Reactions to Deviant Moon Tarot?

Trogon

I'm not sure how I feel about the Deviant Moon tarot. I keep thinking about getting it but haven't got round to it yet. It does feel quite dark. I'm not sure I like the artwork but the deck does seem to have quite a strong sense of atmosphere.
When I first looked at the images here on A.T. (http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/deviant-moon/) I also thought that it seemed kind of dark. But now that I have it, I have found that it really isn't. Oh, some of the cards have a bit of a "darker" feel to them than some other decks (such as the 3 of Swords) ... maybe not "dark" but rather "Earthy", realistic. But then it is, as Penthasilia said, quirky. A good example is the 5 of Swords (see attached), where the person taking the swords isn't necessarily sneaking, but rather is mocking those he is stealing from!

Attachments

• DevMoon5Swords.jpg
    DevMoon5Swords.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 194

MsRed

Trogon, the Five of Swords is a very good example for this deck's humour! I'd like to add the Five of Cups here as well - the quarreling couple, she telling him off and he sitting there with the fingers in his ears and sticking out his tongue. Too funny!
I guess, it depends on your definition of "dark" whether you find the Deviant Moon dark or not. If I had to describe it I would say: "It's as if Tim Burton and Neil Gaiman would have made a Tarot deck together." Both artists' work is sometimes grotesque and morbid but at the same time funny and lovely. Their work is surely not everyone's cup of tea and so is the Deviant Moon.

WolfSpirit

Well I don't know if everyone knows this, there are images of old tomb stones integragrated into all the cards. On a subconscious level it may bother some people, remind them of their own mortality, so that could explain some of the reactions other than just the surreal images themselves.

When I heard about this before the deck was finished and before I had seen any cards, I was expecting something very different, more atmospheric.
As it turned out, I can't relate to the characters in this deck at all.

Axer

That deck is creepy and trippy. It sort of reminds me of the place I was dwelling in at the time before I was born... if that makes any sense to anyone. I appreciate art and enjoy this one's take on it but I don't think I'd get this deck, only if like someone gave it to me.

Tibor

This deck is amazing by all means. I have recently read with it professionally and my seeker was thrilled as the reading proved to be very insightful and on the spot. I like its darkness the colours and the whole atmosphere of it. I hope that in the companion book Patrick creates a nice story around its characters. I could imagine a whole tv series based on this deck :)

Tomsde

A companion book or even CD would be much welcomed. It's not an ordinary tarot deck by any any stretch of the imagination. The LWB is too small.

marimorimo

I've been actively avoiding this deck since it came out as I found the images too disturbing. I keep running into it, though, because it's so popular!

Well I have just gotten sick of my happy-happy fairy-and-floss decks (finally admitted to myself that my very first deck, the Robin Wood, is definitely not for me) and suddenly the Deviant Moon appealed to me. I still find it disturbing, but in an interesting and provocative way.

Haven't purchased it yet, but I have finally added Deviant Moon to my Wish List :)

Winterchild

I love my DM deck but I have exactly this feeling when I look at the cards..... it has a very innocent yet knowing, old yet young.....soulful, feel for me, you put my thoughts into words perfectly... it is also a place I go when I am neither waking nor sleeping, yet not here in this realm....

That deck is creepy and trippy. It sort of reminds me of the place I was dwelling in at the time before I was born... if that makes any sense to anyone. I appreciate art and enjoy this one's take on it but I don't think I'd get this deck, only if like someone gave it to me.

Eeviee

I love the art in Deviant Moon! It was the first "modern" deck I bought. But I also love graveyards/stones/old architecture (the textures used) and "dark" or sometimes "creepy"/"haunting" imagery!

The only problem I have with this deck, is that I am drawn to the negative meanings of the cards. Damn near spot on interpretations intuitively, but always negated or sometimes even inverted.

I guess that would make it good for getting a different perspective, or working with your personal "shadows".

entropy

For a long time DM was my "go to" deck. I found it especially helpful in reading the court cards intuitively. The Queen of Pentacles is giving too much of herself away to people who can't possible appreciate the gift. The Queen of Swords has just eviscerated someone with her intellect and realizes she's gone too far with it. The Knight of Wands is this locust that leaves nothing behind - the scorched earth Knight. The Page of Wands is skating on thin ice... When I get stuck with the courts in other decks, I go back to my DM, remember what the figures are doing, and then start from there.