What does everyone do before / after a reading?

gregory

Before: I unwrap the deck and get the client to shuffle until they thing it's done.

After, I shuffle briefly, and put the deck away.

It works.
She stole my ritual :mad: No wait - she lets the sitter shuffle. I don't do f2f, or almost never, so that doesn't apply to me....

})

Nemia

Tanga's prayer inspired me when I read about it first, and I translated it to German and made it suit my own belief system. I don't use it regularly but I think I will because it helps when I do.

I usually breathe deeply and close my eyes when I shuffle, and try to imagine that my feet have roots and my head is in the leaves of a tree with birds and clouds. It's an inner picture I find relaxing.

Another inner picture I have is of a dark peaceful lake with swans who put their heads into the water. Sometimes the stars are reflected in the water.

Another one is a shower not of white light but of rainbow coloured light.

I'm an insomniac and have found these images help me relax and when I see them within my mind, I'm more focused.

Sometimes I do nothing of the sort, just breathe. It depends on how difficult I find it to focus and become quiet. I don't have any other ritual, just my spread cloth (which is the cover of my tarot basket at all times), a deck and a table or bed.

Farzon

I close my eyes and concentrate on the question. If I want to ask Spirit Guides for help, I visualize them now.

I shuffle, eyes open again, trying to get my mind empty just as I would in a Zen meditation. Then I spread out the cards as a fan, choose the cards and do the reading.

After that's done, I randomly put the cards back into the deck. If Spirit Guides were involved, I close my eyes again, visualize, and thank them. I'll slightly bow in the physical world as well, Japanese dojo-style. If no Spirit Guides were asked for help, I jump right to the last step: shuffling the cards once again and putting them back into the box.

Marcus R

I like to light a candle most times but it's not necessary, I like incense too but rarely use it while reading lately, (my wife thinks it stinks.....everyone else likes it). I prefer to read in the afternoon or evening mostly with an old lamp for light. I prefer quiet to read so sit on the back veranda where I can hear the birds rather than the television. I have sometimes played music but I find it distracting.
I think of the issue while shuffling. Any jumpers I consider pertinent to the issue I may put aside but do this seldom. I do not turn any of the deck to create reversals but will accept any that appear.
While looking at the spread, I find I rub my left hand index and thumb together in a circular motion, something I have never done in any other circumstances, I can consciously not do it but am surprised to find it happening.
I mainly read for myself so let my mind wander in all (Tarot) directions while contemplating the spread, I may sit for an hour with the cards. I usually journal within that hour too.
After reading I restack the deck neatly, sometimes shuffle and have just recently started placing a smooth dark grey stone on the deck to keep it flat if I leave it out on the table.
I wrap my decks in scraps of cloth, (looks better than it sounds), I'm finding I'm attracted to red tartans lately.

That's it.

Farzon

I don't have any other ritual, just my spread cloth (which is the cover of my tarot basket at all times), a deck and a table or bed.

Oh great! I use a Navajo Blanket as spread cloth, and usually it also covers the boxes in which I store my decks! [emoji4]

DesertDream

. Creating a tiny sacred place always puts me in the right mind. Even if I only have a cloth a clear table or bed and my deck.

. I don't have any other ritual, just my spread cloth (which is the cover of my tarot basket at all times), a deck and a table or bed.

Nemia stole my ritual hehehehe

She stole my ritual :mad: No wait - she lets the sitter shuffle. I don't do f2f, or almost never, so that doesn't apply to me....

})

F2f?? I think I am more along the lines of not letting others touch my tools, unless maybe they have good energy.

Oh great! I use a Navajo Blanket as spread cloth, and usually it also covers the boxes in which I store my decks! [emoji4]

I have a weaved mexican blanket that I love as a backdrop, it must look beautiful!

Rowan Witchcraft

I like to have candles and incense when I read but it's not necessary, I just think they set the mood nicely. I shuffle the deck until it feels ready then take a few moments to center myself and then I ask my question and get on with the reading. Once I'm done I shuffle the deck until it seems to be randomised again then put it away.

