Playing Cards: Spades

Little Baron

Well, here are my initial/personal thoughts and feelings about the Spades. I could have made these notes in my journal, but I always think my writing carries more weight when I am writing with the purpose of someone else reading it. If anyone does read it ;)

Ace of Spades
This card always looks dark.
It has a reputation.
It is a sharp finish. A conclusion. In that sense, an ending, a death of circumstance. It's blunt, but I feel it has to be.

"I don't want to go out with you anymore"

"I am affraid you are being made redundant"

"I am sorry to tell you that your sister didn't make it"

Of course, real death is not predicted in the cards so often as the death of a trend, way of life or habbit that has had it's day, so it is more likely to symbolise the end of a cycle.

Maybe when you end your affair with a married man because you want to look for someone who is completely yours.
Maybe handing in your notice at work.
Maybe when your skin clears up after years of acne.

Leigh says that when the card is upside down, it suggests that something is happening at a distance. I suppose this might depend on cards around it. If the '8 of Hearts' was next to it, would it signify a celebration or party that is happening somewhere that you have not been invited to? (cue the '4 of Hearts').

Two of Spades
This card suggests abrupt change.
Leaving your office job to train to be a lion tamer? Maybe a little extreme of an example, but generally, it does look at situations that twist and turn and alter the outcome. Maybe you go for a job to do one thing and end up being offered a more demanding or quite different role.
Maybe you go out for the night expecting to catch the eye of a certain girl. But for some reason, you end up in the wrong place and meet another lady, much better than you could have dreamed of.
Abrupt change might be something that you are in control of, also. It might suggest being indeciesive.

Three of Spades
Unexpected results. Attending to routine matters and events.
I see this as some kind of pleasant reward in daily life - meeting up with an old best friend while buying the groceries, finding a £5 tucked down the seat on the bus, being rewarded for going out of your way to help another.

Four of Spades
Illness and depression are the makings of Leigh's interpretation.
And the darkness of the spades remind me of the corners of a bed. I can imagine being laid out inbetween them - whether unwell or sad.
When I have been depressed in the past, all I have wanted to do is sleep.

Five of Spades
The five spades flare up like flames. This is the card of anger.
Sometimes anger is necessary. You need it to move on. Get it off your chest!
It never does any good holding it in. Otherwise you end up back at the '4' - holding anger and frustrations within can make you ill. This is a card of release. I think it warns us to let go when we need to, but also warns us of how destructive our anger might be in certain situations (other cards will tell us where and when).

Taking a break ... will be back with more a little later.

LB

Mystic Leo

LittleBuddha said:
Well, here are my initial/personal thoughts and feelings about the Spades. I could have made these notes in my journal, but I always think my writing carries more weight when I am writing with the purpose of someone else reading it. If anyone does read it ;)
LB

Hi LittleBuddha, I am quite sure a lot of people here read it! I know I do and am most grateful for your input, and also to Phoenix Rising, I'm hoping to be able to grasp playing card reading a little better with these threads. Although I dont have the confidence to say too much, I am certainly watching and taking notes, thanks again to you both!

:grin:

Joermit

hey...

great start on the spades as well... it is a challenging suit... but not a bad as the rap it often gets...lol... good job...

Leo... nice to see you're interested in PCs too... they're great... I hope you enjoy working with them as much as I do...

Joey

Phoenix Rising

I'm enjoying reading your feelings to the suits LB.
That Ace of spade is exactly what it means, endings and sometimes death.
I had this trio show up Q:spade: A:spade: 5:diamond: It was the day our Maori Queen died, I heard about it on the news( 5:diamond: ) So yep, it will tell you, although her death was something we expected. A few days before that, a got the cards Q:spade: A:heart: 4:spade: The A:heart: is also my "heart" card. she suffered a heart attack, that day of my daily trio. and she was then sent home to live out her last days.

The spade is a heavier emotional suit, but all necessary of course. It is from these lessons that we gain our wisdom. I don't get so spooked when I see spades anymore, as there are some neutral cards like the 2, 3, 6, 10 & Ace..so it's not really a bad suit anymore, not like other methods. All the suits have it's neutrality, positive and negative..so that's good. There is one card that I don't like to see..but that's coming up in another thread..the diamonds.

Leo: Good to see you interested, as well..we will do all we can help make reading the PC's a little easier.

Joermit: Great to have your input in as always..It can be a bit difficult when we're studying another method..but you have the experience with certain techniques and how we can read them together.

I'll put up a trio when you've finished with the other cards LB.

Little Baron

Thanks PR. Your writing helps me understand. Cheers.

LB

Little Baron

6 of Spades
Caution! Red alert! Don't go there!
Unlike the pleasant red road, open and free, in the '6 of Hearts', this pathway is black and unpleasant. It is run, either side, with dark, heavy spades, which feel sharp to the touch. There is trouble ahead. You will need to proceed carefully and cautiously. I see this card as a big road sign, saying 'STOP!'.

