Thoth-ed...

Mi-Shell

On the fleamarket - for 1 $ I got hold of the
"New AgeTarot - Guide to the Thoth Deck" by James Wanless
So far i just put it on my "for a snowy day pile"
Who has that book and what do you think??

Lillie

I haven't read it, but any book for that price has to be worth it!

Scion

Eek.

Wanless' book is kind of notorious. Like Arrien's fluffy mishmosh, Wanless sort of throws Crowley's ideas out and makes up his own system that is neither coherent or particularly pertinent. Not super useful if you're studying the deck and DEEPLY New Agey. (as opposed to New Aeon-y)

He tends to treat the images as if they fell from the sky, and then just free associates a la many 80s self-help writers... :rolleyes: It sort of fails on every level, because his readings are idiosyncratic and personal. To be blunt: who wants to read some half-assed musings by someone who hadn't done their homework. If I'm going to fudge a system, it's going to be MY fudged system.

I wouldn't recommend it. Sorry...

Scion

Papageno

"New Age" and "Thoth" ........I don't know, just doesn't seem right somehow

Scion

Absolutely! I'm very curious/excited to get my paws on this Snuffin book. There are so few good Thoth books and I love hearing new takes on these cards.

Mi-Shell

Thank you for the "heads up", Scion!

Lillie

Scion said:
Eek.

Wanless' book is kind of notorious. Like Arrien's fluffy mishmosh, Wanless sort of throws Crowley's ideas out and makes up his own system that is neither coherent or particularly pertinent. Not super useful if you're studying the deck and DEEPLY New Agey. (as opposed to New Aeon-y)

He tends to treat the images as if they fell from the sky, and then just free associates a la many 80s self-help writers... :rolleyes: It sort of fails on every level, because his readings are idiosyncratic and personal. To be blunt: who wants to read some half-assed musings by someone who hadn't done their homework. If I'm going to fudge a system, it's going to be MY fudged system.

I wouldn't recommend it. Sorry...

Scion
Ah well!

Never mind, for a dollar you could give it to the mice to make bedding out of....

The only book I have read on the Thoth, apart from Crowleys was a book by some bloke called Suster, or something.

Mostly I thought it was quotes from The Wake World, a game to play, and a rant at the end.

I'll have to read it again sometime.
I keep forgetting I have it.

Oh, and there was once a book from the library that had the Thoth images through out, but the text seemed to be about something completely different.
So I didn't read it.

Scion

Suster's book is SPECTACULAR! The Truth about the Tarot. One of my faves. Great rec Lillie. :thumbsup: Very hard to get in the States. Maybe 100pages, but packed with ideas and info and even rules for Tarot Rummy! Before DuQuette it's what I used to recommend to Thoth newbies.

Lillie

Yeah, that's the one.

It's lurking about the house somewhere.......