Children's games, divination, cartomancy

Cerulean

Does anyone have children's rhymes with divination -- that might seem related to the folkish cartomancy decks we have?

From Wikipedia:

During the divination, the girl will ask a question and then count out a series of actions or objects by reciting the rhyme. The rhyme is repeated until the last of the series of objects or actions is reached. The last recited term or word is that which will come true. Buttons on a dress, petals on a flower, bounces of a ball, number of jumps over a rope, etc., may be counted.

There are innumerable variations of the rhyme:

* A

Daisy, daisy, who shall it be?
Who shall it be who will marry me?
Rich man, poor man, beggarman, thief,
Doctor, lawyer, merchant, chief,
Tinker, tailor, soldier, sailor.

* B

Grandmother, Grandmother,
What shall I wear?
Silk, satin, calico, cotton.

* C

Where shall we live?
Big house, little house, pigsty, barn.

* D

How many children shall we have?
One, two, three, four, five, six, etc.

from wikipedia link: (to be inserted)..

It reminds me of the early smaller cartomancy games that we encounter of 32-52 cards which have pretty illustrations and some of them have the playing card insets that are based on the LeNormand, Piquet pack, patience cards of ACE, 7-10, Jack, Queen and King. I just received a fun set with period illustrations today

While my small 1908 Milton Bradley incomplete set of 'fortune-telling cards' that I received (for $10, as there are only 31 cards of the 32 illustrated, plus one blank) has a damaged boxcover that looks like a Gypsy Witch in silhouette, the cards have the illustrations that look like 'petit cartomancy" or LeNormand or Grimaud's Book of Destiny with 33 cards.

Later with scans...

I also am trying to figure out which would have been the missing card. The scans/list of what I have will come later too.

Cerulean

Milton Bradley/Delarue/Joseph Reynolds/Grimaud/US Playing Cards

Grimaud's Parlor Sybil circa 1890-1930 has the 52/54 illustrated cards; Book of Destiny has 32 with 33rd blank card

Milton Bradley circa 1908-20's 32 with 33rd blank card set of "Wizard"/Fortune-Teller cards

Joseph Reynold's and Son's 1911 Gypsy Fortune Telling Cards cards

U.S. Playing Cards 52 circa 1900 Gipsy Fortune Telling Cards

Earlier: Circa 1800's Fisher & Turner; Fisher & Brother circa 36 cards...samples to follow