Good astrology deck

Rachx

Would anyone be able to recommend a good deck that uses the Golden Dawn system of astrology? I've noticed that the Liber T deck has signs but is based on Thoth. I am learning astrology to use alongside Tarot reading so just need help with assignment of cards to planets and signs. I'd also like to learn how the degrees apart come into play- i.e. Is a conjunction better/more important/bigger priority than a trine or sextile or whatever. Any help would be gratefully received xxx

Zephyros

The Thoth and Golden Dawn system don't differ in terms of astrology. Where they differ is in the placement of the Hebrew letters. In any case, a few that come to mind are the Hermetic Tarot, the Golden Dawn Tarot by Robert Wang, the Golden Dawn Magical Tarot by the Ciceros, and the Golden Dawn Temple Tarot by Nick Farell.

Rachx

Thanks Zephyros. I was told that the knights and kings allocations were different. So my allocations table has the Knight of wands as Sagittarius which I now think is the Thoth allocation and Golden Dawn would have him as Leo. Also my allocations have the pips cards following a Thoth set up. Does that make sense? I am trying to learn to work with astrology in Tarot so printed off two tables from here in AT xx

Spiffo

I'd go Thoth as a first stop; all the astrological signs and decans are marked on each card.

Mind you, it is very hard to look past the Tabula Mundi for a deck that blends all the woohoo, beautifully, in a symphonic way. The deck can be augmented by the addition of the twelve zodiac decan cards. Parts of images, symbols, signs, repeat throughout the deck to immediately help you get a visual idea of what cards are related to what and how. It's terribly clever.

The Golden Dawn system is fairly straightforward. I've attached the circle diagram from Robert Wang's book The Qabalistic Tarot (1983, revised 2004, Marcus Aurelius Press).

In the diagram read:
King - Thoth Knight - RWS King
Queen
Prince - Thoth Prince, RWS Knight
Princess

The switch of the attribution of two Hebrew letters isn't going to have any major impact if you're just mixing Tarot and Astrology; that Tree is a whole other thing.

Note though how the Knight (arguably RWS King), Queen, and Prince (RWS Knight) all straddle three decans. While the Princesses (RWS Page) and the Aces straddle a quadrant. There are some basic, flowery, and even poetic explanations of the whys for that. As for the whole Knight/King thing, I really think it's easiest to think of a Thoth Knight as a RWS King (although there are subtle and telling differences, best left for more in-depth study). Think of the Thoth Knight as just a King, who isn't welded to his Throne, he's out there getting on with ruling his realm, striving, conquering.

Attachments

• Cards & Zodiac.jpg
    Cards & Zodiac.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 204

Rachx

I'd go Thoth as a first stop; all the astrological signs and decans are marked on each card.

Mind you, it is very hard to look past the Tabula Mundi for a deck that blends all the woohoo, beautifully, in a symphonic way. The deck can be augmented by the addition of the twelve zodiac decan cards. Parts of images, symbols, signs, repeat throughout the deck to immediately help you get a visual idea of what cards are related to what and how. It's terribly clever.

The Golden Dawn system is fairly straightforward. I've attached the circle diagram from Robert Wang's book The Qabalistic Tarot (1983, revised 2004, Marcus Aurelius Press).

In the diagram read:
King - Thoth Knight - RWS King
Queen
Prince - Thoth Prince, RWS Knight
Princess

The switch of the attribution of two Hebrew letters isn't going to have any major impact if you're just mixing Tarot and Astrology; that Tree is a whole other thing.

Note though how the Knight (arguably RWS King), Queen, and Prince (RWS Knight) all straddle three decans. While the Princesses (RWS Page) and the Aces straddle a quadrant. There are some basic, flowery, and even poetic explanations of the whys for that. As for the whole Knight/King thing, I really think it's easiest to think of a Thoth Knight as a RWS King (although there are subtle and telling differences, best left for more in-depth study). Think of the Thoth Knight as just a King, who isn't welded to his Throne, he's out there getting on with ruling his realm, striving, conquering.

Hi Spiffo thank you for this - printing it as we speak. So I guess if I read Thoth knights as similar to RWS kings who can get out and about - that's a cool way of thinking about them and Thoth kings as knights I will be somewhere close! I do like the tabula mundi deck a lot actually but didn't get it as it's Thoth based. If you suggest a Thoth deck I can go for it- maybe it's time I explored Thoth anyway! I have always been a bit put off as it's meant to be a bit complex. Maybe it's time I learned about those knights who are really kings [emoji23] Thank you for your cool suggestions [emoji41] xx

EmceeDirector

Hi Rachx,
I just got done studying tarot and astrology together. For starters I was using a book called Tarot and Astrology by Corrine Kenner. It's brilliant. In her book she uses the deck entitled The Wizards Tarot. I actually had that deck when I bought the book, but decided to use a new Thoth based deck that really incorporates the astrology on the cards. It is called Tabula Mundi Colores Arcus and it is reviewed on Aeclectic and sold privately by the creator.
Hope this helps!
Emcee

Rachx

THank you Emcee - have just been googling Tabula Mundi and humming and hahing over the price and shipping time and which to get. I can get Thoth on Amazon quite quickly but TM is gorgeous oooh decisions... thanks for suggesting the book too - I will have a butchers at that xx

EmceeDirector

Rachx,
Do what your budget allows! But if you do have the ability to pay the price for Tabula Mundi I promise you will not be disappointed. It truly is a brilliant deck. It has become my "go-to" deck!
Peace and Love!
Emcee

Rachx

70 USD for book and deck is about £55 in GBP the Thoth and book is £10.66 - arrggghhhh slight difference but maybe I should treat myself [emoji4]

Nemia

I'm on a tight budget too but I have to say - if there is ONE deck you might wish to save your money for, it's the Tabula Mundi. It's absolutely brilliant - as study deck, reading deck and simply as feast for the eyes.

I saved up for it and I didn't regret it. And if you buy it, buy it with the book. It's one of the best tarot books if you wish to study tarot and astrology - IMHO it blows Kenner out of the water.

I found Anthony Louis' book about tarot and astrology very good, and just now I'm reading Elizbeth Hazel's Tarot Encoded which also seems very interesting.