Your opinions on Crowley?

Niclas

Indigo Rose said:
No Crowley for me, thank you. (...) I really don't want to be a disciple of a man whose mind and desires were that evil. I respect those who can get beyond him, to appreciate whatever good they find in his deck/works...but I am NOT one of those people. (...)
Indigo Rose said:
(...) I'm sure the man himself was brilliant and gifted; and perhaps this is where the admiration comes from his fan base. (...) it felt like he had given over to darkness...(...)
I could not have put it better. I am not talking about rumours or his messed-up life, there are things in his own writing that make me want to puke - certainly not all of it, there are words of beauty, maybe even wisdom, too - but the dark side is so overwhelming that I don't want to associate with this man in any way.

Edge

Niclas said:
but the dark side is so overwhelming that I don't want to associate with this man in any way.

Then don't.... It's funny how folks continue to contribute to this thread. Opinions on AC could go on through the Aeon. No matter if one is for or against the man it really makes no difference. But it does make for good entertainment. I seriously doubt that 666 would give a sh*! about our opinions anyway.

RViewer

Crowley.

Originally Posted by Edge:
Then don't.... It's funny how folks continue to contribute to this thread. Opinions on AC could go on through the Aeon. No matter if one is for or against the man it really makes no difference.

So you are saying that in this thread, which is titled “Your opinions on Crowley”, that people offering such opinions are pointless and out of place? I fail to see your logic. I have a similar problem seeing the logic of the beast claiming to work white magic while creating a legacy of lies confusion and deceit.

It seems to me that your statement of intended ridicule is the one that is out of place here. Perhaps it is that those who follow this beast do not wish to look too closely at what side of Justice these teachings reside. Maybe they just wish to blindly follow someone who they believe has the ability to transfer power to them.

I believe Crowley would care about people's opinions for he was a person of very low self-esteem who played host to the darkest energies he could commune with. Such a person is in need of a second opinion more than they may be allowed to be aware of.

Edge

RViewer said:
I fail to see your logic.
That’s because I’m not trying to share it.
RViewer said:
It seems to me that your statement of intended ridicule is the one that is out of place here.
It seems to me that your attempt at correcting me is out of place. Your comments prove you understand very little of the message of the Master Therion. Although “legacy of lies confusion and deceit” is a sensational line!

ravenest

Upside down again!

RViewer said:
It seems to me that your statement of intended ridicule is the one that is out of place here. Perhaps it is that those who follow this beast do not wish to look too closely at what side of Justice these teachings reside. Maybe they just wish to blindly follow someone who they believe has the ability to transfer power to them.

Nup! Wrong there. What sort of low minded person would seek the transference of Crowleys power to them? An idiot I'd say. This is exactly the sort of thing AC was against! He is ALL for pointing out ways of finding your OWN power. Anyone who blindly follows AC is but another cult monkey and not worthy to be admited to his system!

It's very easy to point and criticise when one knows absolutly nothing of the high occult teachings of personal power and liberty (often supressed by those who without doubt know what side of justice they reside on) that AC taught. And that power was not at the expense of others or due to supression or anything. The Law of Thelema states that this power is for all, it is man's true state before the supression of religion and state which seem to have devolved from mans darker side and need to supress others.

I think we have here a case of not the pot calling the kettle black but the pot insisting it is white while the kettle is black (and hence bad and evil)

But of course, one knows the difference bewteen good and evil doesnt one?

RViewer

Hello Ravenest,

Here is an example of what I feel are assumptions on your part:

Quoted from Ravenest:
“It's very easy to point and criticise when one knows absolutly nothing of the high occult teachings of personal power and liberty”

“I think we have here a case of not the pot calling the kettle black but the pot insisting it is white while the kettle is black (and hence bad and evil) But of course, one knows the difference bewteen good and evil doesnt one? ”

I never claimed not to have a dark side :)

But the way I choose to direct it is back upon itself similar in action to the symbol known as the Uroboros (And no, I am not speaking of repression.) This is different than those who exalt and gratify this side by feeding it with whatever desires and experiences it wishes to drive a person to manifest in their life.

I have read much of Crowley’s work and whenever I hear him being questioned I seem to see the Law of Thelema be brandished as proof of his worth as a teacher. But he had a good deal more works than these to share did he not? Other works include “Diary of a Drug fiend”, “Book of Lies” etc. What of the message he delivered with the example of his life path and the forces he allied himself with?

To me it is inaccurate to state that Crowley was not into power at the expense of others. If you wish to ignore, excuse and downplay his personal life as “just for show and publicity” than perhaps dominating spirits and entities to satisfy his ego desires would qualify as “Obtaining power at the expense of others”? In fact please quote for me if you will where he teaches how to obtain Inner Strength without binding others in a magical working.

Here is a quote from the beast himself on how he felt about the world and those within it:

I have never grown out of the infantile belief that the universe was made for me to suck. I grow delirious to contemplate the delicious horrors that are certain to happen to me. This is the keynote of my life, the untrammeled delight in every possibility of existence, potential or actual.”

And here is one from John Keats who was a Golden Dawn member at the time Crowley was attempting to climb the ranks:

“With Crowley as head of the order, this will give a person of unspeakable life the means to carry on a mystical society, which will give hm control of the consciences of many.”

This it seems has come to pass.

Aeon418

RViewer said:
And here is one from John Keats who was a Golden Dawn member at the time Crowley was attempting to climb the ranks
John Keats was in the Golden Dawn? That's news to me. I thought Keats died in 1821. That's 67 years before the Golden Dawn was founded. :D

Perhaps you mean W.B. Yeats? He actually was a member of the Golden Dawn. It makes me wonder about some of your other statements and your seemingly very shallow understanding of Crowley. You claim to have read much of Crowley's work, I've yet to see any evidence of this claim. ;)

Scion

RViewer said:
So you are saying that in this thread, which is titled “Your opinions on Crowley”, that people offering such opinions are pointless and out of place? I fail to see your logic. I have a similar problem seeing the logic of the beast claiming to work white magic while creating a legacy of lies confusion and deceit.

I believe Crowley would care about people's opinions for he was a person of very low self-esteem who played host to the darkest energies he could commune with. Such a person is in need of a second opinion more than they may be allowed to be aware of.

Hey gang,

I've been sitting on my thumbs for the past few pages but I'm gonna jump in here because I feel like there is a discussion that is actually germane to the topic of the thread which is trying to poke through the soil.

Edge's comment wasn't that people can't express opinions but wondering why these same impassioned detractors continue to repeat the monotonous litany of Crowley's evils without gathering substantive information beyond urban legend and bits of self-promotion by the man himself.

I take Edge's point deeply to heart: it is bewildering why folks who can't stand Crowley are endlessly fascinated with standing in the middle of the virtual Town Square and trumpeting their righteous disapproval. And I love the idea that Crowley has spearheaded some kind of sinister global cabal which is reaping souls as we speak. The fact remains, propping up straw villains to build bonfires inevitably throws more light on the voyeuristic Mob than on the roasted Devil.

Crowley was an educated individual. Finding wisdom in his work is a matter of personal taste/effort/ability. For my money, the canonic Bible is at the root of more rape, torture, murder, and war than any other text in history but that doesn't make it any less beautiful or valuable as a work of myth and mysticism. And the kneejerk revulsion I have towards Christianity as an institution only descends to direct attack when I'm at my most petty. I spent years getting a degree in religion so that when fundamentalists and literalists of any stripe come a-knocking I can speak with some measure of competence.

I will defend anyone's right to howl execration at charismatic leaders because it is the nature of charisma to corrupt and the nature of movements to devolve. The observation that public figures gain power at the expense of others is circular and specious (like saying water is wet): that's what public means. Leaders draw followers to them and thereby become public figures. ALL public figures from Martin Luther King to Pinochet are buoyed by their constituents. That's the definition of leading, whether the power involved is characterized as religious or otherwise. And I know of very few organizations that don't have compromises and skeletons rattling around in their closets. Look at the desolation wrought by Christianity, Islam, and Judaism, all of which were founded by charismatic leaders and then ossified by bureacracy and cliché.

