ANCIENT EGYPTIAN STUDY GROUP - XIV Temperance

rwcarter

This card shows the goddess Nephthys, who was Set's wife and Anubis' mother. Her marriage to Set balanced the marriage of Osiris and Isis.

She wears the vulture headdress of Nekhebet, the patron goddess of Upper Egypt (before the unification of Upper and Lower Egypt) who was often depicted as the Egyptian white vulture. There are three Uraeae (plural of Uraeus) on the front of the headdress. Atop her head is the hieroglyphic representation of her name, which means Lady of the Mansion. Her wings show that she could take the form of a hawk. She could also take the form of a kite.

She holds two jars in her hands, allowing their contents to freely mix. The hieroglyphs on the jars contain the phrase "life, strength and health." From a color standpoint, silver represents intuition. It's used to remove negativity, and it fosters hope and grounding and also encourages stability. Gold represents spiritual healing, constancy and wisdom. It also fosters understanding. The mixing of the associations for the two colors plays right in to the development of "life, strength and health."

Nephthys stands with one foot on the earth and one foot in the water. Egypt depended on the harmonious blending of the land with the waters of the Nile - separately, neither is live-giving, but when properly joined together, they have a positive effect on the life cycle of Egypt. Nephthys is the conduit that brings about the balance between Order and Chaos in the lives of the Egyptian people.

Behind her is a rainbow, which symbolizes the meeting of heaven and earth. Before her is a bow and arrow. The bow is an earthly representation of the rainbow. Sagittarius also uses bow and arrow as weapons. Just as one meaning of Temperance is about the blending of opposites, the bow itself is both masculine and feminine. In its masculine incarnation, it's a weapon which takes prowess to use for dispatching the masculine (and phallic) arrow. In its feminine incarnation, it symbolizes the crescent moon.

The blue of her eye makeup and gown gives peace of mind. It indicates healing, friendship and wisdom and also suggests guidance.

The imagery of the card shows harmony between the psychic and material worlds, the union of different elements into a single (new) whole, the equilibrium of opposites, the meeting and resolution of contradictions, the harmonious workings of the intellect and the passions and also the union of consciousness and subconsciousness that provides a firm basis for continued progress, which is only achieved through harmony.

Rodney

Dancing Bear

I drew Temperance , for how my day had been so far .. and i was expecting a card to say literally how my day had gone in the physical world.. But this card to me spoke of what was going on in my head..
On a spiritual level i am going through a shift.. and i dont know whether i like it or not..always the way when this happens lOL!
I was only thinking moments before hand that there is a change happening.. I am unsure where it was heading, but a change is most definately happening..
I do medium work, and have been extremely hard on myself and dedicated in my work.. and was wondering whether i am able to cut it..

this card for me visually in the background is speaking of spirit, Osiris to me is representing the guide who is leading the way or showing the way.. the time to act is now for me to ascend to where i want to go..without looking at the book .. thsi card spoke volumes to me with out words, i felt as if all was goign to go really well and i should be so ahrd on myself, it is good to stay humble , but not so mcuh i doubt myself.. it tells of my dedication to helping spirit and those living. I must remember..I am connected at all times, I am spirit having a physical experience..It is time for me to be positive and keep going not give up and act now .

the following card I asked how is the rest of my day going to pan out, I had a double reading booked in the next half an hour .. 3 discs came out..