Bruegel Tarot - Nine of Chalices

Daphne d'Angelo

This is so great!

I love hearing other opinions on the cards! It's giving me alot to think about.

Spoonbender, I looked up some information about the caduceus. Apparently, the one snake rod started as the staff of Asklepios and was later replaced by the double snake staff of Hermes.

Here is an article from Encyclopedia.com

http://www.encyclopedia.com/html/c1/caduceus.asp

This link has a picture of a mosaic with Asklepios disembarking a boat, carrying his staff with one snake.

http://www.theoi.com/Kronos/Asklepios.html

The information you posted about Hemes's hat was really interesting. I didn't know that. Thanks!

So, there does seem to be a connection between Hermes and Asklepios. And between the caduseus and the hat. I wonder if there is a connection with the fan? Does anyone know of the symbology of the fan? I can't really find anything. To me it is a symbol of air, so I connect it with spirit. But, that's just an intuitive hunch on my part. I don't have any firm research to back that up.

I have to go, I having an Oscar party and have to clean my house. In fact, I'm sitting here procastinating as we speak. So, I'm off. :)

spoonbender

Hey Daphne,
Glad you liked my post and thanks for the information on the caduceus and the staff of Asclepius. Seems that indeed a single snake curled around a staff is the attribute of Asclepius (there goes my theory on the relation between the hat and staff!); I found a whole site about the comparison between the two, if anyone's interested :). Seems that the staff found it's origin in worm-treatment advertising :D...

I couldn't find anything on the symbolism of a fan either, except that it was connected to the wings of birds in ancient China. It's an interesting theory, it - together with the hat and staff - representing body, mind and spirit, but I'm a bit unsure why that would be shown on this card... If you find anything more, let us know :)!

Thanks for the info!

Warm regards,
Spoonbender

Tarotmyst

In one of Bruegels paintings the man with the fan appears. He is said to represent the dutch proverb:

He cannot bear to see the sun shine on the water (my neighbour’s property bothers me and I am annoyed at the sun smiling in the water).

I havent managed to tie this in with an english proverb that i would be more familliar with and haven't associated it much with the card meaning (slow brain day) but thought it might help others.

This site http://www.nelepets.com/art/pictures/bruegel/contents.html

should be useful in this study group. There are a lot of proverbs/images that appear within the cards found in this painting.

spoonbender

Tarotmyst, it's good to see you here! That's a very interesting site you linked to, thanks for that - I bookmarked it right away! It is exactly what's pictured on this card, but I'm also having trouble relating the proverb to the meaning of the 9 of Cups. It seems to show the direct opposite of what the other people on the card are doing, though.

Thanks again,
hope to see you around,
Spoonbender

Tarotmyst

Thanks Spoonbender.

I am still thinking about this card and some of the others that have been posted on already. I can't post as often and in as much detail as i would like, due to ill health, but i do enjoy reading the study groups.

gloria

What a fantastic site for Bruegel deck enthusiasts....thanks Tarotmyst.
That proverb will haunt me now...shall have to sleep on it for sure!
Gloria.