Deste deck

marablu

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone out there is familiar with the Deste deck.

It was published as a tie-in with a book by Mara Meimarides on greek women practicing magic in Smyrna before the 1922 uprooting of the greek population.

I own this deck, but feel rather uncomfortable using it. I bought it pretty much around the same time I got interested in the tarot, but have put it aside for months now, focusing exclusively on the latter. I also own the Lenormand deck, but again, I haven't used this much.

What do others think- are such decks reliable? What are the pros and cons of such decks as compared with the tarot, in your view?

Thanks for your insights!

marablu

Sheri

I am not familiar with the Deste deck, but I would say that oracle decks of any time are reliable. I have a great book called The Book of Ordinary Oracles by Lon Milo DuQuette, and he has a section on reading with dominos, spare change, books, playing cards and he even made up an oracle deck based on the sayings of Mark Twain! The gist of the book is that YOU are the oracle, and decks or whatever you choose to read with are the tools that bring this out. It's all about getting familiar with whatever tool you decide to use.

I like working with oracles because I like the variety they offer. I tend to read intuitively, and I know if I am working with a new oracle I have never seen before, it really makes me think (no traditional meanings, etc. to fall back on).

Please feel free to use your decks and post your readings in the Oracle Readings Forum! We would love to see the deck and hear about your work with it! Most importantly, have fun while you are learning - this forum is the best place on earth to learn and grow :D

valeria

marablu

Hi Valeria,

thanks for your response! It really put things in perspective for me!

I suppose that because of the long established tradition of the tarot, it's easier to get sucked into what the cards 'objectively' mean, and forget to use them as keys for unlocking one's personal intuition.

I'm still not entirely convinced about using the Deste deck, however. Something about these cards spook me- the back of the cards show this really severe-looking woman, dressed in black, against a black background, plus there are some 'bad' cards that are really bad- for instance, there's a card entitled 'grave' which supposedly refers to actual, physical death.

So of course now I don't really know what to do with these cards, as I don't feel right about throwing them away (seems disrespectful), but I feel uncomfortable using them. Also giving them away doesn't sound like a good idea (since I don't like them myself, it seems to me as though I'd be giving away negative energy). Any ideas? :p

In any case, it really is a very pretty deck in many ways, and I have several friends who use it regularly and without incident :p. You can get a glimpse of the cards on the following site: www.marameimaridi.gr After you enter the site, click on the cards at the bottom left corner for an instant, online reading.

There are two spreads that the accompanying booklet suggests for use with these cards- one is the Imperial Cross (identical to the Celtic Cross), and another is the Tanrindna, whose merits I cannot personally discuss, but which was previously outlined on this thread: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=54833&highlight=deste

Thanks again, see you around! :)

shemsu sutekh

Where did you buy yours? I just visited the site and I really want a deck!

marablu

Hi shemsu sutekh,

I bought my deck from a bookstore called Eleutheroudakis here in Greece, but I think you might be able to order one online, although I think that both the card names and the accompanying booklet will be in greek.

Check out these links:

http://www.kastaniotis.com/new-site/direct.php?book=00567

Unfortunately this site only has a greek version, so if you don't have anyone on hand who speaks the language, you might consider e-mailing the publishing house on the following address, explaining the situation and requesting to order the book: info@kastaniotis.com.

Same thing with this site:

http://www.kyknos.com/inventory.asp?code=0000010614
info@kyknos.com

Alternatively, you could contact the author of the book directly: marameimaridi@yahoo.gr

Sorry I couldn't be of more help!

marablu

HudsonGray

Sell it to someone here. I'm sure they'll be more than happy to take it off your hands and won't have any questions about bad energy. That can be turned around easily so it shouldn't be a problem at all. If you want--email Jeannette at Tarot Garden about it. She has all sorts of obscure decks and would probably like to add that one to the collection.

shemsu sutekh

marablu said:
Hi shemsu sutekh,

I bought my deck from a bookstore called Eleutheroudakis here in Greece, but I think you might be able to order one online, although I think that both the card names and the accompanying booklet will be in greek.

Check out these links:

http://www.kastaniotis.com/new-site/direct.php?book=00567

Unfortunately this site only has a greek version, so if you don't have anyone on hand who speaks the language, you might consider e-mailing the publishing house on the following address, explaining the situation and requesting to order the book: info@kastaniotis.com.

Same thing with this site:

http://www.kyknos.com/inventory.asp?code=0000010614
info@kyknos.com

Alternatively, you could contact the author of the book directly: marameimaridi@yahoo.gr

Sorry I couldn't be of more help!

marablu

Thank you very much!

darkwiccatomb

deste

I am using deste decks for the last 1.5 yrs. these decks are talking to me, these decks are showing cards according to my mood.

If i am in a pessimist mood all the cards are reversed, and evil. ( i mean the negative meanings)

I usually pick up tomb card as a future card, like it is non changeable, it is always the last card i pick up.

And i always thought i pick up this card because i am moody but than what we noticed with my friend is it symbolises DEATH, and death related things on my reading, as i can hear from death, and i can see them, it could mean that i will have a visitor from death, in the near future..

also whenever i pick up letter card, from this deck, i always receive an email, a phone call or an sms from the people that i did not see for a long time..

I recommend these cards,

I recommend you to have to check Turkish and Greek Decks, as i heard there are big differences on the materials.

check both both before buying decks.

Dusk Till Dawn

Oh! I want!!! Man.. That wish list...

lightbug

I loved the online reading tool in the link above -- though some of the meanings generated (bad luck, hideous misfortune, disaster) aren't my style - ;) LOL

BUT -- as with all such decks you can use your OWN meaning/interpretation. IMHO, that is the best anyway.