Tarocco Egiziano

Aeric

While I was on vacation in Italy I picked up the Tarocco Egiziano in Florence. AT doesn't even have an entry I can find under Egiziano or Egyptian or Etteilla. Can someone shed some light on this deck?

The LWB and a few sellers claim that it's based on Etteilla's catalyst revision of playing card Tarot for divinatory purposes. Thus several of the Major Arcana are different from the RWS, and the suits of Wands and Coins are reverse attributed to Diamonds and Clubs. It feels like something of a transition between playing card Tarot and the standards set by TdM or RWS. It includes Hebrew letter or Kabbalah associations that I've seen in some other correspondence decks, like the Stairs of Gold/Tavaglione, but also playing card images themselves. I've never seen anything like it; it seems a system unto itself.

It's mysterious to me, but hopefully someone can aid. Can Egiziano be applied to other Tarot systems or is it something that stands alone?

Hecatere

Tarot Egiziano

Hola Aeric,
Me gustan mucho las cubiertas denominadas "Etteilla", y he podido comprobar que existen muchas variedades.
Respecto a la que tú denominas Egiziano, es una baraja compuesta por varias partes en cada carta: la ilustración mayor corresponde a la cubierta de Etteilla, otra parte a la baraja española, otra a la francesa y entre ambas un jeroglífico egipcio.
Hace unos meses conseguí otra variante llamada "Tarot Catalán", ilustrado en el libro del Dr. Moorne "El supremo arte de echar las cartas", un texto complejo, pero del que podrás obtener mucha información. El Egiziano y el Catalán son la misma baraja, sólo cambia el colorido.
Espero haberte ayudado.

kwaw

Is it an Italian version of the Spanish 'Egyptian Tarot' here:

CARD02U.JPG

or here:

mysteryetteilla2 by RasaMaenad, on Flickr

The spanish 'Egyptian Tarot' c.1900 was based on a French edition c.1867 called Le Grand Jeu de l'Oracle des Dames (Or Etteilla III).

The main illustrations are accompanied by additional elements in a vertical space on the left half of each card. For example Hebrew letters on the major arcana, and both Spanish-suited pattern (Catalan) and a French-suited (international) pattern on the minor. In all the cards in the deck, in the small space in the middle of the left half there are Egyptian hieroglyphs. On the top and bottom of each card are the divinatory meanings.

Sumada

Etteilla / Egiziano decks

Hi Aeric,
Good score - this is a wonderful quirky deck indeed.
Both Hecatere and Kwaw have given you as much information as I can offer, but here's a comparative pic of two Etteilla and two Catalan/Egiziano decks from my collection:
Top left - Grand Jeu de L'Oracle des Dames c.1890 pub. De La Rue
Top right - same as above 1980s pub. Dusserre
Bottom left - Catalan Taroccos c.1900 unknown Spanish pub. (anyone know?)
Bottom right - Tarocco Egiziano 1980s (?) pub. Bietti

Attachments

• Etteilla - Egiziano sm.jpg
    Etteilla - Egiziano sm.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 1,364

Hecatere

Hola Sumada,

Son muy bellas las cuatro cubiertas que has compartido. Gracias.
Con respecto al denominado Tarot Catalán, tan misterioso, el que yo tengo tiene en la parte posterior una gran cantidad de letras hebreas coloreadas en verde. Lo compré de segunda mano hace unos meses, pero la baraja no estaba completa: le faltaban el As de Oros y La Rueda de la Fortuna, así que tuve que escanear ambos arcanos para poder incorporarlos a la baraja.

gregory

Hecatere - please post in English. I think we are supposed to do so all the time here, as I was once asked to delete a post I made in German. I tried running your posts through google translate, but I think they lose a lot in the translation there:D

gregory

Is it an Italian version of the Spanish 'Egyptian Tarot' here:

CARD02U.JPG

or here:

mysteryetteilla2 by RasaMaenad, on Flickr

The spanish 'Egyptian Tarot' c.1900 was based on a French edition c.1867 called Le Grand Jeu de l'Oracle des Dames (Or Etteilla III).

The main illustrations are accompanied by additional elements in a vertical space on the left half of each card. For example Hebrew letters on the major arcana, and both Spanish-suited pattern (Catalan) and a French-suited (international) pattern on the minor. In all the cards in the deck, in the small space in the middle of the left half there are Egyptian hieroglyphs. On the top and bottom of each card are the divinatory meanings.

I have a copy published by BIETTI/Bi-Ass, bought in the 1970s - and used, even then ! - whcih is identified by Wolfganag Kunze as : Etteilla Type III - version Catalan - 1966. There's one exactly like mine but published in 1983, on ebay right now, for $450....

This is what mine looks like.

Everywhere seems to list it as 1983 - but I did buy mine in the 70s, so... It is VERY Etteilla-ish.

Hecatere

Hello Sumada, I traslate my last reply

Very beautiful the four decks you've shared. Thank you.
Regarding the Tarot called Catalan, so mysterious, which I have on the back a lot of Hebrew letters colored in green. I bought it second hand a few months ago, but the deck was not complete: it lacked the Ace of Pentacles and Wheel of Fortune, so I had to scan both arcanes to incorporate them into the deck.