"Memorization is a technique that has fallen out of favor"--Le Fanu

Oink

And Gryffinson, the purpose does matter, that's true. I only wonder then why tarot rather than anything else?
Because it provides a wide array of convenient, portable art!

Regarding memorization: I'm an unashamed memorizer, because what is learning really other than committing fact to memory? My weapon of choice is Anki flashcards. :p I doubt there are many here who use ONLY learned information or ONLY personal epiphanies in regards to tarot or anything else - I'd imagine most of us mix in some of each.

GryffinSong

...I only wonder then why tarot rather than anything else?

Tarot, oracle decks, "junk" oracle ... doesn't matter to me ... all of them are powerful tools. I happen to particularly like tarot because there are a lot of choices of artwork, and because the general organization of archetypes and such is a good overall framework in which to explore. I also really enjoy using a tarot deck in combination with an oracle deck, which I've been exploring more often over the last year or so. I also have used dreamwork, inner child work, animal guide work, and much more.

As an artist I also have painted, done pottery, sculpted, quilted, worked with hot glass, and much, much more. I've never been one to stick with one modality for anything. :)

MissJo

I don't understand how anyone parroting keywords to a querent has the audacity to call themselves a tarot reader. They can read the LWB themselves;) :)

No one has ever said that memorizing keywords means relying totally on keywords. If you read my full post I said that twice. Memorizing helps, even when you learn that way you have to memorize something, do you not? How are you to learn if your don't remember what you've done with your studies?

:/

Manda

Even though I believe intuition is key to tarot reading, I do A LOT of studying and memorization, though not necessarily of keywords. Through trial and error I have found that the structure of tarot is needed (for me) to focus my intuition so it can really soar. As an example, I get absolutely nothing but joy in pretty pictures from most oracles, but I can read even the crappiest tarot to mostly good effect. I feel the structure I have learned and continue to study is the key to tapping into my intuition. Within the bounds of that structure I have more freedom, in an interesting paradox.

Not everyone has to read this way, but some people do much better this way, and it is as much a disservice to them to try to make them believe study is unnecessary as it is to a purely intuitive type of reader to force them to study. Although, I really don't understand why meditators or intuitive-only readers choose tarot, which is not meant to be an inciteful comment, just an out loud musing. The more tarot-ers the better!

caridwen

Is it state the obvious day?

No one has ever said that memorizing keywords means relying totally on keywords. If you read my full post I said that twice. Memorizing helps, even when you learn that way you have to memorize something, do you not? How are you to learn if your don't remember what you've done with your studies?

:/

In order to learn you have to have a memory. You have to remember things.

It's hardly profound. Memory is very helpful yes. I watched my grandmother who had an amazing mind suffer and fade away from Alzheimers so I am acutely aware of the profound effect losing one's memory has not only on oneself but on one's whole family.

I am aware that in order to learn something or gain knowledge of anything one needs the capacity to remember.

I'm glad you said it twice or I would have forgotten.:p

I have also worked with people with Learning Disabilities and seen how profoundly lack of long term memory can effect ones whole standard of life.

There are many different ways to learn tarot. However if we are simply harping on about how imperative it is to have a memory in order to learn something which is pretty obvious then I fail to see the point in mentioning it.

The ability to remember the thing you are holding is a deck and the things inside are cards is always a good beginning to a reading.

It is very useful to have a grounding in suits, elements and numerology. For the RWS I would recommend the Pictorial Key and for Thoth based decks, The Book of Thoth.

You are going to struggle however when the cards do not comply with the keywords as will happen. But as long as I ain't paying you for a reading, I don't care:p

caridwen

Even though I believe intuition is key to tarot reading, I do A LOT of studying and memorization, though not necessarily of keywords. Through trial and error I have found that the structure of tarot is needed (for me) to focus my intuition so it can really soar. As an example, I get absolutely nothing but joy in pretty pictures from most oracles, but I can read even the crappiest tarot to mostly good effect. I feel the structure I have learned and continue to study is the key to tapping into my intuition. Within the bounds of that structure I have more freedom, in an interesting paradox.

Not everyone has to read this way, but some people do much better this way, and it is as much a disservice to them to try to make them believe study is unnecessary as it is to a purely intuitive type of reader to force them to study. Although, I really don't understand why meditators or intuitive-only readers choose tarot, which is not meant to be an inciteful comment, just an out loud musing. The more tarot-ers the better!

I'm glad you've found a method that works. Good for you:)

I think the fact that the majority of Tarot Decks have pictures may be a good indication that they were not meant to be simply 78 cards of keywords. If one is simply, (I'm not saying you are) learning by rote a bunch of associations with each card, then what is the point of all those pretty pictures? Do you think it's to decorate the keywords so the card is not so plain or do you think there is another reason such as triggering associations from deep within the unconscious?

