Is Tarot Pagan?

ihcoyc

Ross G Caldwell said:
What is most interesting to me is that Daneau translates ps.-Cyprian's phrase "alea tabulam" as "cartes", and the simple word "tabulam" in a longer phrase as "cards and dice", viz:

Ps.-Cyprian: "ita ut qui vellet studio eius adhaerere, non ante manum in tabulam porrigeret, nisi auctori huius prius sacrificasset."

(thus anyone who would be involved with his invention, could not put his hand before the table, unless he had first sacrificed to the inventor of it).

Pseudo-Cyprian, unless his pseudosity dates to well after the time when it was customary to falsely attribute sermons to famous saints, could not have been referring to playing cards. They did not exist in ancient Rome.

In fact, Northbrooke also mentions "tables" in his discussion of games and sports, disapproving of them also, but not as strenuously as cards. Northbrooke's game of tables would appear to be similar to backgammon; it uses dice, but there is some strategy in determining the moves. Backgammon or its predecessors may have existed in ancient Rome; the game of latrunculi may have been a predecessor of backgammon, or possibly of checkers / draughts. One meaning of tabula in Latin is a board prepared with lines for figures, like an abacus; both backgammon and checkers may have fit into the definition.

mjhurst

Northbrook and Mixed Games

Hi, Ross,

Ross G Caldwell said:
Northbrooke's "Invective against dice-playing" (including card playing) can be had here...
A Treatise Against Dicing, Dancing, Plays, and Interludes
http://ia341237.us.archive.org/2/items/treatiseagainstd00nortiala/treatiseagainstd00nortiala.pdf

Thanks for finding that, Ross. We see in Northbrooke a number of themes that we have seen in other sources. The condemnation of dice based on it being a corruption of divine lotteries as described in the Bible is one. The ranking of games on a continuum of pure chance (dice) as the worst to complete information (chess) at the other extreme is IMO the most interesting, with cards in the middle, a "mixed game" as Ortalli termed them. And Northbrook cites Plato as the source, for his comments about board games being like life, in the sense of combining both chance and judgment. Ortalli cited Ugo Trotti (1456) as an early observer of card games being in this same category of mixed games.

...the Ferrara jurist Ugo Trotti, a professor of canon law, bore witness (in his De multiplici ludo) to the spread, variety and multifaceted character of card games, which could not be classified en bloc with games of luck or pure chance. Tarots in particular were included among mixed games, verging on games of skill (and not of luck), as was chess from the outset -- a game always considered to be respectable by the legal experts."
(Gherardo Ortalli, "The Prince and the playing cards" in Ludica 188, 199.)
Perhaps the best presentation of the idea comes from the Book of Games by King Alfonso X. It tells a fine fable about the king's three counselors. Here is a very brief summary, but the full account is worth reading.

They went away and consulted their books... The third who said that it was best to draw from both... which teaches that through their play, he that knows how to play them well, even though the luck of the dice be against him, that because of his prudence he will be able to play his pieces in such a manner as to avoid the harm that may come to him through the rolls of the dice.
(Alfonso X’s Book Of Games, translated By Sonja Musser Golladay)
http://www.mediafire.com/?nenjj1dimtd
Girolamo Cardano mentions this notion of mixed games in his 1564 book. (Note that triumphus apparently does not refer to Tarot.)

It is more fitting for the wise man to play at cards than at dice, and at triumphus rather than other games... [for] this is a sort of midway game played with open cards, very similar to the game of Chess.
(Cardano, Liber de ludo aleae, quoted in Parlett's The Oxford Guide to Card Games.)
Tarot was, of course, just such a game. Some recognition of this appears in gaming ordinances. In 1488 Brescia, Italy, there was a prohibition of games of chance, buschatia, defined as omnis ludus taxillorum et cartarum exceptis ludis tabularum et rectis ludis triumphorum et scachorum, thus excluding backgammon, chess, and Tarot. This item is mentioned in Moakley, Dummett, etc., along with similar items from1491 Bergamo, Italy, 1500 Reggio nell'Emilia, Italy, and IIRC, some others.

Seeing the same ideas presented time and again, by different writers for different purposes, is where we get a sense of what is mainstream versus what might be exceptional. In repeating a number of other sources, Northbrooke seems very much in the mainstream. Here is the majority of his gaming passage. Notice how Northbrooke uses the continuum from dice to chess as the outline for his presentation.

Youth. Is not this gaming condemned likewise by the holy Scriptures ?

Age. Yes, truly, most manifestly.

Youth. I pray you, let me heare howe it is forbidden by the holy Scriptures.

Age. First, it is ordeyned against the express and thirde commandment of God, which sayth: Thou shalt not take the name of the Lorde in vaine; so that whosoeuer vseth this chaunce of lottes in ydle and trifling things taketh the name and prouidence of God in vaine. For the lot is one of the principall wittnesses of Gods power, (as Salomon recordeth) (Prou. 16, 33)(Cap. 18,18) that it is ruled and gouerned immediately by his hande, power, and prouidence: and therefore we maye not vse lottes so triflinglie, as it were to tempt God, and to trie what care he hath of the worlde, but onely in matters of great importance, and where his diuine will should be extraordinarilye known and vnderstoode, as in diuiding of goodes and choosing of magistrates, and such (Acts 1, 26) lyke, to ende all quarrels or corruption of voyces, and not in sleyght things, as thoughe wee woulde make God seruant to our pastymes and sportes, and trye what care he hadde of them.

Secondly, this playe is instituted contrarye to the true nature and ende of that which we in Englishe call play or pastime, and the Latines call ludus; and therefore the playe at dice is a very corruption of God's holy permission, and of true and honest play. For all playes are appointed and lyked of men for two causes onely; either for the exercise of the bodye (whereof diceplay is wholy contrarie, being a sporte of a sorte of ydle vnthriftes) or else play should serue for the recreation of the minde, and refreshing of our bodies, whereunto diceplaye is wholy repugnant and contrarie, for therein is no exercise of our wittes, but we onely stay vpon the chaunce of the dice, whyle as well he that winneth, as he that loseth, is amazed and vnsure of his chaunce, but alwayes gapeth for the chaunce of his happe, without anye pleasure, but onely a couetous desire to gayne : also we see, that the more they play at such games, the more they may, without anye such contentment or pleasure of the rninde, as is founde in other honest and lawfull games.

Thirdly, the forbidding thereof by the ciuill lawes, and commaundments of magistrates, maketh these playes offensiue, wicked, and vnlawful, though of their owne nature they were not so ; for Saint Paule sayth thus: (1 Cor. 8, 13) Though I shoulde forbeare from eating of fleshe all the dayes of my life, rather than offende my brother, I ought to doe it: much more ought we for feare of offence to forbeare this play, in that it is nothing necessarie for the sustayning of man's lyfe, nor of like commodity to the vse of fleshe, which S. Paule willeth vs yet to forbeare, if occasion serve; for there are other wayes to pastime and
sport vs, than by those playes.

Fourthly, the spirit of God commaundeth vs by Saint Paule to redeeme the time (Ephe. 5, 16; Colos. 4, 5; 1 Pet. 4, 2) that we haue loste in ydle and unprofitable things, and to bestow the time present in good and holy things to edification, bicause the dayes are euill. For when God giueth vs leysure, eyther to reade his holy worde, to visit the poore, to comfort the afflicted, or to doe such like dutiful deedes, (Mat. 25, 36; Iames 1,27) we ought to doe it quickly, bicause that incontinently one let or other may happen, which may withdrawe our mindes therefrom: a thousande afflictions are present before vs, and it will be harde to recouer that whiche we so sleightly ouerslippe (Gal. 6, 10). But I pray you, is that well spending the time and leysure which God giueth vs to doe good in, to lose it in playing at dyce, which I haue declared to be so offensiue?

Fiftly, the beggerly and greedy desire in that game doth so farre exceede all other, that there is nothing that doth more entice and encourage a man to play, than this dyceplay doth; and the reason thereof is manifest, that seeing the loser perceiueth that such losse happeneth not by the cunning of the player, but rather by his happe and chaunce for that time, he hopeth to recouer his mony by the said hap, which is lykely to chaunge, being naturally chaungeable, and therefore playeth on hoping for better chance, and so continueth feeding himselfe with looking for the chaunge of the dice: so as this game is proued to be the verye occupation of loyterers and vagabondes; but in plays of skill and cunning, the cause of the losse is soon espied, and to be perceiued, and therefore hee that perceyueth himselfe to bee the weaker doth immediately leaue playe.

What shall I speake of the insattable couetousnesse that is in this play, while eyther partye seeketh to winne others mony, or rather the one of them to vndoe the other, and also go about to deceyue the other? Some play away their houses, horses, clothes; some all that euer they haue, or can borowe, ere they can leaue off, till all be gone, so enticing and alluring is this game aboue all other, which causeth so many come to beggery, stealing, and finallye to that vntimely death of the gallowes. To this effecte, a certaine poet and a doctor of both lawes, sayth:

The damnable lust of cardes and of dice,
And other games prohibite by lawe,
To great offences some fooles doth attice;
Yet can they not themselues therefro withdrawe:
They count their labors and losse not worth a straw,
Caring naught else, therein is their delite,
Till Christ and health be scaped from them quite.

There is almost no maner of degree,
Man, childe, woman, pooreman, or estate,
Olde, or yong, that of this game are free,
Nor yet the clergie, both poore priest and prelate;
They use the same almost after one rate:
When by great losse they brought are in a rage,
Right fewe haue reason their madnesse to assuage.

And to be playne, great inconueniences
Proceedeth to many by this vnlawfull game,
And by the same oft youth doth sue offences
To his destruction, and all his friendes shame:
Often some by folly falleth to be a theefe,
And so ende in shame, sorowe, and mischiefe.
(Sebastianus Brant, in lib. Stultifera nauis)
Youth. What say you to carde playing ? is that to be vsed and allowed among men ?

Age. I tell you plainly, it is euen almost as badde as the other: there is neuer a barrell better herring (as the prouerbe is); yet of the two euils it is somewhat the lesse, for that therein wit is more vsed, and lesse trust in chance and fortune (as they terme it), and yet I say, therein is no laudable studie or good exercise. Dice playing is the mother, and carde playing is the daughter, for they draw both with one string all the followers thereof vnto ydlenesse, loytering, blaspheming, miserie, infamie, shame, penurie, and confusion.

Youth. Is there as much craft and deceit at carde playing, as there is at dice playing ?

Age. Almost one; I will not giue a straw to choose: they haue such sleightes in sorting and shuffling of the cardes, playe at what game ye will, all is lost aforehande, especially if two be confederate to cousin the thirde.

Youth. As how, I pray you ?

Age. Eyther by pricking of a carde, or pinching of it, cutting at the nicke; eyther by a bumbe carde finely vnder, ouer, or in the middes, &c. and what not to deceyue?

And therefore to conclude, I say with that good father, Saint Cyprian, the playe at cardes is an inuention of the deuill, which he found out that he might the easier bring in ydolatrie amongst men. For the kings and coate cardes that we vse nowe, were in olde times the images of idols and false gods which, since they that would seeme christians, haue changed into Charlemaine, Launcelot, Hector, and such lyke names, bicause they would not seeme to imitate their idolatrie therein, and yet maintaine the playe it selfe, the very inuention of Satan, the deuill, and woulde so disguise this mischeife vnder the cloake of such gaye names.

Youth. They vse to playe at cardes commonly after supper, &c.

Age. I will condemne no man that doth so; but Plato saith in his Banket, that players and minstrels that are Plato vsed after suppers is a simple pastime, and fit for brutish and ignorant men, which knowe not howe to bestowe their time in better exercises. I may with better reason say the lyke by all carders and diceplayers.

Youth. What say you to the play at tables ?

