found a new friend

jog1118

just got the thoth last week and would just like to share the first two cards i drew:

1. How will you speak to me (i was asking the deck) - Prince of cups
- what the deck was telling me was that it was going to work with me on a more intuitive level in contrast to what i was expecting (with all the symbolism the thoth has)

2. How should i react? - 6 of Cups (pleasure)
- my deck is telling me to enjoy the cards, the pictures and their colors. do not dilly-dally with all the astrological / kabbalistic / etc. symbolisms. this card confirms card 1 above where it tells me to let my intuition work.

what do you guys think?

Mimers

Jog,

I am with you. I really enjoy this deck. I don't worry about all of the esoteric meanings hidden in them. Maybe somewhere down the line I will. I just really enjoy the artwork and colors in this deck. It is a great deck. I love especially the Princess of Disks. She reminds me of myself.

I have been exploring the Majors using James Wanless' book, New Age Tarot. He has created a spread for each major that helps you explore that card as related to you. Great book and can be used with any deck really.

Mimi

Mystic Zyl

Jog looks like a match made in heaven! Although I feel the Prince is saying you will have to study the Thoth; the Prince is going to play hard to get at first. You always value it more if you have to work for it.

tigerlily 6563

I love the artwork on the Thoth deck and symbolism although find it comfusing sometimes. It sounds like the deck is for you. Enjoy

Thea Lynx

Thoth

Hi Jog,

I have felt since the first time I worked with my Thoth deck (over a year ago) that it was my power deck. Often, when I am just pulling a few cards for guidance, I go wtih the feelings the cards evoke in me, don't even both to look up meanings. However, when I am doing a formal reading for myself, I use Zieglars, Mirror of the Soul for meanings, affirmations, etc and have found it marvolously helpful. This deck seems to go straight to the matters most deal and troubling to my soul, it has never dealt with the petty aspects of day to day life, which is why I feel it is my power deck. I also can't imagine sharing this deck with anyone - the thought of anyone else's energy on the cards does not please me - anyone else this possessive about their Thoth?

Lynx

Simone

Hi, Lynx, hi everybody,

Being new to Aeclectic, I was reading through the threads to get the feeling of it.

I just saw Lynx's statement about being possessive about the Thoth deck.

I have owned a Crowley Thoth deck for years, but I have only recently really started to work with it, like 4 months or so, and it seems that these cards have a fabulous potential, and I can express that I feel more or less the same about people "fiddling about" :) with my cards. I would want them to at least ask for permission to do so. If I am reading cards for persons present, I'll always ask them to chose their cards, of course.

But if ever someone starts just "playing" with them, touching them (I interpret it as a means of searching comfort, they seem to need something to touch for security, like someone playing around with his lighter or a pen, etc), I'm starting to feel possessive. Often, I ask the person not to do this, and more often than not they are willing.

If it happens that someone leaves their energy on your deck (and I think it can only happen if you believe it can), you can always think of looking up or inventing some way or ritual to clean or protect your cards. What do you think?

With love to everyone
Simone

skytwig

I first met the Thoth cards when an artist friend pulled her deck out and read for me......

I was stunned. She and I and another friend were working together in a cozy garage turned into a studio and I was in the process of discovering Prismacolour pencils...... The Thoth cards seemed right in line with what i was dicovering.....

I wish i remembered the 3 card reading.... i'll have to dig through some old journals to see if i wrote it down..... i know the 8 wands were one of the cards and it was appropriate to the energy that was exploding in my Creativity!

And yes...... no one touches my Thoths...... ;)

jog1118

Mystic Zyl said:
Jog looks like a match made in heaven! Although I feel the Prince is saying you will have to study the Thoth; the Prince is going to play hard to get at first. You always value it more if you have to work for it.

just wanted everyone to know that, YES!...i read more about the thoth (astrology, kabbalah, etc...)

mystic zyl: you were right :D

:smoker:

yve

From what you guys say, i'm soexcited to learn my Thoth cards..I will be drawing from your wisdom!...Jog, i love that spread you did to find out your relationship with you and your cards...sounds like it might be useful whenever one gets a new deck and wants to figure out how you will relate to them!

jog1118

yve said:
From what you guys say, i'm soexcited to learn my Thoth cards..I will be drawing from your wisdom!...Jog, i love that spread you did to find out your relationship with you and your cards...sounds like it might be useful whenever one gets a new deck and wants to figure out how you will relate to them!

...that's one of the things i learned here at aeclectic when "breaking in" a new deck. there's a thread somewhere in talking tarot or tarot decks you might want to look for about this.

:smoker: