I need some clarification.....PLEASE

sapienza

The other night I had a dream that prompted me to get out my Thoth deck again. The Thoth was my second deck but I have never been able to read with it and haven't really looked at it for years. Anyway, I bought my deck in about 2001 (ish) and it's the large US Games version in the green box with the Two of Disks on the front.

I did some research here about different versions, waded through what felt like about a hundred different threads and now feel like my head is about to explode. From what I can gather, the most vibrant of the newer editions is the Blue Box large Swiss edition printed by AGMuller? Am I right? Going by the scans on-line, my Green box version seems awfully washed out in comparison. I'd very much love a more vibrant edition but to my dismay it seems that the Swiss edition is no longer available. Am I right?

I must say I'm so confused, and I haven't even started using the deck yet :laugh: I'm not going to be put off though, the dream was really amazing and I'm sure that I'm meant to be working with this deck right now.

Oh, one final thing.....IF I was going to trim the deck (and it's just an if at this stage), then I'd need a version that had a white border on the back so as not to lose any of the cross when trimming. And from what I can tell, it's the AGMuller version that has the white borders, not my green box version? I notice on Tarot Gardens site they say that the current green box version is almost identical to the currently unavailable blue box Swiss version. Can anyone confirm this? Does it have white borders on the back? Is it brighter than older editions?

I apologise in advance if these questions have been answered before. I honestly feel like I've read every thread I could find on the different versions and I still feel so confused. Thanks in advance for any help.

Grigori

I think you need to be encouraged in this endevour Sapienza :D Apparently yes, the current Green Box's are the same as the large Blue Boxes. I forget the location of the threads, but Umbrae has confirmed it repeatedly.

My Green Box that I bought 2-3 years ago has the white border, and came with the AGM sticker on the skrink wrap, so I guess this has been so for sometime.

I'd suggest next time your in a tarot store, take your thoth deck and compare it to the boxed ones. The cards are sealed, but you can open the box and still see the backs and the front of one card so can make a good guess as to the difference. And then when you see how great the deck looks, you can buy it on the spot :D

And do trim it, you'll love it. I've got a corner puncher I could loan you.... })

sapienza

Hi there Similia. Funny you should be the first to reply to my post. I was tossing up between posting in the forum and sending you a PM to be truthful :) Seeing your trimmed Thoth does inspire me to trim mine that is for sure. I doubt my ability not to make a complete mess of it though.

Thanks for the info. I have seen a few of the green box editions around lately and they are all shrinkwrapped on the outside of the box as well. I was thinking I'd just check for the AGMuller sticker on the shrinkwrap over the cards but this doesn't seem to be an option. But, given what you've said, I think I'll just go ahead and get myself a green edition. I was going to order it from overseas as it works out SO much cheaper, but of course that means I have to wait longer. I guess it will give me some time to psych myself up ready for the big trim!!!

Until then I'll spend some time with my older edition and try to work out what books I should buy :)

Thanks again for your help.

Grigori

sapienza said:
Seeing your trimmed Thoth does inspire me to trim mine that is for sure. I doubt my ability not to make a complete mess of it though.

It really was quite easy to trim, the lines are all drawn for you, and a corner punch finishes the job nicely. I was also scared making the first cut, and practised on the extra cards until I felt more comfortable with the scissors on the card stock. Good scissors really help.

Sapienze said:
I have seen a few of the green box editions around lately and they are all shrinkwrapped on the outside of the box as well.

Thats a shame. I've not noticed that when I've checked. This must be a recent change, so I'd assume any deck with a shrinkwrapped box is the right one for you. Though ordering via the net means this information is useless for you :|

Sapienza said:
Until then I'll spend some time with my older edition and try to work out what books I should buy :)

You could do it all in one big order. A Thoth deck, Crowley's "Understanding the Thoth Deck", Snuffins "Thoth Companion" and of course Crowley's "Book of Thoth" should keep you busy for quite some time.... }) (enabler, and proud, but I consider it "returning the favor" ;) )

Star-Willow

Hi sapienza, long time no *see* :)

I trimmed my deck but it took me a few days of indecision until I just went for it..... I was so happy when I did because, WOW!! the art work just jumped off the cards!! :)

similia said:
And do trim it, you'll love it. I've got a corner puncher I could loan you....

