Crowley tarot books?

Storm82

what books have crowley written about tarot besides "Book of thoth" and 777 ?

Scion

The Book of Thoth is really his one book specifically addressing Tarot although references pop up in several books (no surprise given his Golden Dawn roots). There is a book called Tarot Divination, but if memory serves it's a cut-down version of the BoT, intended for "user-friendliness." Gack.

If you haven't ever, you should look at "The Wake World" which is a surreal/startling short story in Konx Om Pax which is about attaining the Knowledge and COnversation of his Holy Guardian Angel and a pretty explicit view of how Crowley saw Tarot as a map of a particular kind of magickal journey/voyage/process. He started writing parts of it back in 1906 but it was finished much later.

There are also elemenst in The Vision and the Voice which (although ostensibly about his skrying of the Aethyrs) are pretty clearly the origin of many of his ideas about his deck... several passages seem to be almost subjective descriptions of certain cards. And it's beautiful devotional writing besides.

But honestly, the Book of Thoth is the topical monolith. That's what you want. :thumbsup: If it helps, just reread it and pretend it's the first time, because it WILL be. LOL It changes every time you read it... it's hilarious and mindblowing and never stops spitting out pearls

Scion.

Aeon418

Scion said:
There is a book called Tarot Divination, but if memory serves it's a cut-down version of the BoT, intended for "user-friendliness." Gack.
Tarot Divination is a reprint of "A Description of the Cards of the Tarot", taken from The Equinox vol.1 no.8. It's basically Crowley's own rendition of Book T and predates BoT by quite a few years.

Scion

Ahhh! Thanks for clarifying that, Aeon. A good thing to know. :)

ravenest

I dont rememebr getting anything really worthwhile from this booklet. It's very brief and seems to pre-date the more recent concept of the Book of Thoth.

Storm82

I have the book of thoth

thankyou for your replies

Lillie

I'm well impressed by the DuQuette book.

Scion

Oh, Lillie, I'm so glad... :) He's pretty great isn't he? And the nicest man, too. How far have you gotten?

Lillie

Scion said:
Oh, Lillie, I'm so glad... :) He's pretty great isn't he? And the nicest man, too. How far have you gotten?

:)
I was well surprised with it.
You know me...
I was always the one who said that all you needed was the BoT.
Well, that's probably true, but the DuQuette book is well worth reading and adds a lot to what the BoT says.
Also I liked the stuff about Harris, that was most interesting as I know so little about her.

I have read the whole of the first part, and very interesting it was too.
Loads of good stuff, really fascinating things are explained that Crowley just took for granted that the reader would know.
And I have been dipping in and out of the card meanings.
Especially been reading the courts, cos I have always had trouble with them.

Really, I would recommend this book to anyone with a Thoth, I'm well happy with it!
I'm finding out loads of stuff!
Cheers!!!!

Bit lost with the decans though... :(

PS. Have you met DuQuette then?

Scion

I got to meet Lon at the Readers Studio here in NYC a couple years ago and we've emailed sporadically since then. A totally humble, informed, charming, hilarious guy who can reduce a room of 200 people learning about Qabalah to tears of laughter with a few sentences. And a working ceremonical magickian. And a blast at a hotel bar packed with Tarot geeks. :thumbsup: If you ever get a chance to hear him speak you'd LOVE him. Plus, he does come to the UK every so often for OTO things.

Now... as for the Decans. Get ready for this! Remember that weird German book you found for me? :) As I type this I'm literally in the process of writing an actual book on the decans using all of this research I've done over the past 3 years. So give me a few months and I'll have something that will "make all clear..." :D I hope. If nothing else it will put all this fabulous information scattered in manuscripts and libraries between covers that people can actually put their hands on. THAT was why I was so excited, and how you helped me so tremendously. More on this soon.

XOXO

Scion