Quick question

Thoughtful

l have the lavender box Thoth a Belgium printing, what size is this classed as? is it small or pocket.
Is the standard the next size up from this, and what colour box and size would it be.
Looking to have a slightly larger deck.

l have gone around the threads here looking and just got confused, does not take much to do that :laugh:

seedcake

Me too - on the top of the box is written "small Tarot deck".

Thoughtful

Thanks seedcake, gosh fancy not seeing that on my box. So any idea what the standard size deck is and the colour of the box?

l have just seen a white box standard any comments on this would be welcome.

seedcake

Standard is in the green box :)

Thoughtful

Even more confused, the standard size blue box measures exactly the same as my small lavender box Thoth :confused:
No wonder l am going round in circles. All l want is a size between my small and large deck.

seedcake my head is ringing, l will now go and research the green box size. The people selling these decks are just confusing things.

edited to add: Looked at the green box which are called standard and they measure the same as my large. At this point l surrender in defeat.

gregory

USG made the lavender box (smaller cards) the same size as the green box (full size) because people were stealing the small boxes from stores.Or that was what they said when they did it.

What is usually called the standard has cards that are 3.75" x 5.5" (9.5 cm x 14 cm). That is "standard" as it was the only size available for a while. But many people refer to it as large, as the cards are larger than most decks, after all !

The lilac box ("small") has cards that are 4.75" x 3.375" (7 cm x 11 cm)

There is also a pocket size with cards that are 2.25" x 3.5" (6.7 cm x 9 cm) - in a BLUE box like the other two. I don't know what size that box is, as I bought my copy before they were doing this stuff with the boxes !

All this ignores the two reworked Konisgsfurt ones, but I think they are OOP anyway and I don't have their exact measurements to hand. And you were asking about USG !

OK ? :D

Barleywine

My two versions go back to 1972 and 1983, respectively. The larger Samuel Weiser one (or "only one," as gregory notes) is 3.75" x 5.5". The later and smaller US Games one (the (three-magus version) is 7.5 cm by 11 cm. I don't own anything newer but I'm thinking about it. I'm not sure a mini would do justice to the artwork.

gregory

My two versions go back to 1972 and 1983, respectively. The larger Samuel Weiser one (or "only one," as gregory notes) is 3.75" x 5.5". The later and smaller US Games one (the (three-magus version) is 7.5 cm by 11 cm. I don't own anything newer but I'm thinking about it. I'm not sure a mini would do justice to the artwork.
It's not at all bad actually. But my JEWEL, in a way, is the mid sized one that I trimmed (and left the corners.). The geometry just pops.

seedcake

USG made the lavender box (smaller cards) the same size as the green box (full size) because people were stealing the small boxes from stores.Or that was what they said when they did it.

... kind of weird.

So lavender box and green box has the cards in the same size? I think the green had extra cards, and it was the only difference between these two. Anyway, USG versions are the same as blue - boxed AGM options when we talk about the size?

gregory

... kind of weird.

So lavender box and green box has the cards in the same size? I think the green had extra cards, and it was the only difference between these two. Anyway, USG versions are the same as blue - boxed AGM options when we talk about the size?
NO. Lavender box cards are smaller. 4.75" x 3.375" (7 cm x 11 cm) Just the BOX is big :)

USG sizes are the same as AGM, yes - there's a table showing MOST of them here.

The one with the three magus cards is nowhere to be found any more. :( But current ones in all sizes SHOULD have the Universal Hexagram card.