2014 Golden Globe Award Predictions - Group Readings Exercise

Glass Owl

The 2014 Golden Globe Awards ceremony is just around the corner. Do you have any ideas as to whom might win? How about we ask our Lenormand decks? :party:

2448jlg.jpg

To participate, please select a category and then pull three Lenormand cards, asking the question: "Which nominee in this category will win the Golden Globe?"

I think that I will end up using the Mysteries of the Old Castle for this one (it just has a classic gothic movie feel, doesn't it?) but any Lennie of your choosing will certainly do.

In the US, the ceremony airs on January 12, 2014 at 8PM eastern time so be sure to do your readings and post them before the ceremony airs.

The Globe Globes website lists all of the nominees here but to avoid overload, let's focus on the award categories mentioned below. (Click on the links provided if you wish to view the trailer.) Depending upon how it goes, we can always add more.

Best Motion Picture, Drama:
12 Years a Slave
Captain Phillips
Gravity
Philomena
Rush

Best Actress in a Motion Picture, Drama:
Cate Blanchett (Blue Jasmine)
Sandra Bullock(Gravity)
Judi Dench (Philomena)
Emma Thompson (Saving Mr. Banks)
Kate Winslet (Labor Day)

Best Actor in a Motion Picture, Drama:
Chiwetel Ejiofor (12 Years a Slave)
Idris Elba (Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom)
Tom Hanks (Captain Phillips)
Matthew McConaughey (Dallas Buyers Club)
Robert Redford (All is Lost)

Best Supporting Actress in a Motion Picture:
Sally Hawkins (Blue Jasmine)
Jennifer Lawrence (American Hustle)
Lupita Nyong'o (12 Years a Slave)
Julia Roberts (August: Osage County)
June Squibb (Nebraska)

Best Supporting Actor in a Motion Picture:
Barkhad Abdi (Captain Phillips)
Daniel Brühl (Rush)
Bradley Cooper (American Hustle)
Michael Fassbender (12 Years a Slave)
Jared Leto (Dallas Buyers Club)

kmartin60

Oh wow! I never watch these and I havent seen any previews except for the one about "Captain Phillips" so....will deffinetely be going by cards alone! <3 so lets see.....

BEST MOTION PICTURE
Rider, Ship, Fish---"Captain Phillips" (this one was obvious wasnt it?)

BEST ACTRESS
Dog, Tower, Anchor---"Gravity" (lest thats what they seem to say to me!)

BEST ACTOR
Rider, man, Ship---"Captain Phillips" just seems obvious! hahahahahaha

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Clover, Boquet, Whip/Rod?--- "Jennifer Lawrence in "American Hustle" ??? dont know why but :-}

BESTSUPPORTING ACTOR
Tower, Anchor, Child---(I swear I did shuffle 7 x's good each time!) but am at a loss which one they are picking here..im gonna have to go research the movies to see! be back in a few.......ROFL

Glass Owl

Okay, here are my draws. I haven't seen any of this movies so I watched the trailers for each and matched my draws up with the general information that I gained about each.

Tower+Garden+Owls
Breaking this down, I looked at these as: Isolation/Institution + Social/Outdoors/Community + Gossip/Two people chatting

My first reaction is that the cards are talking about Gravity. The movie deals with isolation and being up in space, you can't get much higher [Tower]. It is outside obviously and there is the space community [Garden]. (Another way of looking at it, it is an outdoor institution.) And then there's Sandra Bullock's character, whose only means of communication is via a headset with a male character (played by George Clooney.) [Owls]

I suppose it is possible that the cards could fit Philomena. There is an institution involved (the place where her baby was adopted out). She appears (at least in the trailer) to be out talking with others as she is looking for clues, and the Owls could refer to her and the journalist chatting about her situation. However, Gravity is still my first choice as I think there would have been other cards which would have turned up for this film (such as Child, Ship, Rider, etc) instead.

Tower+Stork+Stars
I feel that this combination points to Sandra Bullock (Gravity). Once again, there is that Tower card (which I see as Isolation or the Institution of the space), Stork referring to her taking flight (relocating) up there or a change in her situation, and the Stars could literally be talking about the stars in space.

