Others touching my cards

Loewenzahnhexe

I make differeces between all my Decks. The Lenormand and the Kipper Cards can be touched by everyone, who wants a reading. No one touches my oracle Decks (like Doreen Virtues or celtic animal...) but me.
The most Tarot readings I use the Druidcraft Deck. This one is only touched by my sister and my husband (and me, lol).

For me the cards are a tool, when a deck is old and worn out, than a buy a new one, without beeing sad. But the images are, in my opinion, much more than just "colour". I dont hang on the paper on which they are printed, but I love the art of my decks. And I dont want anybody touching my cards, who dont respect the cards.

aquanesha

Yesterday, I actually broke down and let someone touch my cards but I was freaking out the whole time saying please don't let her energy destroy my cards and stuff.

The weird thing was that the reading was inaccurate as well. So, I picked up the cards and shuffled and focused on the question at the same time and it worked out better.

Simone

*takes microphone, verifies her skirt is not tucked in her panties and no paper is stuck to her shoes, clears throat.*

Dear all!

Screeeeech *adjusts microphone, clears throat again*

Dear all,

the cards don't do anything. If there is energy around, it won't destroy them (except fire or scissors!).

if the reading is not accurate, it's not the cards! ;) (who was that again, who reads them? }))

the cards are not jealous, not mad, not happy, not even indifferent.

they just ARE.

The cards don't care who handles or shuffles them.

You do.

So all you seem to perceive here - you project it into them.

don't blame the poor cards ;) don't blame the energies.

And set your boundaries...

*hands the microphone back, stumbles off and realises she had a piece of salad in the teeth...*

Simone

PS, my cards are touchable ;)

aquanesha

Well then maybe they just didn't fit the question she had in her mind because she wanted to know if her coworker would switch schedules with her but the cards that came up were all about lust and stuff.

Some people on here are just so damn rude.
They think they are funny but they are not.

This community is not what I thought it was at ALL!!!

Always one bad apple to spoil the rest.

(the whole thing about the transfer of energies must have some truth to it if people would bother to write about cleasning the deck and stuff)

huredriel

Sorceress_Jade said:
At any rate, I'm wondering if anyone else does readings where they do not have the subject touch the cards.
Not really, most of my readings are here at AT so obviously no touching ...... but for face to face readings, I have no problem in them holding, shuffling and picking up the cards ...... makes the querant feel more involved in the reading I think. I think the only time I wouldn't want someone to touch my cards is if I thought they were being disrespectful to either tarot or myself. After all, you can always do a *cleansing* of them afterwards if you wanted - I personally don't as I believe that the cards are a tool for us to access our higher/intuitive self.

In fact whenever I get a new deck it gets an airing with my mates ...... only last week I took my Merryday round there and both she and her 14 year old son had a look through with them choosing their favourite cards :)

Dwaas

aquanesha said:
(the whole thing about the transfer of energies must have some truth to it if people would bother to write about cleasning the deck and stuff)

Hello aquanesha,

No need to be upset. You are right if you like, as others are as well. It is just opinions. Some people believe that the cards will be affected by energies of others touching the cards. That is why the question of this thread was raised anyway. Will you let others touch your cards? And if we do or don't it is the fun to explain why we do so.
This will lead to different opinions.
Like: No, no living soul other then myself may touch my cards as I believe other people may have an effect on how my cards will perform. I truly believe that cards are a sacred tool with their own personalities.
Or: Why not, anyone can touch my cards, it's just cards and ink and if the cards get dirty I clean them and if they are not useable anymore I just buy new cards.

And anything in between. Now I can imagine that people who believe their cards are sacred tools will do anything to keep them clean by cleansing methods. I am not one of them, as I think its just cards.
And we are all entitled to our opinions and how we act to our opinions. And we are all entitled to speak our opinions. In any way which is not meant to be offending.

Now we come from different parts of the world and we have different backgrounds so our appreciation of all kinds of humour may differ as well! Nothing to worry about I'd say. Just develop your own opinion, weight it against others and learn from each other.

I've honestly never been on any online board where people have so many different opinions AND are so gentle and friendly and show respect. This must be because we all share one important thing: our love for tarot.
I truly believe that tarot is about learning from the journey of life. Having different opinions and appreciations is one part of that.
Let us share our opinions and ask each other why we express sometimes different from what we are used too. I believe we owe this to others as to ourselves!
Blessings

Zephyros

Oh, please. I'm tired of all the deifying of a deck of cards. Granted, the deck is important to us, and we use to unlock many of our secrets, and it really lends a hand in our personal developement. but why be so paranoid? It's only a few peices of paper, not your private parts.

YOU are Tarot, you are the one that makes it work, not the other way round. I think that people who lend so much importance to a few peices of paper are selling themselves short, and that it is a form of idol worship.

AngelC

Contamination is such a subjective thing.
Some people won't let you touch their lucky charms, some won't wear clothes others have used. Some get uncomfortable touching shopping carts without wiping them off and 90% of it all is in the mind of the person doing it.
When it comes to tarot, how you feel about your cards, if you're relaxed and focused or thinking about whether that other person washed their hands last time they visited the bathroom or not does affect your readings.

It is something some people feel strongly about and perhaps not the best subject to make fun of even if it's not meant to hurt anyone.
It's also kinda funny to read endless threads about how nothing you do can be wrong, read as YOU want to, do things the way YOU feel is right and then find people telling you to think and feel a certain way all of a sudden because this is the way it "IS".

It's all opinions and if you have one that differs from the rest, recognize it for what it is - YOUR opinion. Express it but don't use it to ridicule someone else, even if it's just meant as harmless fun.
Personally I'm not sensitive or easily offended but I do react when people try to tell me what to think and when others obviously feels targeted.
This is about finding inspiration and the right mood and if someone needs to follow a certain set of rules to do it or hop around the table in yellow pants and a silly hat on a full moon to do his best readings then go for it!

(My own view happens to be something inbetween. I don't let just anyone touch them, but I'm not paranoid about it)