If it was as simple as learning a bunch of associations we would surely all be giving exactly the same meaning to every card which surely cannot be right.

I have found that my least effective readings are when I only see the supposed meaning behind the card. For example, Ace of Pentacles. The Pictorial Key says that the Ace means: "Perfect contentment, felicity, ecstasy; also speedy intelligence; gold." When was the last time you told someone that they were coming into gold or they were going to achieve "perfect contentment"?

With the fact that an Ace is a beginning and a Pentacle is associated with the material there are a whole bunch of meanings associated with this card depending on the querent and the other cards. It may actually mean something totally different because the image on the card has triggered something in either yourself, the reader or your querent.

Sometimes the strangest least plausible stuff is dredged up and you come out with things you have no idea about that the card is a springboard for.

Tarot is not an exact science and that is its wonder. I first began to actually read Tarot when I didn't scrabble for meanings and really listened to myself because the cards are a key to what is inside you and that is what the images are there for, to access something deep inside yourself.

I have handed my cards to people who have never touched a tarot deck in their lives and they have given me pretty good readings. Nothing mind blowing but a good basic reading none the less.

Rhinemaiden

When you loose your memory, you loose your past and history and by that you do not have a future.

Good point! I would phrase this to say:

"When you lose your memory(ies), you spend every day re-learning how to tie your shoes."

CornissMagorniss

I spent a lot of my childhood committing things to memory, because I was asked to, because it impressed the adults, but mostly because It brought me pleasure. Many of the texts, poems, and images I acquired then have remained with me and become part of my associations and thought processes. One of the reasons I was drawn to tarot was that it reminded me of all those systems and stories I learned then--often even including them.

Tarot is a remnant of the oral cultures of which we were all once part, of graphic and artistic traditions that were learned and absorbed. Whoever painted on the caves at Lascaux wasn't just improvising, nor was he copying. Why are the cards, and the good decks so damned fascinating? Knowledge of the forms enables improvisation; the "twist" of the individual artist plays on the imagination of the informed reader, who adds his own twist.

Le Fanu

I think the fact that the majority of Tarot Decks have pictures may be a good indication that they were not meant to be simply 78 cards of keywords. If one is simply, (I'm not saying you are) learning by rote a bunch of associations with each card, then what is the point of all those pretty pictures? Do you think it's to decorate the keywords so the card is not so plain or do you think there is another reason such as triggering associations from deep within the unconscious?
Perhaps. But if we take an Etteilla deck, there is a word upright and a word reversed which presumably are meanings. I think it's great that we all have these different approaches and that's what makes tarot so rich - and I find myself agreeing with much of Manda's take.

But I am fascinated by what the approach was historically and if you look at historic keywords (returning to Etteilla; e.g 10 of Batons is Obstacles, 4 of Cups is new acquaintances, 9 of Swords is "suspicion and mistrust") there is often very little in the image that relates to the given meaning. Thus not easy to remember. I think a lot of our notions of romantic gypsy style readings in the painted caravan would have revolved around a piecing together of unquestioned meaning. For example, trip + money + disappointment. The idea of images "triggering associations from deep within the unconscious" is very 20th Century and not something we question now. But I do. And early decks did have prominent words on them, like the Etteilla decks and those 17th Century English fortune telling cards. Of course, anyone could read them. Anyone can, in fact. Mme Lenormands cards were playing cards with meanings and astrological associations written on them. I'm sure you would asume - as I do - that she was a fairly proficient reader. At least proficient enough to be remembered. And she was probably responding to those keywords rather than what the image of 8 hearts or 7 clubs was triggering in her unconscious.

If somebody memorises poetry does that prevent them from subtly interpreting it or does the fact that they learn it by rote mean that it is always devoid of real meaning?

Anyone can memorise card meanings you say. Totally unaided, I'm not sure they can. I think you could argue that it is easier to "be intuitive" with scenic Minors. You could argue that it is easier just to look at the picture and respond. In fact, I think looking at a picture and responding to it is easier than memorising 78 meanings that don't always relate to the picture. I also don't think that memorising a meaning prevents someone from creating a reading around that. It doesn't have to be robotic.

It's just that looking at antique decks I feel that there was probably more memorising than there is now. I'm not saying it is better or worse. But I'm intrigued by different ways of reading and I don't think that the approach to reading cards in 2011 is any better than the approach to reading cards in 1870.

Aerin

I agree with Le Fanu.

I was also reminded of my grandmother reading tealeaves. The first issue seemed to be seeing the shapes in the leaves in the first place, before you even got to remember the traditional meaning of what you had seen and interpret it in the light of the question. Now, you don't have that problem with Tarot! However, from what I remember, the different shapes had a memorised meaning but it wasn't applied in the same way each time - it still had to be interpreted.

She did try and teach me but I didn't learn :/ I never got the finding the shapes bit :(