Age. Playing at tables is farre more tollerable (although in all respects not allowable) than dyce and cardes are, for that it leaueth partly to chaunce and partly to industrie of the mynde; for, although they cast in deede by chaunce, yet the castes are governed by industrie and witte (Plato). In that respecte, Plato affirmed, that the life of manne is lyke vnto the playe at tables; for even as (sayeth he) in table playe, so also in the life of man, if anything go not verye well, the same must bee by arte corrected and amended, &c. as when a caste is euill, it is holpen againe by the wysedome and cunning of the player.

Youth. What say you to the playe at chesse ? is that lawfull to be vsed ?

Age. Of all games (wherein is no bodily exercise) it is most to be commended, for it is a wise play (and therefore was named the philosophers' game); for in it there is no deceyte or guyle, the witte thereby is made more sharpe, and the remembrance quickened, and therefore maye bee vsed moderately. Yet doe I reade that that notable and constant martyr (John Hus) repented him for his playing at chesse, saying, I haue delighted to play (Acts and Monuments of the Church in the first volum. fo. 747) oftentimes at chesse, and haue neglected my time, and thereby haue vnhappily prouoked both myself and other to anger many times by that playe: wherefore (sayeth he) besides other my innumerable faultes, for this also I desire you to inuocate the mercie of the Lorde, that he would pardon me, &c. O mercifull Lorde ! if this good and gracious father, and faithfull martyr of Christ, did so earnestly repent him for his playing at chesse (which is a game without hurt), what cause then hath our dice and cardplayers to repent and craue pardon at God's hands for their wicked and detestable playing ? And I pray vnto God for his Christ's sake, that this good martyr may be a patrone and ensample for all them to followe.
Thanks again for finding that.

Best regards,
Michael

Teheuti

The condemnation of something as the work of the Devil is no indication of Paganism. The Devil is primarily a Christian concept. There is no Devil in the earlier Greek and Roman religions. These are admonitions from one Christian to another (or to so-called "godless Christians" or apostates) to refrain from activities which would turn them from obedience to the Christian God and from the control of his Church.

I do wish people could understand that the Devil, as such, doesn't exist in Paganism. Even historically, a person couldn't be brought before the Inquisition if they weren't Christian. It was for heretics, not those of other religious persuasions. In Spain it was used against the conversos (those who had supposedly converted to Christianity and then fallen back on Judaism).

Rosanne

Teheuti said:
The condemnation of something as the work of the Devil is no indication of Paganism. The Devil is primarily a Christian concept.

Hi Mary!
I have been looking for some indication that cards- more specifically Tarot- was viewed as a sequence of non-Christian (Pagan/Greek/Roman) myth and legend. I am not looking for a Greek or Roman Devil- as I quite agree with you.
The only place the cards seem to be discussed early is in tracts against the aspect of gaming.
It is Northbrooke's use of the word idolatry that I am questioning.
Here is the point he makes....
The playe at Cardes is an invention of the Deuill, which he founde out that he might the easier bring in Ydolatrie amongst men. For the Kings and Coate cardes that we use nowe were in olde time the ymages of Idols and false Gods: which since they that would seeme Christians have changed into Charlemane, Launcelot, Hector, and such like names, because they woule not seeme to imitate their ydolatrie herein, and yet maintaine the playe it self, the very inuention of Satan, the Deuill, and would disguise this mischief under the cloake of such gaye names."

Pagan:from Paganus meaning rustic. Heathen practice that was always there after Christianity was established. Apparently also it was a contemptuous name for a Roman civilian when early Christians called themselves Soldiers of Christ or Milites Christi. Romans adopted the military word Paganus for those who were not Soldiers of Christ (non-Christian).