I have to agree, after I trimmed mine I borrowed similia's corner punch to finish it off...... just beautiful :)

similia said:
You could do it all in one big order. A Thoth deck, Crowley's "Understanding the Thoth Deck", Snuffins "Thoth Companion" and of course Crowley's "Book of Thoth" should keep you busy for quite some time.... }) (enabler, and proud, but I consider it "returning the favor" ;) )

Don't forget Lon Milo Duquette's book :)

Grigori

Star-Willow said:
Don't forget Lon Milo Duquette's book :)

Oops, that is the one I meant. Not sure why I typed Crowley for the author.. :confused: 'Duquette's Understand the Thoth Deck"

But you should join the legion of thoth trimmers anyway :D One of us, one of us, one of us.... })

sapienza

Star-Willow said:
Hi sapienza, long time no *see* :)

Hello. I know it's been quite awhile between posts for me. I spent a few months basically 'unplugged' from my computer as we had a few family dramas and it was a good time for me to take a bit of a tarot break. After going to the Rachel Pollack weekend though I'm now re-inspired and ready to go......with the Thoth of all things :)

similia said:
You could do it all in one big order. A Thoth deck, Crowley's "Understanding the Thoth Deck", Snuffins "Thoth Companion" and of course Crowley's "Book of Thoth" should keep you busy for quite some time.... (enabler, and proud, but I consider it "returning the favor" )

Thanks for the enabling! I am working up to a big purchase....I can feel it in my bones. I was planning to get Duquette's book and also the Snuffin one. I have been looking at Book of Thoth which I got on-line. I'm assuming it's the same as the printed one. By the way, have you ordered your Alchemical Renewed yet???

Star-Willow said:
I trimmed my deck but it took me a few days of indecision until I just went for it..... I was so happy when I did because, WOW!! the art work just jumped off the cards!! :)

I think I will do it, once I get myself another copy of the deck. I'll invest in some decent scissors. I read in a lot of the trimming threads that people use the paper cutters but I feel like there would be even more potential to stuff it up that way, if it wasn't lined up exactly the right way.

Anyway, I'm enjoying the Thoth so much more than I had expected. I've had it so long and it's always just seemed an enigma to me....I'd look at it and get ....nothing! Anyway, a voice in my dream the other night assured me that if I was to start working with it now all the meanings of each card would be crystal clear to me. Well, I don't know about crystal clear, but suddenly the deck is speaking to me and I'm amazed at how much more I understand it already...even with no books yet :)

Hopefully one day I'll get myself organised and make it over to a south side tarot meeting and catch up with you both. It's tricky as my daughter has swimming Saturday mornings and we only have one car. Thanks so much for your help.

sapienza

I was just talking about my new interest in the Thoth over in a different thread but thought I'd talk about it here as well, where it's actually much more relevant!

I mentioned earlier that I had an older edition of the deck. I'd heard all the talk about the 'green' versions and always wondered what they looked like. I thought mine was a bit green but mostly grey. Anyway, I caught up with some tarot friends last night and one had a new Thoth and when I put mine beside it I almost fell of my chair laughing. Mine is SO green. I used to think it was greyish but NOW I understand the whole green thing. All this time I've had a greenie and didn't know it. The colours in the new editions are SO much more vibrant and the details are so much easier to see. The only very sad thing is that the backs now have white borders which is nowhere near as special as the borderless back. Stil, you can't have everything I guess.

Also I have now order both the Duquette and Snuffin books and have been referring to Book of Thoth on-line. I also got the medium sized deck, kind of an impuse purchase, which I just love. The colours are amazing, it's wonderful to shuffle and the details are so much clearer than my big GREEN one despite the smaller size. Even the borders and keywords are growing on me. I may still get the large one and trim it though.....why not? :D

I feel like this deck is really drawing me it.....I've gone from thinking very little of it to loving it almost overnight.....is this normal? :)

balenciaga

Can I ask, what is the benefit of trimming the Thoth deck? You don't like the borders and key words, and/or? Both?

balenciaga

sapienza said:
I feel like this deck is really drawing me it.....I've gone from thinking very little of it to loving it almost overnight.....is this normal?

Your thoth has chosen you to adopt:)