Tarot Classic....a good 1st deck?

6 Haunted Days

I just got this deck very cheaply. It's used but barely. I think it may be one of the older 70's print runs? Going by the box, the look and smell of the deck and the 2 insert cards. How can one tell?

It is my very 1st Marseilles! Well, obviously there is some debate if it is even a TdM or not, but I am very, very new to this tradition and system...be gentle! :)

Anyways, I was very taken with the images and colouring when I looked through it! It feels and looks like a mysterious deck you'd have come across in a back alley occult shop in the 70's. Love it. Great size and backs...it lends that "occult" feel to it again. Some of the other TdM's I just really dislike the colours, this one I am loving it.

I'm really looking forward to reading up on reading styles with the TdM, overwhelming though, but a whole new tarot world! :D

Anyone like and use the Classic?

ETA: I forgot too mention it's an AGM deck made in Switzerland but only distrubuted by USG....I know there are 2 types of this deck. A reason why I thought it might be older. I included a photo of what my box looks like.

Attachments

• AGM classic.jpg
    AGM classic.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 343

Abrac

Heya 6. I love the Tarot Classic, especially the colors and unusual designs. I think it's a fine first deck. It took me awhile to warm up to it, but once I did I've never looked back. The nice thing about this deck is, from what I can tell at least, the print quality and quality of the card stock hasn't really changed much over time.

The earliest versions have different lettering on the box from yours; the letters are more stylized. Check your box or booklet (if it has one) for a US Games address. That's one of the easiest ways to figure out what you have.

1. 468 Park Avenue South, New York, NY (70s)
2. 38 Park Avenue South, New York, NY (Early 80s)
3. Stamford, CT (Late 80s to Present)

Rusty Neon

Haunted ... The important thing is that you like this deck and want to use it. It will, therefore, introduce you to the antique tarot decks world. As the Tarot Classic differs from the TdM, you may wish to get a TdM deck to use as a reference deck to use alongside the Tarot Classic and thus you'd be able to follow TdM discussions here on the forums.

Oh no, Abrac, don't get me started! I have U.S. Games Rider-Waite decks from all three addresses ... I don't want to begin now with Tarot Classic!

prudence

Congrats, 6HD, on your first step into the land of Marseille-ish decks!!! Woohoo!! :D Hey, it has to start somewhere, and that is a fine place to start.
I do not own a Classic, but it sounds like a good one to me. A nice price too.

There are lots of threads here that I have found helpful for learning to read with these types of decks, although I still feel like I do not understand the language as fluently as I'd like. Many times when a card is drawn, I just go with how it makes me feel, rather than what it makes me think. (hope that makes sense)

le pendu

It's a great deck, in fact, I know someone who I consider to be about as close to a "TdM Master" as they come who uses this deck regularly.

As mentioned by Rusty Neon, the important thing is that you like it.

There are lots of great beginner threads in the index, so check that out. When you feel comfortable (hell, BEFORE you feel comfortable), join in on the TdM reading exchanges.

Congratulations, and welcome to the TdM section, we're glad to have you here.

6 Haunted Days

Thanks so much for the warm welcome everyone! :)

Abrac, when you mentioned the font being different on the box, I looked and mine is different than the one in the photo....it's a fancy curly Q type font. The address is the 1st one...so I think I have a nice vintage on my hands and for only $2.50! Always a great surprise.

Thanks for the advice on the threads, I'm off to read a bit of them before I turn in. I'm happy to know I chose a deck I really like and seems to be a good choice that quite a few find a great reading deck. There are a couple other ones I'm interested, only one I can recall off the top of my head is the new Noblet.

prudence

oooh, 6HD, now you've said the magic word...Noblet....but sadly, I am afraid I am unable to speak of this deck without losing my dignity. I am all gushy and full of :heart:'s when it comes to this one. I :heart: it so fully, that I would marry it if it were legal in the States. (it's not legal here right...to marry a deck, a French deck...? ;))

I do hope this will be your next Marseille purchase, I do believe you will not regret it, and may even be as delighted with it as the rest of us. I have mentioned its size many times elsewhere, and I know this is just a simple and small aspect of this deck, but it really made it perfect for me, how it feels in my hands....how it fits so well in my hands. (and btw, Le Pendu designed the box it comes in, quite beautifully, I might add.)

Moonbow

Nice one 6 Haunted Days.

The Classic is a nice deck and a great size for using, it's one of my favourites for that alone. As Rusty says it would be good to get another Marseilles deck for comparison and then you will start to notice the differences in each deck which will lead you to a world of facinating reading and expand your interest in these decks.

Welcome to the Marseilles & Other Early Decks forum. :)

Moonbow*

gregory

It's a really nice deck - I too have a vintage copy, as I got it when it first came out.
I am extremely venerable, you see.... and so are a lot of my decks ! :D

The Noblet is something else, though. Are you signed up for the travelling deck ? If so you will meet it soon enough.

jmd

That's a great deck, as far as I'm concerned - and very close to the Marseille, but not quite there. It has a number of features, such as the two ankles tied on the Hanged Man, which show it to be a Schaffhouse.

Its pips are also pretty distinct and, like the Bologna, shows both hilts and blades for the swords.... but go through them and note the artistic error on one of the swords :).

For me, it sits importantly somewhere between the 'Marseille', the Bologna, and the Besançon.