The Icky Green Deck- Not so icky!

Grigori

gregory said:
Similia - just looked at the scans of yours Jeannette posted. Are your borders really that cream coloured ?

Of course its impossible to see what your monitor shows you, but the scans as they appear on my monitor are color accurate to the deck. The borders are really very light on my cards. The border itself is almost white, the grey effect coming from the pattern painted on it.

This is (in my understanding at least) the version currently being produced.

gregory

This is for Deanres in the first instance - the backs of my three. I hadn't realised how dull the colours on the Muller are; the best by far (IMO) is my OTO.

Similia - if you look at the scans you posted for TG, grey isn't a word I would use.... and all the other decks' decorated borders look grey on my monitor (well except the green one...!)

Attachments

• thoth backs.jpg
    thoth backs.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 106

Lillie

gregory said:
Oh hum whee.

Well - no, Lillie - I bought mine in the early 70s - but that still rules out it being a 1977 print. My greeny has no details at all attached, but it IS a nice wooden box ! And I like the colour actually !

Oh well. I am still non the wiser about the dates of those earliest versions in the 2 part boxes. Though I believe that they all predate 77 when the first greenie appeared. (I expect I will discover differently when I check out the Tarot Garden library!)
What nice boxes though! It would be nice if they still made boxes as sturdy and as easy to use as them!

The person who sold me my 'distributed by Weiser' deck said it was bought in 73. But I think that was just because the Thoth book that was with it was 73.

If I ever find the article about the Hong Kong deck that I was on about, I'll let eveyone know. But, until I do, it will have to remain in the 'things I think I remember' folder in my brain.

I like the green colour too. But then I have never had a modern, bright copy to compare with. Only the older one.
Which, when I compare, throws up some quite interesting differences in colour tone. Some being much darker and duller, others being far brighter and more colourful.

The reason I started trying to find out about the different editions was that I was after a greenie with a red and black hexagram, and didn't want to get the wrong deck.
I had already made one mistake, and ended up with the old one instead!
Which got me interested in them...
But I never did get it all straight in my head, it's far too complicated.

It's a shame about the faded cards, but I'm sort of glad it's not just mine. Not that I'm pleased that anyone elses are faded, just that mine are 'normal' for their species.

Thin Buddah.
Thank you!
That is exactly what I needed to know.
I like the cross on the backs, and it would be a shame if 'trimming' cut off bits of it!

So, if I get my hands on a modern deck, I might just trim it! (I feel so naughty! cutting a deck, it's almost heresy!)

gregory

Get a cheap one on e-bay to trim !!!

I think all your answers are on the TG page. I have no hexagram card in ANY of mine though :( (that's greeny, OTO and Muller in 2 sizes. I hope the Urania one has one when it comes out. Don't suppose USG does ?)

Lillie

Yes, I'll be hunting ebay.

I believe that the red and black hex only came with the greenies. Presumably the USG and the Weiser versions.
But it seems to have gone the way of the box and LWB with your deck! But you did get a nice wooden box instead. :)

There is a multi coloured hex card with some of the modern decks.
Emily posted a scan of hers for me to see, when I was wondering wether to get a new deck, or to try to get a secondhand green one.
But, like the three magi, it's not in all editions.
Possibly the modern USG does, or the modern Weiser. But I really would not like to say.
A lot of the current ones in the USG boxes are (acording to what has been said here on AT) just Muller ones in a USG box.
When I was trying to do the thread with the list of editions, I found all these modern editions even more confusing than the old ones!
Also, this multi coloured hex has a white border around it, like the one on the backs, and this takes away some of the impact (to me at least).

If I do get one to trim, I suppose I'll be looking for one with the multi coloured hex, and hope it trims to the right size without spoiling it.

Yes! I want to go to Tarot Garden to have all my questions answered, but I havn't been able to get in tonight. I keep getting the 'unavaliable' page.
But I'll be trying again later.

Grigori

gregory said:
Similia - if you look at the scans you posted for TG, grey isn't a word I would use.... and all the other decks' decorated borders look grey on my monitor (well except the green one...!)

The background of the border is almost white as I said, but the lines are grey. Its the only "grey one" I've seen in the flesh, so can't comment on how it compared to others IRL. I've attached a scan of the UH that came with this deck. Its the rainbow one, and I think is standard in the USG version.

(PS I cannot get on to TG either, so maybe they are down at the moment :( )

Attachments

• 78.JPG
    78.JPG
    13.3 KB · Views: 131

Lillie

That looks really beautiful!

There were no white borders around the edge.
Is that how it is? or have they just got missed off the scan?

BTW. Gregory, some of the Muller decks have the rainbow hex too.
I saw one tonight on the net. I thought they all had the magi instead, but obviously not.

Jeannette

similia said:
PS I cannot get on to TG either, so maybe they are down at the moment :( )
Not sure why everyone's reporting difficulties... the site's been up all day, and all email service has been continuing uninterrupted. Y'all might want to try and give it another shot.

-- Jeannette
The Tarot Garden

Grigori

Lillie said:
There were no white borders around the edge.
Is that how it is? or have they just got missed off the scan?

It has a thin white border on the front of the UH, much the same as the border around the backs. It would of course look far better without the border which is why I removed it on that scan (which I use in Orphalese).

I just did a fresh one where the border can be seen.

Jeannette said:
Not sure why everyone's reporting difficulties... the site's been up all day, and all email service has been continuing uninterrupted. Y'all might want to try and give it another shot.

Working fine for me now. Must have been one of those things. *shrugs*

Attachments

• unicursalhexagram.JPG
    unicursalhexagram.JPG
    14.6 KB · Views: 99

Lillie

Yep.

I been there now, too.
Probably my pooter. She's rubbish!

Yes, Similla. I agree. It does look better without the white border!

Today, on ebay UK a deck of the Llwellyn cards went up.
Loads are missing apparently.

And the seller has pulled the date of 71 from somewhere. Possibly the date they bought it, if it was theirs originally, but who knows.

According to the text these are the Llewellyns that are printed in the USA.
The picture does not show the words, but taking the seller at face value, and knowing I have seen other decks on the net that say that, here are the third varient of the 'gold box' thoths.

I can see some cards still in the box. And mine sometimes get stuck in the box and don't come out. So perhaps there are more than the seller says.
Though I can't imagine 14 being stuck there. Shame.

Funny added extra of completely the wrong LWB! :)

Also, having seen quite a few of these boxes on the net I have noticed that some of the inner, gold boxes have those notches at the top. And that some don't.
Mine does. Good thing too or I would never get the stuck cards out!

But god knows if that particular pedantic observation has any meaning or not.