Mexican Loteria Card Riddles

DownwardSpiral

DragonFae thanks so much for the rest of the list : )

I'm just waiting to see these cards again at Walgreens or the meat/produce market.

DragonFae

Your welcome.

If by chance you have a Mexican store in your town or nearby ....they usually carry them also. :)

DownwardSpiral

DragonFae said:
Your welcome.

If by chance you have a Mexican store in your town or nearby ....they usually carry them also. :)

I'm in the right place : )
What's so funny about this is that I used to always see the cards at the store and wondered if they could be used as an oracle. Ah but they were in Spanish. Then I ran across this thread : )

DragonFae

I originally read some people's questions on line as to whether the deck was at one time an oracle. From what I have researched, they were not but that doesn't mean that locally etc they weren't used as such. (in much the same way regular playing cards were in Europe.

I bought my first deck at the Mexican grocery store....and actually purchased a couple others online....most of the artwork is the same but some is slightly different. I have a "friend" on Twitter....who is Mexican and has a vast knowledge of the loteria cards...when we can transcend the translation issue...lol. That is how I found out that there are more than one riddle for each card. I used the ones that were actually included in the game I bought...in Spanish and translated them. But actually different regions have different riddles....my goal would be to find some of the other ones and add to interpretations with them....however since many riddles are only via word of mouth etc I am not sure how easily that can be done.

I don't know if you know but often during the game instead of calling out the card name, the caller states a riddle pertaining to the card and players must solve the riddle to figure out the image...most don't seem too difficult but a few are tricky...a play on words...(like the pear one)

Good luck on your exploration with the Mexican Loteria cards....I hope you will grow to love them as I have... :)

Belinda2

Thank you for the information I have two sets, and I had a feeling that they could be used for fortune telling, they were made to play bingo I think.
What kinds of speads work best with them?
Thank you
belinda

DragonFae

Belinda2.....yes they are like bingo but each image also has a riddle with it.
And your question about spreads is a good one....honestly I've found that a non spread is actually the best....I mean rather than assigning each postion a questions to just go with something more open. Sometimes I dont ask anything just deal three or four cards and see what they tell me but other times I might use a question format.

Like "What do I need to know about_________? (fill in the blank however you like...(my life) (my relationship with Joe)(this month) etc

This allows a more natural flow to the message from the cards.

It does also work well for me in a relationship spread to have the card represent the person or their thoughts/frame of mind. So deal three cards, one for the Joe, one for Jill, and one for advice about the relationship.

You can do the same type of thing with aspects of life....Four Corners (I call it that) I deal four cards as if they were the corners of the loteria card and then read them as: Family Friends Relationship Advice. You could really name them whatever you had in mind.. like School Work Home Self etc.

Click on my website link at the bottom of the post and it will take you to my blog The Quest...I currently have up a couple posts using three of the cards and you will see why i like to read them open ended and paired or as a trio. I think the meaning is deeper and more readable that way...I also have up a relationship one

I hope you will try reading with yours and see if you connect with them. They are simple and yet so full of the universal aspects of life. Share with us your thoughts here too. I'd love to see what you think.

Belinda2

a reading

HI
I did a one card draw and I got 29 the drum " don't wrinkle Old Leather because I want you for my drum."
The question was I have been working on some oracle for sometime and so I asked about getting them published.

I interpreted it has the following: My oracles have valued, they are creative, and there will be much talk about them or I will have a communication ( letter, phone call) about my oracles. Also the needed preparation had been done.

The way I got this interpretation:
the musician values his instruments
The musician is creative
All the tools are there, just need to finished ( make the drum) preparation
Communication - drums were used as means of communication between villages. And music communicates emotions and joy to the listeners.
That is the way I see, do you find anything else in the reading?
Thank you
Belinda

DragonFae

I think that's a great interpretation and yes I do think it is indicating there is value to the deck...the old leather is good for a drum....so yes...it might also indicate that you have to keep at it awhile....don;t be discouraged...its "old leather" but it is good.

Belinda2

DragonFae said:
I think that's a great interpretation and yes I do think it is indicating there is value to the deck...the old leather is good for a drum....so yes...it might also indicate that you have to keep at it awhile....don;t be discouraged...its "old leather" but it is good.
That is a good point about the old leather, not let the whole thing get old ( everything takes work and time).

I also did a one card draw for my niece , I find it harder to do readings about or for others, it is easier to interpret if it is a reading for myself.

My niece has been unable to find a job for years ( not just now when things are tight in the job market) so The question I asked what was going on with that, what has she doing wrong that she still could not find work?
I drew the 52 the flower pot " He was born to be a flowerpot will never leave the corridor."

My interpretation: My niece needs to change the way she has been approaching getting employment, if she keeps with the same pattern or attitude the result will not change. Looking for a position in different occupation area might help.

What do you think about this interpretation? Thank you for your help
Belinda