The Catholic Encyclopedia Online

Abrac

This might be old news but I have never heard it mentioned here before so I thought I would post it. I ran across this online Catholic encyclopedia yesterday. It was originally published in 1914 in 16 volumes and has TONS of historical information which some Tarot enthusiasts might find interesting. I've only begun to scratch the surface, but I've already noticed there seem to be quite a few old b/w pictures. :)

The Catholic Encyclopedia

BodhiSeed

When my daughter was in a Catholic school (our family is not Catholic) we relied on this website alot, especially in trying to figure out what they were talking about in her religion class. It never dawned on me that it could be used for tarot information!! Abrac, please keep us posted on any tidbits you find.

Thanks,
Bodhran

room

Yes, I use this all the time--comes in very handy with various Saints decks I have.

It's a great resource.

StellarMyst

Interesting take...I agree. :)

Sophie

Oh, it's a mine of information - I've often relied on it. Good for posting the link!

rachelcat

The sections on the cardinal virtues are very helpful! (It also helps to answer the "where is the Prudence card" question!)

le pendu

rachelcat said:
The sections on the cardinal virtues are very helpful! (It also helps to answer the "where is the Prudence card" question!)
It does?

--

I use it all the time. Half the time when I search for something tarot history related, it is in the top results.

Of course, it not the Bible.. ;) ;) ;) , so do remember that it is a prejudiced source, but a great one.

room

le pendu said:
so do remember that it is a prejudiced source, but a great one.

Hahaha. Just like this forum!

MeeWah

Abrac: Many thanks for taking the time to share not only for the Tarot-related, but a fascinating cornucopia of information in its own right.