"Sealing" your deck

Ivy Rhiannon

I don't know if I actually "seal" my deck, but I guess I do something similar. I put a couple of cards on top of the deck when I guess I'm hopeful for something (I know this sounds superstitious, but...) like, for example, if I want some inspiration or creativity, I'll place the ace of wands at the top, as I'm putting the deck away.

As for "rituals," I know a lot of the myths that have grown up around the cards are just that, myths and urban legends, but I do find that putting decks in red bags (or red cloths) does seem to recharge them at least a little.

And I do something else, I don't know if other people do this; I put strands of my hair (left over from combing) in my tarot bags, and it seems to focus the deck and add to its potency as a reading tool.

very cool lokisen!

Kosjitov

I actually started sealing as per my last post.

One section of my life that is often neglected and unwelcome is dreaming when I sleep. Last night I sealed my newest deck with the High Priestess at the top and the Chariot at the bottom and left it near my bed. I had vivid dreams that were not only pleasant but I woke feeling refreshed- a rarity when I have any sort of dream.

Kinda fun :) I started thinking about what I wanted to "charge" the deck with when I opted to seal it. Picking out the right cards is like a puzzle to tease my brain with and it makes me think a bit longer about meanings and implications of each card. At the least, it's a good "game" for me since I'm newer to tarot.

nisaba

I was wondering about something my teacher said but I don't seem to see anywhere else...

She calls it "Sealing the cards" between uses. She pulls out the Sun and the Moon and puts them on top and bottom of the deck. she suggested I could also use the Fool and the World.

Do you feel the need to "seal the cards"?

Nope. Of course, it it makes your teacher feel better about her cards, then it has a function for her. That doesn't mean it's for everyone. I'm sure she'd confirm that.

Often we see people asking if they need to put th deck back in its original order after every reading - I think that is something of the same kind of thinking, that reararnging the cards somehow cleanses them of previous readings. In my experience, I find a brief shuffle does that quickly, efficiently and without the wasted time of seeking out specific cards.

Morwenna

All these posts have got me wondering. Maybe it would be fun to "seal" a deck or two and see what happens. But it strikes me that each of my decks might want a different card on top, or even on the bottom. Does anyone else here think this way?

Zechariah13

All these posts have got me wondering. Maybe it would be fun to "seal" a deck or two and see what happens. But it strikes me that each of my decks might want a different card on top, or even on the bottom. Does anyone else here think this way?

Well, im pretty sure my tarot of vampyres wont want to be sealed by the sun ;)

vision777

I like that! Sealing with the Sun and Moon!

I don't do anything like that. I just have to keep shuffling until there isn't a negative card on top before I put them away.

thats what i do

Kosjitov

Yup.

Been toying with it, getting good results :) Gilded deck likes being sealed with the Strength card on top, HP at bottom. Art Nouveau by LoS likes HP at top, Chariot at bottom. Going to start going through the others as I play with them!