What does everyone do before / after a reading?

linnie

I hardly ever read, but when I do I put my energy into setting the space... I've only really done readings at a park bench with close friends whilst camping, or at home, besides festivals. If I'm at psychic fairs and festivals, though, I am more thorough, because there's lots of energy rocking around those places. As in when I give pranic healings, I ask for harmlessness. It's just a gentle gesture that a beautiful buddhist friend suggested years ago, and it sits right with me.

At those festivals, you can't often have candles etc because of insurance and allergies etc, so really I put my focus into creating a gentle space. More than once (and I'm not a frequent festival goer/reader), I've had people come into my space and say "This is such a beautiful space. It feels so safe and gentle. I'm not having a reading, but can I just sit here for a bit". That didn't make me any money, but it made me happier than earning money, because I was mainly there to get feedback on my cards anyway, and I actually felt honoured that I could create a space where people felt at peace.

One day, a young woman asked if she could come in, just to feel peace... She'd literally just come from her fiancee's funeral across the road. All her friends were off getting readings and she couldn't cope with the energy... I felt really, really blessed to be able to offer her the gift of a moment's peace.

So, really, I get out a couple of favourite clearing crystals, unwrap my cards and shuffle them, lay them upright, let the querent select the cards, and then read the story that unfolds. (This is for specific reading that I do with my deck, because that's what the deck requests :D). When I'm finished, I blow the deck, to clear it ready to start again. If a reading has been unsettling, i'' sniff a smudge stick, or one of my favourite oils, more to ground me than anything! :)

My priority is creating a safe haven for those who are trusting themselves to me for a brief moment in time. :)

DesertDream

I light a cigarette----

No, wait! That was for something else, :p.

LMAO! ;)

As in when I give pranic healings, I ask for harmlessness. It's just a gentle gesture that a beautiful buddhist friend suggested years ago, and it sits right with me.

I've had people come into my space and say "This is such a beautiful space. It feels so safe and gentle. I'm not having a reading, but can I just sit here for a bit". That didn't make me any money, but it made me happier than earning money, because I was mainly there to get feedback on my cards anyway, and I actually felt honoured that I could create a space where people felt at peace.

Beautiful story linne, i love it!!!!

i love to see everyone's tarot rituals, and I think from this thread in particular, it all just sounds so practical and drab. I love to throw in some woo at times. and this explains why! setting a sacred place is like activating the sacred space of Great Mother to come in and put others at ease. it is very important i think for healers to do this, or types of readings that are therapeutic. thank you for this!

Eusebia

banishing before reading

I always do a simplified, 5 minute banishing ritual before and after my readings. After them, I also do some extra grounding. I light a candle for the reading if I have one on hand. I do this to keep any negativity brought up in the reading from intruding into everyday life, for marking the reading time as special and making it easy to get into the mood. I'm not that concerned about outside influences, but the banishing ritual should take care of them either if they happen to be there. My tarot decks do have bags or good boxes, but I don't tend to make a fuss about reading cloths and such. What I need is a clean table or carpet on the floor that's all.

If it is important, I meditate directly before reading for 15 minutes or so and use an incense that is connnected with the purpose of the reading. I can add other ritualistic elements, but I rarely do this today. I want to keep things simple and usable in everyday life. I am a (more or less) practicing magician (post-Chaos post-Golden Dawn freestyle ;-) ) and see tarot as part of my path.

uraszz

I'm pretty new to tarot reading and i was wondering what everyone does before and after a reading. Do you bless the cards? Is there a prayer involved? Do you just get up and walk away? I'm curious! Let me know!

I don't have pre or post ritauls per se. I do go with my gut feeling and order the cards (before or after the reading) whenever I feel I should. I order them from The Fool to the Fountain and then Wands through to the Coins suit. What I do next is a bit tricky to explain so bear with me

I first shuffle the Wands suit with the Coins suit 3 times

Then I shuffle the Cups suit with the Swords suit 3 times

I then shuffle both piles 3 times or more until I feel comfortable with them

Then I add 1 Major Arcana card for every 7 cards into the Minor arcana. I feel that this aligns the deck with my energy because I'm a Life Path number 7

I then shuffle them all again for any number of times

I do this very rarely but particularly after a taxing reading

-uraszz