Being enabled by Tarot apps!!

rwcarter

Moderator Note

I'd like to see a thread on AT (this one or a new one) where we critique what we like/don't like in the Apps we use (not the deck, the functionality/user experience/usability). What we'd like to see. Questions on what is possible in software and what isn't.
It's up to those who make the Apps to pay attention. I am. I'm ready to listen.
That's a great discussion to have in a separate thread here in Tarot Books & Media.

Callanish

That's a great discussion to have in a separate thread here in Tarot Books & Media.

I'm pleased a moderator thinks so, any chance you could kick one off by splitting off this thread?
That way the thread begins life neutral and without any personal agendas (or perceived agendas).

Callanish

Callanish

I am not sure if it should be here or not, but with my android tablet, I have bought 3 decks I wouldn't have been able to afford. I have the Bohemian Gothic app :D

I just look at the lovely decks and go, well, its only £2.59 per app for some tarot goodness and as Bohemian Gothic is out of my price range in the physical deck, the app is a lifeline to this beautiful deck. Bonefire Tarot just is made for my tablet!

I've played with the Bohemian Gothic App a few times since your original post.
What I do like about it is the "Carousel" or "Coverflow" card picker.
I've always gone with the cards spread out in a grid, e.g. 13x6

A new thread where we can discuss ideas, likes and dislikes in digital tarot would be a good place to talk about topics like this.

Since it's a copy of Apple's iTunes "Coverflow" (and looks like it uses the free open source software package "iCarousel" - google that word to see what I'm referring to) I may even consider adding it as an alternative card picker in the "Tarot & Numerology" App.

Of all the features of digital tarot the one most important feature of all, IMHO, is how the cards are selected. This is a topic I'd love to see being discussed. As I've already said, I'm more interested in how we, the Aeclectic Tarot, can help with evolving Tarot in the digital age.

Callanish

Bookwight

I’ve definitely been enabled by Tarot apps. I loved the Chrysalis app so much I ended up buying the physical deck, which I adore and use frequently. I will also buy the Hidden Realms and the Victorian Fairy decks (plus a few more, probably) as soon as money allows. (My purse is an echo-chamber just now, so thank goodness for iTunes gift cards. :))

I’d say I’ve also been enabled by apps to spend more time with tarot in general. In fact, they ended a tarot drought for me a couple years ago. Finding Fool’s Dog apps made me bring my physical decks out of the closet, where they’d been languishing for a few years, and start reading with them again. Now, I always have a deck with me, because I have physical decks at home and I always have my phone with me when I'm out. I do daily cards nearly every day now, because it’s so easy to do with apps. And my deck collection is not only larger but more diverse now, because tarot apps opened my mind to new deck styles.

I have to say I’m with avalonian about Fool’s Dog apps and why I love them (though I use iOS not Android). The idea of scanning a deck into my device just sounds painful to me. Note: TO ME. Obviously I don’t speak for others! :D

Callanish: I’m going to try out Tarot & Numerology. Even though I doubt I'll ever scan my own decks into it, I'm still interested! Sounds cool. :thumbsup:

seven stars

I would make apps for my decks if I knew how....

Callanish

I would make apps for my decks if I knew how....

That was why I added the "Tarot Deck Creator" feature to my own App ("Tarot & Numerology).
So Artists could do just that.

My App is limited to Apple iOS devices.
If you use Android then UniTarot will let you do the same.

Callanish

seven stars

That was why I added the "Tarot Deck Creator" feature to my own App ("Tarot & Numerology).
So Artists could do just that.

My App is limited to Apple iOS devices.
If you use Android then UniTarot will let you do the same.

Callanish

whaaaaat? no way! I just got a cricket HTC what is that compatable with?