The Yeats quote misattributed by Rviewer is from a letter to Lady Gregory expressing concern about uncertain future of the Golden Dawn. It is similar in character to criticism by any existing hierarchy when faced with the charismatic interloper: Jesus, Franco, Gandhi, Elizabeth I, and Henry Ford included. If that is proof of Evil then it is so ubiquitous that the word is meaningless and The "Good Leader" a mythical beast.

In Saint Augustine’s Confessions, Book 12, section 24, he has this brilliant, fearless chunk about Moses and the impossibility of knowing the word of God. Augustine decides that no one is allowed to insist on one reading of any text because of our inherent ignorance and consequently no one has the right to dictate belief… From one of the most dogmatic of church thinkers, a diatribe against dogmatism. And that's a sword that cuts all ways.

It is my own weakness that I am immediately suspicious of people who sneak into neighboring churches to cast down Idols. Another weakness I have is humor: I doubt any leader who can't laugh at themselves because laughter is the sound of Truth. Only the ridiculous would attempt to ban ridicule. But my most concrete belief is that the moment we are certain, is the moment we are wrong. Anyone who announces their absolute certainty of anything (even uncertainty itself) has a streak of intellectual masochism too deep and vexing to bother plumbing. And they tend to wear the stink of burning books. We are the mote in the Universal eye and the seeds of Hate grow within us...

I don't believe in mindless monsters operating in a vacuum. I don't see how anyone but a child could believe that "Bad" people simply set out to do "Bad things" with no other motivation or desire... as if the world were idiot clockwork and everyone chooses a white or a black hat to dictate their responsibility-free actions. That's a practically medieval viewpoint, though no less popular or useful for being superceded by 600 years of intellectual progress.

Nietzsche says "Good is eternal and unchanging, therefore all progress depends on the Evil man." And Goethe has a certain someone say in Faust: "I am that force in the Universe forever striving towards Evil, forever accomplishing good."

Reading this entire thread is interesting: people are different; differensces are interesting. For anyone who popped over to the Thoth thread to log their disapproval of Crowley: I imagine The Beast is pretty chuffed... You couldn't have made him happier. The irony is that (in my opinion) the people defending him aren't worshipping him, but rather advocating a dialectic that presumes the ability to doubt.

Taking "untrammeled delight in every possibility of existence, potential or actual" seems like a synonym for reverent prayer. In my opinion, Crowley was an educated man trying to posit a faith that refused to provide simple answers and insisted that enlightened immortality was possible, but that each of us is responsible for rolling away our own stone.

Scion

Edge

Aeon418 said:
You claim to have read much of Crowley's work, I've yet to see any evidence of this claim. ;)

Hope you don't mind Aeon418 but I just have to put a double STAMP on this comment.

Now for other matters.....

Yesterday an attempt was made to scold me because I made a remark implying the insignificance of opinions. It's a day later and I still stand by this remark. Opinions are pointless, and yes I'm aware that a over a year ago a member of this site started a thread entitled "Your opinions on Crowley"? it seems this person was "put off" because the Great Beast was not as kind to animals as she thinks a person should be. (Once again an opinion) Since that time there has been a steady stream of opinions on the subject and sometimes off the subject, which are basically worthless. Not everyone is going to like AC, that's a fact. Another fact of life is these same souls are not going to understand the message of ATU XX.

1.10: “Let my servants be few & secret”

What matters is the message of the Master Therion, not the man himself. A silly thread, all though entertaining and beneficial for the SE spiders is not the place to learn the message. Do you want to know the message.... then find out for yourself! Do you have an opinion for or against the man, fine but Elvis has left the building and has apparently taken the author of this thread with him.

ZenMusic

>because I made a remark implying the insignificance of opinions. It's a day later
> and I still stand by this remark. Opinions are pointless,

so is that one