Disrespect of Cards

214red

thinbuddha said:
I also play solitaire with my tarot cards (with modified rules that work wonderfully). They never invade my dreams to voice complaints.
Thats a fab idea, i always have tarot cards with me so i will never be bored:)

Umbrae

13WildMoons said:
It is my OPINION that what others do is disrespectful. It is not an assumption because I know that everyone does their own thing for their own reasons. I don't have to agree with them though. However in all the many years that I have been doing readings or getting readings I have not once said anything to anyone directly about how they treat their cards. It's their own thing - and that choice I do respect.

It is my choice to get upset about it because it goes strongly against MY spiritual beliefs. So therefore I do find it an important enough thing for me to get upset about.
Ya know, I may be on the other side of the fence, but I honor, respect, and embrace not only your choice but your right to express yourself!

Good on ya!

DarkElectric

I think I take pretty good care of my cards. I try to keep them clean, and not let them get ripped, stained, or beaten up. My best pro deck is obviously well loved and not new, but it isn't tatty and falling to pieces. I avoid eating or drinking around my cards and make sure the table is clean too, so they don't get all gopped up. I prefer that clients keep beverages away from them too, and encourage this. Cards don't take to a soaking very well.
I don't have the money to keep replacing decks. I try to take good care of them so they'll last longer.

Briar Rose

I understand what you mean, 13WildMoons. I agree with you. I am the same way. I treat all my personal possessions with the utmost respect. I cherish what I have.

I don't think you are saying that you look at cards and crystals like the reverence of a holy grail. I think you mean that you take care of what you own.

nisaba

yirabeth said:
However I riffle shuffle so of course, many would say I do not take care of them.
<strangled gasp>

<recovers herself>

We'll just stick with doing friendly, long-distance exchanges, will we? I can live with that!

nisaba

ana luisa said:
I know a lady who reads with playing cards. These are also used for solitaire and poker... And they give amazing readings too. Go figure.
That's not so surprising. Readers use whatever tools they use to give them focus, and get them in the zone.

A friend of mine is currently making me do readings with playing cards every time he visits as a part of his Evil Scheme. It's about familiarising me.

When I get good enough, he's going to let me loose on the poker-playing-for-money community around here. Of course, I'll be fifty next birthday and I've never in my life played poker even once or been around people playing it, so he thinks my total lack of knowledge about the game will help me even more, and get me to "read" when I have a winning hand and when everyone else has winning hands.

Grf!

Still, I'm happy to use my World Football League playing cards to do silly sport-related readings for him when I see him.

<cackle>

nisaba

Alissa said:
In my defense, it was an accidental homicide. Death by lemonade.
<laughter> That would make a great title for an Hercule Poirot mystery!

nisaba

Elven said:
My decks at home are all neatly displayed - because if they're not, I go crazy. I hate trying to find a deck I want in a 'now' moment,
But that Knight Swords now-moment, with an undisciplined collection like mine, merely means that I calm down, and have a blissful afternoon of sorting through current and old friends, and maybe finding something (or somethings) else that I discover I really want to work with more than the original deck of the now-moment!

Edited to add: I'm probably going to have a similar moment tonight when the rest of the world goes to sleep: a parcel arrived from Canada with eighteen bags in it <bows gratefully in the approximate direction of Canada and the forum member who sent it>, so I'm going to have great fun sorting through my still-in-original-packaging decks and working out who gets what. I can't wait! Yummy! I love Tarot-time!