Coffin+Bouquet+Moon
I strongly feel that this combination point to Matthew McConaughey (Dallas Buyers Club). The character, diagnosed with HIV and basically given 30 days to live [coffin], works around the system in order to get experimental treatments and medications for himself and gains a reputation [Moon] as someone who can provide them to others [bouquet].

Scythe+Mountain+Stork
So breaking this one down, there's: cutting/separating+obstacle+migration/relocating
The character that Julia Roberts plays in August: Osage County has a falling out with her family (her mother seems to be a real challenging person to deal with) and moves away and then comes back. So this could fit with her character.

It is also possible that the combo matches the character played by Lupita Nyong'o in 12 Years a Slave. From the trailer, I can't make out too much of what happens to this character or her background, but depending upon her circumstances, it could point to someone being separated from family and forced into slavery.

Woman+Bouquet+Man
This immediately makes me think of the character protrayed by Jared Leto in Dallas Buyers Club. His character is transsexual and in this combo is the Woman card and Man card, separated by the Bouquet. I think the Bouquet card also points to the character's role in providing experimental treatments and drugs to others.

ana luisa

Best movie
Letter-key-mice

Definitely 12 Years a Slave . The letter (documents, papers) with the key (being locked) and the mouse situation (living like a gutter animals) does suggest this movie.

Best actress

Can I confess something ? I cheated here. I used the Dixit for this one. Is it ok ? If not, tell me. I~ll redo my reading with the Lenormand.
I got a card with an old hen up on a podium getting the golden medal. Isn´t it uncanny ? Don´t take me wrong I absolutely LOVE judy Dench but with the old hen association I am almost sure Philomena will win. It´s like saying "you chicks still have a long way to go before you get as good as me ". Besides, I´m rooting for her.

ana luisa

Best actor

Matthew McConaughey

Moon - Woman - Snake - Oh, so many allusions here... The Moon is about things you don´t know, about fears, dangers, the night.
The snake reminded me of the caduceus for medication and of swervy routes and ways. Dangerous too.
The woman can allude to the nurse, to Jared Leto´s character and, also, to cocaine, the white lady.

Also, if he wins, I´ll be VERY happy.

Best supporting actress

Snake - Woman - Anchor

I swear I shuffled the heck out of my dekc. Her come the Snake and the Woman AGAIN. I´m torn, though. it could either be Sally Hawkins because she was the woman who provided support and stability to her sister (anchor + woman) when she was in dire straits (snake).
However, and this is my left brain talking , Jennifer has been getting a lot of media attention and she is also a strong contender. This time, the anchor goes for unstable and the snake for con work, for being caught in excuse deals and for an intelligent woman.

Shame. I am partial to June Squibb here. LOVE stories about rough towns/states and simpletons... AND b & w movies rock!

ana luisa

Best supporting actor

Stars - Clouds - Heart

I didn´t want to do this one. I am very torn here. There are two very deserving actors and it would really sadden me to see one lose :( From this combination, I would say Jared will take the prize. The clouds dark side is facing the heart and his character had LOTS of problems concerning her feelings and her life. And she was a very loving character as well. The bright side of the clouds face the stars and Jared is really ascending as such.
In case you´re wondering. I also thought Barkhad should take it. He plays with such intensity and so fiercely...

Well, those are my "predictions". The dud seems to be Gravity. And, in a way, Captain Phillips.
Having said all that, and knowing how the academy "works", it is quite possible that they give Redford the prize because they kinda owe him one after so many years, performances and also, because he´s getting old... We´ll see. ;) Thank you for creating this spread. it has been fun !!

Glass Owl

Having said all that, and knowing how the academy "works", it is quite possible that they give Redford the prize because they kinda owe him one after so many years, performances and also, because he´s getting old... We´ll see. ;) Thank you for creating this spread. it has been fun !!
Well, it is interesting that you mention that about Redford because for Best Actor in a Motion Picture (Drama), I drew:

Coffin+Bouquet+Moon

Perhaps the academy will give him the award [bouquet] due to this reputation [moon] and because they see him as getting old [coffin].

If this is the case, the cards are addressing what the academy is going to do and why rather than giving me clues as what role the winning actor portrayed.

Flaxen

House + Star + Dog

Star as the central card gives a space theme so it could be Gravity with the Dog showing the close bond which develops between the characters.

