"sanitizing" decks for public readings

Debra

Baroli said:
Haughty??? Nothing haughty about saying "I'm sorry, perhaps you need someone else for this job."

As in any profession, the interviewee (I don't care what the economy dictates), has the right to refuse work. It's called having standards.

Nothing haughty about implying that those who disagree have no standards ;)

I think part of the "fun" of tarot in a fun setting is the risk of getting a scary card.

The crowned one

I like post 16.

If the word "sanitize" bothers you..use a gentler one.

We can make a little fun with ourselves now and then yet still show respect to the subject at hand. Anyone ever read with a deck short a card or two accidentally? How did it go I wonder? I have, went great. Do we not always say the card needed will come up? The imagery leads to truth? Take a card out and your mind will, need be, find a replacement card... the cards are nothing without us. Yopu will be well aware of the missing cards and compensate easily while at the same time sparing the "sensibilities" ( LOL) of a group that my not often be exposed to tarot..a foot in the door, and potential clients. A few cards missing? So what. Your deck is edited..not your mind, words or ability. I would do it if it puts them at ease. Likely this is pretty racy for them as it is.

satinangel

Moderator Note

This is shaping into an interesting discussion. Please keep the discussion to the topic and not involve personalities. We are, remember Professional Readers and with that, WE get to make our own choices with what we do with our own business.

Sheri

I might choose a deck based on the audience, but I don't think I would take out any cards simply because I don't think it would matter as far as the readings go because the deck is going to adjust to the new configuration...in the same way that you can still use a deck that has cards missing.

That is, I don't need to see the 3 of Swords with a couple of other cards to see a divorce is looming. Would I sanitize my reading based on the audience? No.

That said, one of the reasons why I cut the keywords off the Thoth decks (the keywords don't seem to fit is another, and highlighting the artwork, too) is because once someone asks about their marriage and sees "Failure" they aren't going to hear another word that you say...so in a way, I guess I do sanitize decks... at least some decks :D

Whatever each of us does, one thing is for sure, it's the right thing for us. Vive la difference! Or something like that :D

:love: Sheri

theora

thanks all for your thoughtful responses, I *really* appreciate them all, even the haughty ones (heh). (and yes, as a matter of fact I *do* have standards... why do you think I care enough to come on here and ask?!) :p

I have committed to reading at the party on Friday and it would not be appropriate to back out at this time. since this is my very first job for the company, I don't know whether this is something they do for every event or if it has to do with the particular party.

I know this is a case of, you work for someone else and you do the job they tell you to do. I've been an independent (one way or another, from .commie to DJ to many other pursuits) for so long that I have become accustomed to the luxury of doing things as I see fit. here, that is clearly not going to be the case. (I was actually ok with it until I got to the hanged man and just thought WTF?!) but, I don't want to argue with the new boss. the smart way to go about that would be to first prove my awesomeness and then attempt to renegotiate! ;-)

also, I do agree that the tarot will get its point across one way or another (kind of how if you declaw a cat, it will become a biter). I've consulted the tarot itself and it doesn't seem to be worried or insulted. (and I do happen to have a deck with the Happy Squirrel on backorder so if I continue with this company I can try that.)

BTW I am also a mobile DJ with over a decade of experience, and I've played many many weddings (all by referral) over the years, so that's actually a great analogy for me... as well as a reminder that I can build up a business doing *real* readings (as I define that) if I just work at it. my wonderful partner designed me an awesome biz card, so that's a start.

I suppose on some level, I'm just gonna have to find my own way, no matter what. isn't that always the rub?! %-)

that said, this place is an awesome resource and I would love to hear further thoughts on this subject. thanks again for taking the time to respond to me!

nisaba

Umbrae said:
Umbrae hands each in attendance an overripe tomato. “Please feel free, but allow my say.”
Hooray, overripe tomato! My favourite! <bites deeply, gets seedy tomato juice dribbling down chin>

Umbrae said:
Reading at parties is a whole different gig than private readings, private consultations, reading for insight, reading for therapy, reading for whatever…

When you’re reading at a party – you are entertainment.
Absolutely. But I have yet to work a party where the host didn't provide a private space for the reading, and I have yet to find a guest who wasn't crucially interested in their own lives. That never prevented them thoroughly enjoying themselves before and after their own time of privacy with me.

