Dreams? Nightmares & Thoth?

Cerulean

I am fascinated and would like to hear people's dreams with Thoth decks.
I've never had bad dreams with the Thoth as an inspiration or problem. But more than three people have reported Thoth-based dreams and mentioned there was some trouble or concern.

Could it be that your learnings and associations are awakening with this deck as no other?

Sometimes when I have 'big theme' reoccuring dreams about a certain grandparent's home, etc., I do have a certain feeling of significent dreams.

The only significant dream that I remember where a tarot deck was a bit tiresome was after starting to study Milanese and Thoth decks, I had dreams of the Rider Waite Smith. The HP, Magician and the first five cards of the Rider Waite Smith were floating upright targets moving along a bar in front of a shell-shaped background. The deck had the vivid coloring of the 1992 edition. I did a little comparative study including the Rider Waite Smith or an equivalent and never had the dream again. My first big study deck a year or two before the dream was the Arthurian Hallowquest.

I do sometimes see one or two Thoth design details in my dreams or flash in my mind: but the aha that comes usually is happy and with recognition.

May I hear in this thread perhaps a bit of your learning scenario or good dream/bad dream and Thoth? Did things get better for you?

Phoenyx*

You know, after reading that people had nightmares with the Thoth, I decided to sleep with it for one night. Nothing happened, no bad dreams, no dreams out of the ordinary period, no bad sleeping patterns, it was just another night for me.

I guess sleeping with Crowley just doesn't do anything for me. ;)

Centaur

Triquetra said:
I guess sleeping with Crowley just doesn't do anything for me. ;)

LOL.

Mari, I think that the images in the Thoth are very powerful and potent. For instance, when I first saw those court-cards I felt quite dizzy. I know that when I first bought the Thoth, I did have dreams pertaining to the imagery, but none of which were frightening or disturbing. Just the usual sort of dreams in which a card or two would pop up.

I am thinking that some people may tend towards nightmares when using the Thoth because of preconceived notions relating to Mr Crowley. Many people consider him to have been involved in all sorts of unsavoury-doings. Perhaps those who believe or even think about this on some level subconsciously attach these same beliefs to the deck, thus leading to the manifestation of particularly nasty nightmares. Just a thought.

C

poivre

I'm beginning to feel that Thoth opens up awareness very bluntly. With this dreams I think would be more vivid because "awareness has been altered."

Just an idea. I wouldn't sleep with this deck, just because something doesn't sit right with me & this deck, but I put the other ones in my pillowcase.

Centaur

ros said:
I'm beginning to feel that Thoth opens up awareness very bluntly. With this dreams I think would be more vivid because "awareness has been altered."

Good point Ros. But I think that different decks 'do it' for different people. In my opinion, it is a very personal thing. Therefore, if the Universal-Waite is screaming out at someone, then one would expect the same effect: awareness to be opened bluntly.

Perhaps those who have such vivid-dreams relating to the Thoth are those whom the deck has called out to on a very deep level?

However, I feel that I totally connected with the Thoth on first looking at the cards. Again, I had dreams, but no disturbing ones.

C

Hedera

I'm still not a regular Thoth user (although most of my favourite decks are Thoth-based, like the Cosmic Tribe and the Swedish Witch), but I do look at it often, and occasionally study it a little.

I had a dream about the Thoth Empress a while ago; I don't remember much of it, but it was wonderful. Very green and friendly, a sense of growing and calm expansion (like plants starting to grow again after the winter).

crystal cove

Wow, I must be boring. I've never had any nightmares over a deck of cards......and I'd never give cardboard and ink so much importance that I'd let them sleep with me. ;)

Centaur

twenty~one said:
Wow, I must be boring. I've never had any nightmares over a deck of cards......and I'd never give cardboard and ink so much importance that I'd let them sleep with me. ;)

I do hope that people are using protection ;)

WolfyJames

I got a Thoth deck recently, and so far, I haven't dreamed about it. I got electricity and numbness when I tried to "feel" the deck with my hands, but that's it. I have no issue with the deck, especially since I noticed similarities between it and my Enchanted (Zerner-Farber).

lark

Well I looked through my Thoth last night before I went to bed and I had a dream.
I dreamt my husband bought me a used second hand Metro portable toilet stall for my birthday.
He had it standing proudly in the middle of my flower bed.

Yes, I would classify it as a nightmare.....