ANCIENT EGYPTIAN STUDY GROUP - 0 Fool

Tarot Orat

I just got this deck/book set and will be studying it soon, I'll start with the Fool. Just wanted to stick my hand up and say "hi" in this group :)

ETA:
So this post doesn't get removed, here is some actual discussion of the card! About that butterfly...the first known depiction of a butterfly in art is on an Egyptian wall painting. So the butterfly on this card not only makes me think of innocence, freedom, and new life because it's a butterfly, but because it's a depiction of a butterfly in an ancient Egyptian setting. A butterfly from the days of the earliest butterfly artwork!

I don't think it's the same kind of butterfly as in the tomb painting, I kinda wish it were.

Like the last line of "The Name of the Rose," paraphrased: the butterfly dies, but the picture of the butterfly remains. Forever warm and still to be enjoyed...now I'm totally skipping centuries between quotations :) The second one is from Keats' poem "Ode to a Grecian Urn."

(I'm not saying that no one but ancient Egyptians ever painted butterflies before, but if they did, that artwork hasn't been found. Who knows, there might be a butterfly on a prehistoric cave painting that hasn't been discovered yet!)