The Gothic Tarot by Vargo - XIV Temperance

WolfyJames

The Temperance here takes the form a female vampire with bat wings wearing a red dress. Right in front of her is an altar supported by two dragon scultures. Around her and the altar are a wheel with red symbols. There is fire in the altar, and the woman holds two cups in her hands, her left arm higher in the air; she pours some light blue gas from the left cup to the right.

There's fire again, like the Magician, but this vampire is more of a witch here than the Magician. It must have taken some time and patience to find the right ingredients and the right quantities, to finaly achieve this result.

The red here in the sky is the same than in Death. This scene could happen right after Death.

silk_selen

I dunno, that looks like more of a really bizzarre shadow than bat wings. I'm not sure what to make of that really, but I don't really see bat wings.

The runed circle is the 9 pointed sun circle of energy and protection, a symbol of fire. There are actually 3 gargolye statues holding up the bowl holding the fire.

And I seem to see this card completely different, at least as far as the details go. It looks like to me that the background is red, and red in the areas and shades it is, because of the fire reflecting off of walls, and of smoke settling in within a room.

A card of insight and knowledge, but less of a knowledge-of and more of a knowledge-how-to. A practical know-how even.

But also danger and a hint of deception or malice.

Annwyn

first thoughts

The more I look at this card the more I tend to feel the black, ghostly winged figure behind her is a spirit. I agree there is a senes of power and knowledge that comes with her as she is casting her spell or conjuring the spirit.
If ghostly white figures and white = purity, then does this mean the black spirit? prescence? is evil in nature? A warning?
The liquid of the cups-water balancing with the element of fire. Is this representing a balance of relationships?

Another card I will need to ponder on a little more, not that I mind

I am really enjoying getting to know the individual cards.

Later
Annwyn

Umbrae

I get the feeling that the form behind her is her. A fashion statement so to speak.

Just as she mixes the essences of fire and water, light and dark – she dances along that very same balance point with her life. She lives as she speaks – she walks the walk, she is what she mixes. Her dress and demeanor speak of an honest, candid, unguarded, genuineness.

Alissa

Whenever I see this card, I think about a previous Gothic Temperance thread that I started in the past.

Now, I cannot help but include my reading of the vixen as inside a celestial phone booth, with a direct line to the Divine. Pouring solutions (from her hand into the caudlron) is like making a connection. She connects to that which is already inside her, but not of her. Like Umbrae said, She is what she connects to.

And the symbols around her, in my twisted mind, reads, "Phone". It's a good place to be.

mercenary30

Temperance

A brazier is centered on a power circle that has been painted on the floor in bright red. The pedestals that support the huge flaming bowl are in the shape of griffins. Flames and smoke rise up into the sky. Behind and to the side is a vampiress who is pouring the contents of one chalice into another. A shadow like cape is draped behind her and attached at her wrists. She has an intense look upon her face and her body language seems animated and passionate. She seems fully engaged in the ritual she is performing.

The vampiress is fully engaged in a powerful transformation rite. The power circle below seems less protective than most with the sun bursts breaking the lines of the circle. I have the impression that she has an immense amount of power to be performing such a risky ritual with the lack of assistance, as was present for the Magician. If she succeeds in this endeavor the results should be spectacular, failure means utter destruction. Her demeanor seems to display a bit of desperation or maybe even some delusional quality. The lack of power emanations, as was present for the Devil, shows that the work she is performing here is mundane, without that unnatural quality. She is also not channeling, as was the Magician. This transformation will be within, her own mental and spiritual strength being utilized. She is not far enough into it for there to be any determination as to what her expected outcome is…….but I am not sure it is safe to stay here and watch her………

WolfyJames

mercenary30 said:
Her demeanor seems to display a bit of desperation or maybe even some delusional quality. The lack of power emanations, as was present for the Devil, shows that the work she is performing here is mundane, without that unnatural quality. She is also not channeling, as was the Magician. This transformation will be within, her own mental and spiritual strength being utilized. She is not far enough into it for there to be any determination as to what her expected outcome is…….but I am not sure it is safe to stay here and watch her………

There are many sort of magics, all of them are valid. I see this sorceress as an alchemist, an herbalist, she uses metals and gems as well, she is the chemist of yesterday. Her powers are taken from different sources than the Magician and as I said her magic is as valid as the Magician. She seems to very focused on what she's doing.