It may be that you need to handle someone with care. You might need to keep a better eye on your spending. You may be rushing in to quickly in a new relationship, when really, you might need to get to know each other slowly.

This card is also a sign of pregnancy, apparently. But I also see it as 'prevention being better than cure'. Take precautions if you do not want an unplanned pregnancy. And in all things physical, protect yourself. This may speak of the 'correct planning for children', but in physical safety, it might concern the correct procedure of 'getting yourself home from a night out' - is the cab booked? Or maybe you should take the main road, rather than the alley-way, even if it is a longer route.

7 of Spades
Loss.
A sad, but reflective card. I can feel that emptyness in the spades, which for me, symbolise gravestones. The one in the middle is the important one - it is the one which holds some significance for you.
Something is gone ... and it is not coming back. This card does not predict death, but it may be a response to the 'Ace' of this suit - possibly sometime afterwards, when the loss has been acknowledged. It might also reflect the loneliness that comes with that.
For me, the only person I was very close to that has been taken from me, is my friend's mother. And I understand the pain of knowing that I may not see that person again. There is a finality in this card.

It seems to me, that the 7, 8 and 9 all deal with similar aspects of human suffering. The Loss (that which provokes pain and anxiety), the tears (the physical and natural response) and grief (in the case of unresolved issues, this might be what you are left with).

8 of Spades
"You need to cry"
"Go on, let it all out"
People say this to us. And don't we all feel better when we have had a good cry? In that sense, we respond to the loss in the 7. We have to. It is healthy.

Your boyfriend dumps you and you spend two days in your room crying, holding his photo, now that you have parted and no longer can hold him.

Your dog is lost. You cry for his safety and hope that he will return. It is all necessary and a way of unloading.

But there may also be negative conotations. Do you cry too often? Do you bring on the waterworks to get something or someone's attention - mixed with the card of 'untruth', it may be a device of either yours or someone elses.

9 of Spades
Grief is a little different than the last two cards. For it is longer lasting. It is almost like a condition, rather than something that is happened or a reaction to something that has happened.
Grief is knowing that you will never see your grandmother again.
Grief is watching your house and all your personal possessions burnt to the floor.
It or whoever aint never coming back, and you are left thinking 'what if I had done this', what if I had just said this'.
I am lucky to say that I saw my friends mother just before she died. I almost, without knowing it at the time, was saying goodbye.
Unfortunately, another person I know committed suicide quite recently. He and I didn't always get on, but last year, we made it up and had a nice long evening together at a stag night.
When I found out that he had killed himself, I experienced the '8 of Spades' - the tears - the physical response. Of course I am sad that he is no longer here, but if I had not have repaired our relationship and made up, I think I would always feel guilty. Feuds and the like (in my case, the anger of the '5 of Spades' directed at him) can often be petty. This card reminds us to tie up all loose ends with people because you never know what might happen unexpectedly. The '9 of Spades' is not a nice place to be, I imagine.

10 of Spades
A journey.
Something that takes you from one place to another.
Rather than a spiritual or mental journey, I am seeing this as physical.
You are going somewhere. The other cards wil tell you who to, where to and with whom.

I have enjoyed reading these five. Something is clicking. I am feeling more confident. Does it show in my posts?

LB

Phoenix Rising

Good feelings on the cards..I just want to note that I have found the 8:spade: one of my favourite cards. and although it can be an emotionally deep card, which key word is "tears" tears are very much healing for ones soul, so I prefer to call them healing tears. Through observation I have also assigned, "healing" or spiritual matters with this card...I gained this though..Healing tears and water..in Maori the word for spirit is Wairua which translated means two waters, the good and the bad. Water is the most important element, we are made up of it, we just can't survive without it.
Although spade is in my opinion a "fire suit"...hearts or water is more of an emotional suit...and fire is the pure emotion of "will" same as fire..Healing using the hands..is a "fire" characteristic..like the "kundalini" raw energy...that to me is fire...anger...is a fire quality, rather than a heart quality..as anger can eat and burn away...energy again. this is what the spade suit invokes in me when I see it....I love it!!

Get to love those spade, and you won't get spooked everytime you see it. 9:spade: would probably be the worst in the spade suit..grief and worry...though it doesn't necessarily mean that it is a real "serious" concern, how you or I perceive and worry about can be few and far between. I could worry, because I left the dishes sitting in the sink and I didn't vac the floor and visitors are coming..that sort of thing (I don't worry about that anymore)

The 10 spade...is the card of journeys..we mostly see it as a physical journey, but spiritual and emotional journey would also come under this. Remember this is a neutral card...and it means journey...all kinds of journeys, or trips that are important to take..like a trip to see the doctor.