So it seems that Northbrooke saw in cards Idols and false Gods and made the connection that it was the Christian Devil(because a Puritan believes in the Devil) who created these cards.
So he saw 'cards' that apparently were French cards. It does not say Tarot of course. Was his view a result of Icon hunting as an anti Papist view? Roman Catholic were Pagan? Or did he really see images of Greek and Roman Gods? If he saw "idols from the past"
How prevalent was his view?
Northbrooke held Calvanistic views- the total depravity of man is an example.
This colours his view naturally. So I am not searching for the Christian Devil.
~Rosanne

Rosanne

In the tract by Northbrooke he says (not that one man's view is the Gospel :D)
For the Kings and Coate cardes that we use nowe were in olde time the mages of Idols and false Gods:
If we say that cards and then Tarot were about 170 years old at the time of the writing- what cards is he talking about in Old time?
As far as I know Playing cards that showed images of Idols and False Gods were German cards although a Hunting deck does not seem like False Gods? and if they were a Trump game could have looked possibly similar to the TdM, or maybe the Tarrochi of Mategna? The Mategna or the Sola Busca seem possible candidates to me. There are some Minchiate cards as well.
Maybe there were cards that were definitely Greek Legends- that we have no examples of.

I also find the words Kings and Coate (Court) cards, an odd way to phrase a playing card deck.

~Rosanne

Bernice

Hi Rosanne,

Just idle speculation here. But I wonder how old Northbrooke was when he wrote that tract? Depending on his age, if something was around 30 yeras before he was born, he'd think it was Old.

Trying to assess a date for decks he might have been referring to...

Bee

Rosanne

Hi Bee!
I cannot find birth/Death dates, but he is the writer of the famous line about one swallow does not a summer make
One swallowe proveth not that summer is neare.
- Treatise against Dancing [Swallows] NorthBrooke, John
lol and apparently some church music in about 1530 c
So I am figuring he is writing at age 60 ????
His work was very popular and had at least 4 printings.
~Rosanne

Bernice

John Northbrooke: I found this:

"The exact dates of Northbrooke’s life are not known. He was born in Devonshire, and was a minister by the early 1560s. He was one of the
first ministers to be ordained by Gilbert Berkeley, bishop of Bath and
Wells under Queen Elizabeth. At the time of writing A Treatise, he was
living near Bristol. For all his attention to the dangers of playing, then,
there is no evidence that he ever actually lived or even spent significant
amounts of time in London, the center of the theatrical enterprise.
Although it is unclear whether Northbrooke had explicit puritan
sympathies, he subscribed to powerful anti-Catholic sentiments, which
he expressed in earlier writings: A Brief and Pithy Sum of the Christian
Faith, published in 1571, and The Poor Man’s Garden, 1573."

Here:
http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/.../Sample_chapter/9781405111935/Pollard_001.pdf

It didn't download the pdf - just an html.

Another account says he was born in Gloustershire.

Bee

blackroseivy

I say that it represents a palimpsest of belief systems that date to prior to Christianity, however were very much consolidated in the Christian era. To sum up briefly.

Rosanne

Thanks Bee.
Northbrooke's Idolatry comments could well be anti Catholic sentiment as was strong in the Elizabethan age, and prior to it.
Idolatry! The Catholic Veneration of Icons and Relics was a headline in those times. The sermons were popular for those who could read as printings show.
Among the many common objections to Catholic doctrine frequently voiced, was the objection that Catholics practice routine idolatry in violation of First and Second Commandments. After all, Catholics prayed before graven images, not only of Christ, but also the saints and angels. They ritually adorned themselves in religious garb. Their sanctuaries were filled with statues and symbols. They treated the Pope as if he was Zeus, and that he and various objects and relics had true power to heal and protect. So, yes the false God of the Pope and Idols of the Saints etc could be what he meant. If so then it was just not playing cards Northbrooke saw- he would have had to have seen an extended deck to come to this conclusion I would think.

An interesting aside to this is that Puritan in England and Protestant elsewhere, evangelizing was for the common person countered in the Alehouses and gambling houses and village taverns or horse stops- by the owner. His often famous ludicrous mimicking of anti Catholic sermons was a draw card to his premise on Sunday. Long, numbing, puritan lectures drove people away from the Church. It was said that at least the Catholics had something to look at for those who could not read- and Priests often complained that Mass goers slept in Church to catch up on what they missed throughout the week by drinking and gambling. All sides had their argument lol.
The only thing is that earlier in the tract he calls plays abominable Idolatry, mentioning the Strumpet Flora (Roman Goddess).
~Rosanne