Professional readers - photos of yourself to advertise?

rainboweve

I think potential clients will get a better sense of the reader from a video clip instead of a still image.

Great idea G6 - thank you! :)

ana luisa

I think potential clients will get a better sense of the reader from a video clip instead of a still image.

I agree ! Also because I find the voice a VERY important component in choosing a reader.

Obsydian

I do look young, and right now I'm not sure if it's hurting my business or not. I haven't really given it much thought actually!

However I can get vibes off of people by their images, and if I'm sensing nothing but good things, I'm more likely to do business with them.

Laurelle

I'll play Devils advocate.

Do you disregard someone's advice or persepective on this forum because the vast majority don't use a photo of themselves?

You should do what you are comfortable with. If you like your privacy try it without a photo. If you're not getting the business you want then try a photo. If you are worried about appearing younger then just put something on there that clarifiers your age like " reading since" or even put a birthday with a natal chart. (Month, day, year, time) you can Google free natal charts.

tarotlova

I had to put one up for my online reading site too, it was a requisite to do so. I take terrible photo's and didn't want to do it! I am always the one with eyes half closed or looking like I have quadruple chins (I don't) because of the angle of the camera! But I found one my husband likes that he took of me on my birthday so I used that. But I one for one don't care if there is a photo or not as I can't tell you how many times I have had a reading on here from someone who I thought was a man or vice versa and found out otherwise and it really made diddly squat when it came to the actual reading itself. I too hate those stupid glamour photo's or the ones that dress like a Gypsy with turban and everything, really off putting. Same with profiles that say they are from a long line of psychics sigh really. :p

readings.by.mia

From my experience, a picture of mine is my own logo for my business and it is something I didn't even think not doing and I hadn't thought concretely on this as a client attractor or as a turn-down.

I can get your concerns about seeming too young, I'm quite a young reader myself, nevertheless, if you make sure to make some content where you show you know what you're talking about, you shouldn't have problem because of appeareance, and if even though it is a turn down for clients, it was meant to be so.

ashtoreth

During the very early days I never used pictures to advertise=but most of my clients found me via word of mouth. I ended up having a lot of images of myself in the public domain, so I figured I might as well start using them for my readings. My website has one large image that I change from time to time.

The reason it works is because people like to associate a face with the person they are seeking counsel from. I think it makes it easier to relate? And in some ways the picture is a sort of logo. A stock image is impersonal (imo) and it feels generic.

EmpressArwen

I'm not a professional reader but one thing I would say is if you use a picture, update it OFTEN. I used to go to this wonderful reader who had a very dated picture of herself on her website, business cards, etc. It was clearly taken in the 80s (big shoulder pads, even bigger hair, loads of makeup). She now looks completely different. Straight, lovely gray hair, minimal make-up, understated clothing and jewelry. Don't cling to an old look that would make people think you are stuck in a past decade.

rainboweve

I'll play Devils advocate.

Do you disregard someone's advice or persepective on this forum because the vast majority don't use a photo of themselves?

You should do what you are comfortable with. If you like your privacy try it without a photo. If you're not getting the business you want then try a photo. If you are worried about appearing younger then just put something on there that clarifiers your age like " reading since" or even put a birthday with a natal chart. (Month, day, year, time) you can Google free natal charts.

While I don't disregard anyone's advice on the forum due to a lack of a personal photo, I was trying to think of it more from a perspective of someone who might be interested in getting a reading for the first time, or at least from a new reader. :) I was kind of thinking that having a friendly personal photo might get a higher "conversion rate" when it comes to new clients. Though I don't know why I didn't think to just list my age somehow :laugh: That is a great idea, thank you. :)

rainboweve

I'm not a professional reader but one thing I would say is if you use a picture, update it OFTEN. I used to go to this wonderful reader who had a very dated picture of herself on her website, business cards, etc. It was clearly taken in the 80s (big shoulder pads, even bigger hair, loads of makeup). She now looks completely different. Straight, lovely gray hair, minimal make-up, understated clothing and jewelry. Don't cling to an old look that would make people think you are stuck in a past decade.

Oh goodness, that's a bit of a funny story :laugh: I'll be sure to keep that in mind and for sure won't be ordering enough business cards to last me decades, haha :)