Nisaba & AT: Japanese Tarot.

DownUnderNZer

I think it is you Nisaba...that in a trade thread last year gained a beautiful deck that was Japanese.

Do you remember it and if it's title can still be bought in Japan?

To everyone on AT... :D

A Japanese friend will be heading to Japan in July and will bring back any decks I want, so what Japanese decks would you recommend that can only be bought from there and are not OOP.

I do like the designs in the one Nisaba got and I do like themes like that - remind me of the record covers of old heavy metal bands. Fantasy. But vibrant and colorful.

Thanks!

DND :)

madhatter00o

I traded nisaba the Amano Tarot on the last Trade Train... is that the deck to which you're referring?

If so, it's still available here.

Another deck that might be worth having is the Spiritual Tarot (I think that's its name, anyways.) However, it's a Majors Only deck. In fact, a lot of the Tarot decks that are currently in print here are Majors Only...

A full 78-card Tarot that I quite like is the Mystery Tarot (that's what its name translates to..). It's minimalist line drawings, which are very charming. I can't recall if the Minors are scenic or non-scenic, though. I don't actually have it because it was a liiiittle too expensive and I just didn't love it enough.

I'll hit the bookstore before work (they're literally right next to each other) to check out what other things are available.

DownUnderNZer

Neat! I think so and will look to make sure. :thumbsup:

Do you mean Kinnokinuya? Forgive my spelling if wrong.

And also does Amazon Jp have it as I am still a member there.

Will do whatever is easy as he will be there for a wedding, so about 7 days and I want to make sure it is as easy as possible.

He has no idea what fortune cards are, but did understand Manga and playing cards. Plus super heroes and fantasy.

Thanks if you can check it out!

I traded nisaba the Amano Tarot on the last Trade Train... is that the deck to which you're referring?

Another deck that might be worth having is the Spiritual Tarot (I think that's its name, anyways.) However, it's a Majors Only deck. In fact, a lot of the Tarot decks that are currently in print here are Majors Only...

A full 78-card Tarot that I quite like is the Mystery Tarot (that's what its name translates to..). It's minimalist line drawings, which are very charming. I can't recall if the Minors are scenic or non-scenic, though. I don't actually have it because it was a liiiittle too expensive and I just didn't love it enough.

I'll hit the bookstore before work (they're literally right next to each other) to check out what other things are available.

madhatter00o

Any of the major booksellers, really. Kinokuniya, Maruzen, Junkodo, etc.

I don't know about Amazon Japan... if you're still a member there you can always try searching for it yourself.

If your friend goes into the bookstore, ask him to look for the characters 占い, or he can ask a staff member for the uranai section.

Oh and one more deck! (One of my favourites actually.) If you like ancient Japanese mythology, then the Japanese Myth Tarot (again, Majors Only) is fabulous.

DownUnderNZer

Will look when home tonight and will google all the ones you have mentioned to see what stands out for me.

Will look at Amazon JP too now I have some titles.

Will also let him know when I see him next.

I envy him as he was just there and went to Disney Sea! But I didn't know he was going back as was busy so didn't touch base with him until now.

Kicking myself....

Any of the major booksellers, really. Kinokuniya, Maruzen, Junkodo, etc.

I don't know about Amazon Japan... if you're still a member there you can always try searching for it yourself.

If your friend goes into the bookstore, ask him to look for the characters 占い, or he can ask a staff member for the uranai section.

Oh and one more deck! (One of my favourites actually.) If you like ancient Japanese mythology, then the Japanese Myth Tarot (again, Majors Only) is fabulous.

DownUnderNZer

Cant seem to find them on Amazon JP although it had one in French and one RW.

"Love and Mystery" is the "Amano" and I do like it. Cannot find "Mystery" at all. Not sure about "minimalist" though. Did see the Amano before only it was not the one I had in mind visually - seems the one I remember was in total color and along the lines of war craft and horror. :thumbsup: I thought Japanese, but was obviously wrong.

It is in fact "The Necronomicon".

Not Japanese, but I will get that one too!.

Amano is on my list for sure and I am liking the Japanese Myth Tarot a lot as well.

Was there anymore?

And if you were able to take a look before work what roughly are the prices in yen as I would like to make sure he is sorted before going...even if it is a few months off.

Thanks!

madhatter00o

The "Love and Mystery Tarot" is often considered Amano Yoshitaka's, but I'm not actually sure about that attribution. I know the one you're talking about, and it's not Amano's style at all (at least of *any* of the work I've seen him do, which is rather a lot...)

I went to the bookstore and they had the "standard fare," as I term it. Basically a bunch of decks that I find terribly uninteresting. Nothing stood out as very special, especially as a deck to commemorate your relationship with Japan.

I did, however, purchase a book on Tarot pathworking... it seems to just focus heavily on Kabbalah. We'll see how it pans out.

For prices, they range between ¥1700 and ¥2800. That includes the cards, as well as a guidebook. I'm not sure how useful the book will be because it's in Japanese, but if you can read Japanese, it should be alright.

DownUnderNZer

Thanks for all your help.

I stumbled across another Japanese deck I am considering, but would like to see more images if I can find them of course.

Ukiyoe Tarot

Have you ever seen or heard of this deck? :)

The "Love and Mystery Tarot" is often considered Amano Yoshitaka's, but I'm not actually sure about that attribution. I know the one you're talking about, and it's not Amano's style at all (at least of *any* of the work I've seen him do, which is rather a lot...)

I went to the bookstore and they had the "standard fare," as I term it. Basically a bunch of decks that I find terribly uninteresting. Nothing stood out as very special, especially as a deck to commemorate your relationship with Japan.

I did, however, purchase a book on Tarot pathworking... it seems to just focus heavily on Kabbalah. We'll see how it pans out.

For prices, they range between ¥1700 and ¥2800. That includes the cards, as well as a guidebook. I'm not sure how useful the book will be because it's in Japanese, but if you can read Japanese, it should be alright.

Symphony

I have the Ukiyoe tarot, I got it from The book depository last year. It's a Marseille style deck and is pretty. I love the art on it but can't seem to be able to read with it

FLizarraga

Nisaba and Japanese Tarot

Please address the rumors. Is it true that Nisaba herself posed for this one?