Tanga

Thanks everyone!

It looks like most of you guys do some kind of a shuffle or two or end with a small prayer. I was reading your prayer Tanga, i'm going to start doing that!

Have any of you had any spiritual activities that you know of from not saying a prayer? I'm just curious.

?... Spiritual activities no... what do you mean?
The only thing that happens to me if I haven't done ritual (and know that I should have because I'm not feeling grounded, peaceful, prepared to focus on someone elses story etc.)
is that I'm then: not clear headed, don't feel grounded, or peaceful, or prepared to focus on someone elses story etc - and then the reading is difficult and I botch the job...

I'm imagining that maybe you're thinking along the lines of having spirits/entities invade your space or such like??

Well - lets see. If I'm doing a spell/ritual I ALWAYS do all the preparatory rigmarole beforehand and after - because in my head - the space is not safe from interfering energy (which mostly might be me just thinking this, and hence it is so) without it.
But for a reading it's different - because I don't believe that this scenario is quite the same somehow... The strength comes all from within me, I just have to align myself - and so the barrier/protection is for me to be confident in my own mind, about what's going to come out of my mouth. See?
(whereas I suppose for a spell - there's more of an idea of impacting on the outer world with one's WILL, more variables included - and if one has involved another person - of the effects of psychomagick...).

...On days when I feel vulnerable (say I'm tired, or a bit under-the-weather etc. and therefore know that I'll generally be more affected by "everyone else" than usual) - but still have to read for someone...
(Interestingly), I may put more ritual jewellery on (those bits of jewellery that I consider linked directly to my spirituality and symbolize to me, self-preservation/protection).
- So in addition to the big old scarab ring and large Pentacle that I always wear - I might add, a skull bead mala/prayer beads, my magickal dragonfly ring or snake ring, and/or snake bracelet (the snake is a symbol of the masculine side of my Patron Deity - who is androgynous).
I may wear my blue goldstone power bracelet (which is basically a mini mala worn around the wrist) - because blue goldstone reflects the Egyptian Goddess Nuit - who protects by holding back chaos.

**Not all of these extra's will go on at once. :) I might look like a Yule/Xmas tree then... :joke:
It's usually - the one that most comes to mind when I'm thinking about it.

...and a couple of protective crystals in my pocket (Black Tourmaline and/or Apache's Tear).
Plus maybe before I leave the house, do a protection ritual over myself (My own modified LBRP - Lesser Banishing Ritual of the Pentagram) and then I'm good to go...

I love your prayer, I may use this!
Thankyou for sharing Tanga [emoji1]

I just read some of the link you posted, you created that prayer yourself?! Amazing! So may I have your permission to use your prayer? You probably posted expecting people may use it but I just want to ask first [emoji4]

Yes - I created that prayer myself - by putting bit's and pieces of other rituals that I do/invented into an "all-in-one" short and easy to remember statement - if you like.
And YES - you may use it.
Thankyou for the curtesy of asking me.

:) :heart:

Kalisti

If I'm reading at home I light a candle. I'll add incense and wear a stone if it's a spiritual working, but usually it's just a candle. For one draws, I don't even do that. I do my cleansing shuffles before shuffling for a read, so when I'm done reading I just thank the deck and put it away.

In public I like to be as discreet as possible, so the thanks usually gets skipped. I try to make it look like a weird game of solitaire :D

Grizabella

I light a cigarette----

No, wait! That was for something else, and I don't smoke anymore anyway. :p

I don't do any rituals or candles or prayers or anything like that. I shuffle, cut, put the cards out for the spread and then when finished, I gather up the cards and put them away.

Lately, though, since my arthritis in my hands has been bad, I've trimmed a lot of my decks to make them smaller so I can overhand shuffle them. To make sure each reading is done with very thoroughly randomized cards, I deal them out into four facedown piles before putting them away between readings. I've found that will really randomize the cards much better than my overhand shuffles.