I can also see this as being 12 Years a Slave with the House referencing a plantation, Stars giving a feeling of fate and the Dog showing the need for a true friend or that the main character has a 'master'.

Ring + Dog + Coffin

Someone warm, trustworthy if a little sullen who is married. My feeling for this trio would be Judi Dench - the ring can represent something cyclical so someone who has been nominated multiple times.

Ship + Fish + Fox

Someone who is well-travelled, older and financially secure with red hair. Robert Redford. :)

ana luisa

Ok. The winners have been announced. I was sad Judy Dench didn´t get it but it is clear that the plot for American Hustle and Jennifer´s media coverage gave her much more leverage...

Glass Owl

Now that the 2014 Golden Globe winners have been announced, here's the highlights of the ones we got correct. (Click on the links to watch their Press Room interviews.)

12 Years a Slave <---Winner
Captain Phillips
Gravity
Philomena
Rush
Best movie
Letter-key-mice

Definitely 12 Years a Slave . The letter (documents, papers) with the key (being locked) and the mouse situation (living like a gutter animals) does suggest this movie.

House + Star + Dog

Star as the central card gives a space theme so it could be Gravity with the Dog showing the close bond which develops between the characters.

I can also see this as being 12 Years a Slave with the House referencing a plantation, Stars giving a feeling of fate and the Dog showing the need for a true friend or that the main character has a 'master'.

Chiwetel Ejiofor (12 Years a Slave)
Idris Elba (Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom)
Tom Hanks (Captain Phillips)
Matthew McConaughey (Dallas Buyers Club) <---Winner
Robert Redford (All is Lost)
Coffin+Bouquet+Moon
I strongly feel that this combination point to Matthew McConaughey (Dallas Buyers Club). The character, diagnosed with HIV and basically given 30 days to live [coffin], works around the system in order to get experimental treatments and medications for himself and gains a reputation [Moon] as someone who can provide them to others [bouquet].
Best actor

Matthew McConaughey

Moon - Woman - Snake - Oh, so many allusions here... The Moon is about things you don´t know, about fears, dangers, the night.
The snake reminded me of the caduceus for medication and of swervy routes and ways. Dangerous too.
The woman can allude to the nurse, to Jared Leto´s character and, also, to cocaine, the white lady.

Sally Hawkins (Blue Jasmine)
Jennifer Lawrence (American Hustle) <---Winner
Lupita Nyong'o (12 Years a Slave)
Julia Roberts (August: Osage County)
June Squibb (Nebraska)
Best supporting actress

Snake - Woman - Anchor

I swear I shuffled the heck out of my dekc. Her come the Snake and the Woman AGAIN. I´m torn, though. it could either be Sally Hawkins because she was the woman who provided support and stability to her sister (anchor + woman) when she was in dire straits (snake).
However, and this is my left brain talking , Jennifer has been getting a lot of media attention and she is also a strong contender. This time, the anchor goes for unstable and the snake for con work, for being caught in excuse deals and for an intelligent woman.
BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Clover, Boquet, Whip/Rod?--- "Jennifer Lawrence in "American Hustle" ??? dont know why but :-}

Barkhad Abdi (Captain Phillips)
Daniel Brühl (Rush)
Bradley Cooper (American Hustle)
Michael Fassbender (12 Years a Slave)
Jared Leto (Dallas Buyers Club) <---Winner
Woman+Bouquet+Man
This immediately makes me think of the character protrayed by Jared Leto in Dallas Buyers Club. His character is transsexual and in this combo is the Woman card and Man card, separated by the Bouquet. I think the Bouquet card also points to the character's role in providing experimental treatments and drugs to others.
ana luisa said:
Stars - Clouds - Heart

I didn´t want to do this one. I am very torn here. There are two very deserving actors and it would really sadden me to see one lose From this combination, I would say Jared will take the prize. The clouds dark side is facing the heart and his character had LOTS of problems concerning her feelings and her life. And she was a very loving character as well. The bright side of the clouds face the stars and Jared is really ascending as such.

As for Best Actress in a Motion Picture, Drama, the winner was Cate Blanchett (Blue Jasmine) but unfortunately none of us picked her based on our card draws.

Congratulations goes to [size=+1]ana luisa[/size] for having the most correct. :party:

Any thoughts on our draws now in retrospect?