Tarot de Paris par Bertrand

Bertrand

Triomphes de Paris par Bertrand

July 2012 update
The website for the Triomphes de Paris is at http://www.tarotparis.com/

Hello

I would have loved to share a trumps only deck I just finished (except for the backs).

This is a handmade blockprinted deck (linocut instead of woodcut for practical motivations) made as much as possible in the spirit of the ancient cardmakers (as I understand it), mostly inspired by the Jacques Vieville deck. It's rather small, the cards are 6x9 cm, and the frames are about 6 centimeters high and 3 and a half centimeters wide.

No title yet but as it is made in Paris and by me, the thread title Triomphes de Paris is at least apropriate !

toustriomphes700.jpg

XVIIetc700.JPG

XIXetc700.JPG

Any feedback welcome (altough as the engraving is done there obviously won't be much change)

Bertrand

Attachments

• toustriomphes700.jpg
    toustriomphes700.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 212
  • XIXetc700.JPG
    XIXetc700.JPG
    304.3 KB · Views: 170

Moonbow

Wow! How very clever, I like these allot Bertrand.

kenji

Hi Bertrand,

How beautiful! I really like this deck.
A real work of art:)

GryffinSong

Wonderful cards, Bertrand!!! I'm a huge fan of woodblocks and yours are great! I hope you're planning to sell them. :)

Bertrand

thank you very much for this feedback Evie, Kenji and Gryffinsong,
GryffinSong said:
I'm a huge fan of woodblocks
to be precise (and fair) I shall write again here that although I would have loved to work on wood, I didn't have the opportunity to do so this time, and used linoleum instead - which is technically very close but a lot more adapted to the small flat I live in - so these are linocuts !

Moonbow

Bertrand is the word Vielart and old French word, I haven't heard of it for the Hermit before. Is that the Hermit?

GryffinSong

Bertrand said:
thank you very much for this feedback Evie, Kenji and Gryffinsong,
to be precise (and fair) I shall write again here that although I would have loved to work on wood, I didn't have the opportunity to do so this time, and used linoleum instead - which is technically very close but a lot more adapted to the small flat I live in - so these are linocuts !

Oops, my mistake. Yes, I realized they were lino cuts, but woodcut slipped out of my fingers. LOL

Either way, they're lovely!!!

Le Fanu

Bertrand, this deck is superb. I absolutely love it and I am a real aficcionado of Vieville and this has something of the spirit and I am very possessive about my beloved Vieville - and not easily pleased :D - but you have honoured this deck in a way which bounces off it to create something new.

I love the "boxed" feel to it, and the feeling of something very much hand-produced.

This deck has such character, such expressiveness, such magic!

I want to buy one asap. Where & When ????

prudence

I LOVE this deck, Bertrand!!!! You did an amazing job with the linocuts!!!

Could you be coerced, prodded or in any way begged into doing a full 78 card deck? Pretty please???

Bertrand

Hello again Evie,

VIELART is the word used by Vieville, it translates to "Old man", in today's french it is "vieillard". But "VIELART" may also be read as "vieil art", that is "old art".

I took some liberties with the names, following as much as possible the ace of Deniers and two of Cups from Vieville (hence the reversed S), but I chose not to include the articles, CHARIOT and Roue DE FORTUNE are not named by Vieville, VIELART targets the Hermit, as you noticed, temperance is the DAME. Also there's no YVGEMENT in Vieville, but the name TROMPE or SON DE TROMPE didn't feel right - "trompe" means "miss" or "fail" or "cheat" or "lie" in today's french so it didn't fit - so I forged the word YVGEMENT (= jugement = judgement) from YVSTICE.
MA and BAGA are named as in Vieville, without final T.

Also you may notice there's (purposely) a U instead of a V in the LUNE.

Don't let me speak too much !

Bertrand