The Different Box Colors of the Thoth

MysticMoonlight

The Thoth seems to be wanting to land a spot in my collection. It's on my mind daily so I've done quite a bit of browsing. I have to admit I'm a bit confused by the different box colors the deck is sold in. What do the different box colors mean if anything? Are there differences in the decks according to the color of the box?

I do know (or think I know) that the big green box houses the largest deck of the Thoths and so far at this point, I seem to prefer it and am leaning toward purchasing it (I like big cards). So, I wonder, is that the only difference...the box colors house different sizes of the deck or are there other differences as well? I've seen a white box Thoth, a light blue box Thoth, a darker blue box Thoth, a purple-ish box Thoth....am I missing any? :)

This deck isn't my normal cup of tea and right now, I'm not positive what exactly the allure is about. Some of the art seems so very much not my thing while some of the art is quite beautiful. I'm not necessarily a Crowley fan or anything so I'm interested in discovering exactly why this deck has my attention and interest so piqued. Reviews are excellent and I'm quite intrigued by just how many people here on AT say they have it and just love it. If I could clear up the multi-colors of boxes and why that is, it would be a welcome end to my pondering on that matter :)

smw

I'm not positive what exactly the allure is about. Some of the art seems so very much not my thing while some of the art is quite beautiful. I'm not necessarily a Crowley fan or anything so I'm interested in discovering exactly why this deck has my attention and interest so piqued.

I bought the Thoth deck on the spur of the moment, great images though I wasn't sure either what the draw really was.... I was not a particular fan of Crowley either ;) However, it it is like a huge universe if you are curious :)

MysticMoonlight

I bought the Thoth deck on the spur of the moment, great images though I wasn't sure either what the draw really was.... I was not a particular fan of Crowley either ;) However, it it is like a huge universe if you are curious :)

I've read this very thing about the deck so often, smw, that it's life changing/a whole different world and it has me so curious, I have to admit!

This deck must be mine! :)

Thanks for the input...I appreciate it!

Madrigal

This is a timely thread for me. I just spent the last several days researching the various differences in each of the decks. As a pp mentioned the tarotgarden site, though not recently updated, has a good description of the various decks. US Games actually gives you an opportunity to look at at least four of the variations--pocket swiss, small, large and premier edition. Of those four only one contains the two extra Magus cards. http://www.usgamesinc.com/Crowley-Thoth-Tarot-Deck-Large/

Reviews on Amazon are helpful to scroll through. This one in particular talks about the differences between the Swiss and Belgian versions and includes ISBN numbers if you want to get really specific with your search... http://www.amazon.com/review/R3DXM4...294X&nodeID=283155&store=books#wasThisHelpful

I'm awaiting the small version which is somewhere between the large and the pocket. And in the meantime I'm exploring the many good books on this deck. So many options.

Abrac

The last I heard (Jeannette - Tarot Garden), the Swiss Blue Box, US Games Green Box, and US Games Purple Box are all printed by AG Muller (they've been absorbed by France Cartes but may still use the Muller imprint, I'm not sure) and are virtually the same cards. At least the current ones are.

MysticMoonlight

Oh, awesome. Thanks so much guys! What would I do without AT? :)