Ending a Reading?

RowanTarot

I apologize if this topic has been addressed before, but the search won't work at the moment and I'm really curious. :)

I recently read for a friend... three times in a row. There were two different matters to read about (work and relationship), and I don't mind that. However, I did mind that she didn't like my reading about her love life and made me do a second reading about it. She wouldn't have asked a professional that she was paying to do that.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had any tips to gently end a reading for someone. I did recently buy an oracle deck so I can sum up a reading with a card from that deck if I need to, but any other suggestions are more than welcome! Thanks in advance!

Disa

I'm not sure I would have done a second reading because she didn't like the first. I suppose it depends on the circumstances and if you asked a different question the second time. I may have said something like,"Well this is all the cards are showing me at the moment," then scooped up the cards and put them away. You may need to use more tact than that, but again it depends on the situation and the state of the querant.

nisaba

she didn't like my reading about her love life and made me do a second reading about it. She wouldn't have asked a professional that she was paying to do that.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had any tips to gently end a reading for someone.

In that particular case, I would have politely said "I'm sorry. The first cards that came out are the ones that have the message for you, any further cards we pull will just give us nonsense because we didn't respect the first answer."

Generally, just with running over, I tend to have a half-hour sand-timer on the table. I don't have to bring people to a stop - they see the sands, too, and they stop asking supplementary questions. :)

Barleywine

Since this was for a friend and you weren't operating under a deadline, I would have stayed with the first reading and said "OK, let's look at this from a couple of different angles to see what else it might be trying to tell you." I find tarot to be infinitely subtle and flexible, and there is almost always something more to be said at another less obvious level of interpretation. Over the years I've gotten used to "changing gears" in the middle of a reading and taking it in a different direction if the line of inquiry isn't producing much response or recognition from my sitter. I just dig in and dig deeper until that happens; it doesn't always work, but I'm not prepared to give up so easily.

RowanTarot

Thanks guys! I guess I'm just kind of a pushover and I'll have to work on that.

I love idea of keeping a lovely, big hourglass on the coffee table just for readings. And going in other directions sounds good, too, especially for a friend, not so much if I went pro.

Thanks again!

Ace

I think it is OK to do a second reading, but if the results were the same (or very similar) THEN it is time to put your foot down and say that is what IS, sorry but that's it. It is up to you to just say no, about anything you have enough of.

And again, something I learned when I was just starting out: especially about love, we want a different answer than what reality shows. We can't keep reading, expecting a different answer since the cards only reflect reality, not our wishes.

So put the cards away and offer her a cup of tea and some sympathy!

barb

PenPendragon

I apologize if this topic has been addressed before, but the search won't work at the moment and I'm really curious. :)

I recently read for a friend... three times in a row. There were two different matters to read about (work and relationship), and I don't mind that. However, I did mind that she didn't like my reading about her love life and made me do a second reading about it. She wouldn't have asked a professional that she was paying to do that.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had any tips to gently end a reading for someone. I did recently buy an oracle deck so I can sum up a reading with a card from that deck if I need to, but any other suggestions are more than welcome! Thanks in advance!

When reading in public, I developed this routine: finish reading, stand up, thank the querant, hold out my hand and shake his/her hand, bid farewell and they leave. When reading at home, be clear when the reading is over and 'sufficient' amount of Q.s after-questions are asked and answered. Stack the cards up and put them an arm's length away.
You are having trouble with a 'friend', who thinks she can just make you do more readings until she hears what she wants. Tarot doesn't work that way nor should you.
This could go on for years.

The first few years (back in the Primeval swamp) when I was learning Tarot I noticed that my cards, when asked the same question repeatedly, usually spat out increasingly ugly hostile cards....like "Enough!". (mine got irritable when misused, threw high Swords and the Tower at me).
My advice is, explain to your friend that you don't manipulate or choose the cards that come up, you are merely the conduit who interprets the cards that appear in answer to her question. Clearly explain that each person is the best one to decide how to manage their life, understand their circumstances and make common sense choices...not a reader/ psychic or cards. If the cards shine illumination, objectivity or offer useful guidance on a question, well and good. If the querant feels that your reading and the cards are wrong, then by all means disregard them.

There are people, friends at home or members of the public who come to fairs for readings, who demand more and more of the psychic/ reader....in the metaphysical community in K.C., we called them 'Vampires'. These are often quite pleasant and piti-ful sweeties who we really wanted to help. They try to pull more and more, your effort, time and energy...even after the reader is finished and has explained everything three times. In trying to please, the reader can end up exhausted and/or with a headache. (I know from experience.. when I was 'new', an elder psychic had to tell me what I'm telling you). Give the reading, then announce that you're finished. Put the cards away.
Stand up and invite said friend to come to another room, see the garden, eat a cookie and change the subject. Done is done. if necessary, say the 'channel' has disconnected.

There is no time like the present to learn to say, 'NO' if you haven't already done so. I hear in your post that you're aggravated, justifiably so, over reading for that friend and being manipulated then insulted. Just don't read for her again in the near future. (that means a couple of months, not days/ weeks). Not as 'punishment', but to prevent her
wanting to be dependent on anyone but herself.
Pen

PenPendragon

sorry

forgot to mark this thread to my mailbox.

gregory

In that particular case, I would have politely said "I'm sorry. The first cards that came out are the ones that have the message for you, any further cards we pull will just give us nonsense because we didn't respect the first answer."
This. If she didn't like it - that's tough. That's what the cards said, end of.

I wouldn't read for her again, either.

nisaba

ooo, you're harsh, gregory. I thought being harsh was my job.