalated to something worse. I'm of tomorrow from work; time to rest up.

See you all next week though.

Chiska

I keep trying to get a V.Regina so I can see if my tastes change... :)

Nerys

Feel better aurarcana!

I've done another couple of readings with the Prairie Tarot and it's really appealing to me, in sort of the same way that the Magical Forest did. There's something clear about it - "simple" is the word that keeps coming to mind (simple but not simplistic, anyway).

I've found the black borders have chipped a bit and I haven't used the deck all that much yet, but I guess that's par for the course.

I really appreciate how changing decks every week or two lets me see which ones I enjoy using the most!

Chiska

So far, the Cat Deck has been relegated to "Lesson of the Day" daily readings. That is what I do with decks that are "issues." It is actually doing well with those. It isn't making me fall in love with it, though. I don't mind using it for others, though. So it seems it might be one of those decks that doesn't work well for personal readings, but is great for reading for other people. That's fine! Just like the RWS.

Funny, I have one deck that doesn't work with other people, but is spectacular for personal readings. Makes no sense - you'd think that it wouldn't matter. Readings I have done for others with the Tarot of Prague have been just awful.

Elendil

Osho Zen Tarot

This deck reads easily. The artwork is vibrant. I like the way the court cards have key words just like the rest of the minors. The deck is NOT universally liked (according to recent comments here on AT in the de-enabling forum) but 'each to his or her own'. I don't particularly like The Master card (a second 'advanced' Fool) and I don't really see why there are suits entitled CLOUDS and RAINBOWS when AIR and EARTH would have served just as well and been more consistent with the FIRE and WATER suits. The changed titles do not bother me - and offer an interesting spin on 'tradition'. This deck is a KEEPER for me...:)

Karmagoth

This deck reads easily. The artwork is vibrant. I like the way the court cards have key words just like the rest of the minors. The deck is NOT universally liked (according to recent comments here on AT in the de-enabling forum) but 'each to his or her own'. I don't particularly like The Master card (a second 'advanced' Fool) and I don't really see why there are suits entitled CLOUDS and RAINBOWS when AIR and EARTH would have served just as well and been more consistent with the FIRE and WATER suits. The changed titles do not bother me - and offer an interesting spin on 'tradition'. This deck is a KEEPER for me...:)

I am so glad I wasn't de-enabled on this deck. I had already hit the Buy button before the really negative posts came through, and I admit I felt quite sick and almost cancelled it. But I made the decision to rely on my own feelings when it arrived. I wanted to let the images speak to me themselves - they are what they are - and if I was repulsed, or I couldn't let go of the history, or I couldn't connect then so be it.

Despite being a serial deck-hopper, I haven't picked up another deck since Saturday :)

AJ

Osho Zen

This deck reads easily. The deck is NOT universally liked (according to recent comments here on AT in the de-enabling forum) but 'each to his or her own'. I don't particularly like The Master card (a second 'advanced' Fool) and I don't really see why there are suits entitled CLOUDS and RAINBOWS when AIR and EARTH would have served just as well and been more consistent with the FIRE and WATER suits.

On the deenabling thread people who absolutely LOVE a deck can be the most vicious...it really isn't a thread to base a purchase on, truly.

I can appreciate an artist/author really getting into their project and going off on individual tangents, but renamed suits really became an issue with me about the time I hit my second year of my tarot blog. When I search for 10 of whatever I want all the 10 of whatever to come up. So in my introduce the deck I indicate what the suit names are, and sometimes I write the card as rainbows/cups but all the cards are now named consistently and it makes me happy :) and that's all that counts :)
My biggest tarot peeve is pentacles suits on decks that aren't specifically pagan/magical.
Times 20.
It always feels lazy designer hasn't done their homework... my 2 cents.

jema

My biggest tarot peeve is pentacles suits on decks that aren't specifically pagan/magical.
Times 20.
It always feels lazy designer hasn't done their homework... my 2 cents.

Agreed!! I much prefer coins or even discs.

I been lazy with the prague tarot this week. It seems I actually 'work' better or at least blog more on decks that I am not so familiar with. Of course the gianormous stack of books I just got does not help either. Right now it is more fun to read novels then blog about cards. I'll try out a little predictive eurovision song contest spread later tomorrow or so though. Swedish finale on saturday - who will win? o0

BodhiSeed

I am enjoying getting to know the Bohemian Gothic, learning about the places and people who have influenced it, such as the Bone Chapel:
http://www.artgraphica.net/art-shop/prague-kutna-hora-bone-church.htm

The Oracle of Shadows and Light I've had for quite a while - these the doe-eyed teeny-boppers have been collecting dust with no use. As much as the artwork makes me want to laugh, I will have to say I have been stunned by the good readings I'm getting from it. "Don't judge a book by its cover" indeed!:p