Opinion of Crowley

WizardOfNines

I found the deck first and learned about the man later

Hi all,
I bought a Rider deck first because it was so popular. I gave me the impression that I was "playing" at reading the cards. Then I found the Thoth Tarot deck and WHAMO! I knew I had found the deep well of tarot.
I wanted to know more so I started on a quest and drank deeply, much too deeply, of Aleister Crawley, information about him by others who had either a very low or very high opinions. Then I found some of the materials he wrote himself and immediately became bogged down in all his 'secrets'. I'm still hip deep in that mire.
Readings using the Thoth deck are deep and significant and, I'll tell you the truth, don't use the Thoth unless you are prepared to deal with the hard deep truth. It knocks my socks off frequently and I have to back off and regroup.
The Thoth deck is much more than Aleister Crawley. I feel he was inspired but, by what I haven't decided. All I know is that it is always right on, like it or not.

Lillie

ravenest said:
It wont effect the cards but .... beware (insert spooky music here) of Crowley himself. He's still around, you know (ravenest looks nervously over his shoulder) and anyone who speaks negativly about the dodgey old pervert can come ..hrM*d%nk}v9Oo^3sl;u arrrghhhh! ... gurgle .. gasp ...

Oh my god!

If you say anything bad about him the old perv comes round and tries to blag money and drugs off you!

Alamaris

Lillie said:
ravenest said:
It wont effect the cards but .... beware (insert spooky music here) of Crowley himself. He's still around, you know (ravenest looks nervously over his shoulder) and anyone who speaks negativly about the dodgey old pervert can come ..hrM*d%nk}v9Oo^3sl;u arrrghhhh! ... gurgle .. gasp ...
Oh my god!

If you say anything bad about him the old perv comes round and tries to blag money and drugs off you!
*immature giggling*

I know my opinion of Crowley flavors the cards, but in a positive light. The deck gives me the impression of a wry, grumpy, sarcastic old master who is just a little bit tetched in the head.

I'm still not sure if I hated the dude that I'd dislike his deck. I greatly dislike Luis Royo for some reason, but I think his Black Tarot is marvellous. Go figure. The creator of the deck isn't what directs the call of the cards; its spirit or energy or subconcious, or whatever you want to call it.