Why were Crowley against the reversals?

Ligator

Do anyone know?

/torbjörn

Dancing Bear

I have absolutely no idea why!! I am only new to studying Crowley and the Thoth..

I personally dont use them because i think there is enough in the upright to be able do a brilliant reading without reversals.. maybe he had the same idea.. I am picking up the Duquette book again tonight , I will keep you in mind and post up if i ever come accross his reasoning behind No reversals..

Sorry i couldnt be of any help yet!!

DB :D

Aeon418

I don't believe Crowley was either for or against reversals. He simply didn't use them because he was taught the system of elemental dignities by the Golden Dawn.

Don SiSi

I think he was against the reversals because he makes it with the beck impossible to use it. I don’t believe that the membership of the Golden Dawn was an issue as Waite was also a member of it. One reason can be, that the Waite deck was published far earlier and he wonted to make a clear difference to the Waite deck.
I believe that the Crowley cards are far clearer in there meaning than the Waite cards so that he didn’t wonted to use a dabble meaning.

rogue

Crowley didn't use reversals because it's not traditional to. I think Waite can be credited for that.

Ross G Caldwell

lampkin said:
Crowley didn't use reversals because it's not traditional to. I think Waite can be credited for that.

No, it is or *was* traditional in cartomancy to use reversals. Etteilla's first book, in 1770, uses them.

His Tarot method does too, if I remember correctly.

Ross

frelkins

That crazy wigmaker Etteilla did it, Ross is right. Blame him for everything! :) Reversals are associated with these "fortune telling methods," whereas elements are less so, and possibly the one thing AC insisted on most strongly was no fortune telling with the Thoth. But Scion or Mary (Tehueti) probably have the most complete answer to this.

rogue

That's interesting Ross. I didn't realize reversals were that old. The way I always saw it, you have a complete world in 78 cards and doubling the cards that way begets confusion. I associate reversals with the fortune telling method you mentioned too. When I first started playing with tarot I tried using reversals, but it felt all wrong so I stopped.

Ligator

I ask, because I use the Thoth with reversals. I know, an unorthodox think to do, but still...

It works for me!