Perhaps Australians are different <shrug>.

Umbrae said:
Yes you CAN give good, honest readings with…gosh…lenormands have like 36 cards? Old Petit Etteilla’s have 32 (both give great readings), majors only decks have 22, playing card decks (great for reading with), have 52. Gol dern right you can read with less than 78 cards!
'COURSE you can!

But think: would you drive a car with no brakes? Or one that only turned left and not right? Or one that only went in reverse? Nup, I want my car and my decks to do everything they're designed to do. In the case orf oracles, that means playhing with a full deck, whether that's eleven cards or three hundred and seventeen. In the case of Tarot, that's 78 for a traditional deck, and 22 for a Majors-only. I have even been known to strip decks with unillustrated pips down to a 42 card deck (does that number remind anyone else of something?) by keeping the aces and courts in with the Majors and setting aside the 2s through to 10s - but never for long, and there are some decks I'd never even dream of doing that to even the once.

Umbrae said:
Tarot reading for entertainment has different sets of rules.
Er ... that's a bit like saying "hypnosis for entertainment has different sets of rules" to hypnosis for psychotherapy or stop-smoking or whatever. Well, it might have by custom, but it shouldn't. You give people something *real*. And you give it to them in a situation that allows privacy (even in a venue without soundproofing, cakes and coffee, or nibblies and wine in the next room virtually guarantees a curtain of chat and laughter that prevents eavesdropping). And if necessary, you give them whatever they need to get back on an even keel, although most of my clients have a more even keel after a reading than before. Then they step through that magic door, and voila! Suddenly they're in party mode again, telling the next person cheerfully that you're fabulous.

Which, of course, we are if we are doing our stuff, and which we're not if we or our decks are compromised.

Here, Umbrae - have a tomato, one of my home-grown ones.

nisaba

Baroli said:
Having someone telling me to strip the deck of "bad cards" is not someone I want to work for. My choice, not the economy's, but mine.

* and apparently Nisaba's as well.
<grin> And as to economy, for the last few months I haven't had enough money to buy the groceries I'd like, let alone go out or buy treats like decks.

As long as I'm not actually homeless for want of cash, though, I'll turn down employment offers as an assassin, a thief or anything else I think is indefensible.

214red

i personally agree with baroli, i wouldnt sanitize the deck just as i wouldnt sanitize the readings, party or no party!

thorhammer

I'd find another deck, meself. See, I hate the idea of "sanitising" my deck but I'd also hate the idea of turning down lucrative work, as well as the opportunity to, as you say, "prove my awesomeness and renegotiate" :D So a compromise could be an Oracle deck (I'd say Lenormand but the Coffin, Scythe and Mice could cause some issues :bugeyed:).

My brain's dead just now or I'd suggest decks - Maybe the MerryDay? I was almost going to suggest the Blake Tarot if you have it, but I was just looking through it and waaaaay more of the cards are scary than usual :D The Osho Zen was a great suggestion, also the Connolly from memory sanitises those cards too.

Meh, I'd hate to see what this person thought of decks like the Maat, the Baphomet, the Lunatic . . .

\m/ Kat

Rev_Vesta

We have to remember when we choose to work for someone else, even if we do not agree with all of their rules, regulations etc......we must comply....especially as it is their reputation as the business owner......as an employee......we must do our best for the employer......

When we run our own business then we can make our own decisions.......

I suggest you talk to your employer ask if it is possible there could be some compromise if you were able to work with a deck that had name changes on the cards, gave images that were more pleasant in nature.....or a little more understanding at why those few cards were selected as a no-no....within readings.... was this a one off with this party or is this normal for all parties....? Maybe an understanding between you both would make it easier for you to work at the party......

John Holland's psychic Tarot......i know not 78 cards....

Medicine Woman Tarot......
Death card-Sunset
Hangman-Vision

Cards really pleasant imagery but has depth in reading.......

a couple of suggestions.......

Vesta