Has tarot replaced communication...

Debra

I'm with you guys.

I'm astounded by questions like, "Why didn't he text me back right away after I texted him?" and "How do I feel about X?" :rolleyes:

It's not just that tarot is replacing communications; it is being used as a substitute for introspection as well.

If you want to know how you feel...try feeling.

eta: Papercut, I know a woman who closed her successful business within a week of asking her pendulum "should I keep the shop open?" The thing on the chain swung sideways and ... three employees out of work, and it was a clothing consignment shop so all the consigners lost their stuff. I don't agree that over reliance on, let us say, "magical" or "metaphysical" tools like tarot and pendulums is harmless.

214red

if i am bored sometimes at weekend i throw out a silly question like, "what would be good for me to do today" usually the answer is go for walk or do housework (usually i ignore it if it says housework) but thats just for fun.

i must admit to not undertanding the questions that are asking for how you feel about something, surely you know?

i have been guilty of asking "how does he feel about me" but to be honest i dont think the answers help me, i dont think its productive for me, and usually i know the answer but i pull out cards for it...so thats soemthing i am winding down on doing...because if it meant alot to me i would simply ask them (i am very gobby)

Alta

To be fair, sometimes it can be a part of a learning process. When I first discovered the I Ching I asked it, oh, roughly, a million questions. That didn't last all that long, but a while. It made me quite adept with the I Ching in the process. Same with tarot.

Personally I also think the premise is over-stated. Yes, it happens but cannot be that generalized. And some people haunt psychics and readers to agonize over their lives, well, they'll find a way to do that regardless.

And people turn to tarot when they are uncertain and cannot resolve their uncertainties. And you cannot always ask. The other person may not be communicative or willing to discuss, or the querent may be shy of asking.

Part of tarot is putting yourself into the other person's shoes and seeing things from their point of view. It isn't always pretty but it is life.

gregory

Alta said:
Part of tarot is putting yourself into the other person's shoes and seeing things from their point of view. It isn't always pretty but it is life.
You are depressingly smart.....

*hides head under desk and repeats mantra "If they need to ask I need to answer"*

214red

Alta said:
And people turn to tarot when they are uncertain and cannot resolve their uncertainties. And you cannot always ask. The other person may not be communicative or willing to discuss, or the querent may be shy of asking.

yes i agree, thanks for adding this as it makes sense and is very true. I used tarot to understand a bit about my dad as he isnt communicative, and it helped out relationship, i tried on his shoes, they were big but not always comfortable...i walked a mile in them and realised how heavy they were and how they weighed me down:)

papercut

Debra said:
eta: Papercut, I know a woman who closed her successful business within a week of asking her pendulum "should I keep the shop open?" The thing on the chain swung sideways and ... three employees out of work, and it was a clothing consignment shop so all the consigners lost their stuff. I don't agree that over reliance on, let us say, "magical" or "metaphysical" tools like tarot and pendulums is harmless.

Certainly - I don't disagree that tarot and other metaphysical tools have the potential to be harmful - like anything - if abused.

But I think that the people who ask the cards things like "how did x feel when he received my text message? And why hasn't he replied yet?" etc, would still be obsessing over these things regardless of what tools they have at their disposal. If they didn't have tarot they would still be sitting there agonising over the situation, and overthinking it and bugging their friends about it ("Do you think he *really* likes me?")

I also think these kind of questions tend to be more predominant with inexperienced readers. I know I used to ask these kinds of questions as a teen, but I soon learned that these kinds of readings probably cause more stress than they alleviate, and grew out of it as I gained experience.

Umbrae

214red said:
I think sometimes readers are avoiding life by reading on it rather then experiencing it. People often read on how a dates going to go, and will often not go on the date if the cards look less than perfect (sun, empress, ace of cups), but they are often missing out on a good experience. People see a devil or an ace of wands on a spread about a date and run for the hills, but usually on a date you want attraction...

is this just me, or are others concerned that tarot is replacing common sense and communication.
It's not you. You're beginning to notice is all...

214red

Umbrae said:
It's not you. You're beginning to notice is all...
i think i noticed for awhile, but today i decided to write it as i am in a contemplative (sp) mood. I also started writing at the weekend about the damage that tarot can do, or any divination can do.

kittiann

Debra said:
It's not just that tarot is replacing communications; it is being used as a substitute for introspection as well.

If you want to know how you feel...try feeling.

I understand where you're all coming from, and I agree that anything to excess can definitely be harmful to a person.

But I feel that for most people, tarot actually *enhances* introspection. That's mostly what I use it for. 'How do I feel about so-and-so' questions become an exploration of my emotions using a tool with 78 pictures. Of course, over-reliance and over-use of anything is bad; but I do not believe that tools are a bad idea. We use them every day, and while it's best not to *need* them, at times they can certainly be more useful then trying to do the job without any tools :)

Glass Owl

kittiann said:
But I feel that for most people, tarot actually *enhances* introspection. That's mostly what I use it for. 'How do I feel about so-and-so' questions become an exploration of my emotions using a tool with 78 pictures. Of course, over-reliance and over-use of anything is bad; but I do not believe that tools are a bad idea.
Same here. I think that Tarot helps me better understand myself and the world around me and that, in turns, helps me be a better communicator.