"Real" Art or "Fake?"

Debra

You're right, the links you provided do illustrate the "uncanny valley" concept quite well, and certainly explains some of discomfort some people feel. .

Well, I found them by googling images for the phrase: "Bad poser art"

Warning: If you try this, have a lil' drinkie in hand, or at least a couple of aspirin and a cool compress for your eyes.

cirom

Personally I haven't seen any Poser art I am truly convinced by, it almost seems that the software engineers who produced it forgot to include eye lids, but instead included a 10% bigger than human default setting for eyeballs... but for full disclosure, I couldn't do any better, I simply can't get to grips with even the easiest of 3D side of things.... I wish I could, but my poor brain just doesn't think in those parameters. I think its age....

Debra

Interesting how this "real/fake" question plays out in tarot.

Tarot is supposed to engage the imagination and facilitate intuition, right? So what styles of art do that better? A style that makes things look "real," almost "photographic"? Or something that is almost totally abstract? (For example, the Margarete Petersen deck.) Or, where on the spectrum in between (if there is a spectrum)?

For me, "too realistic" doesn't do it, partly because I don't like "too realistic" art in general unless it's actual photography and even then, I tend to prefer some manipulation to keep my interest (for example, printed in black and white rather than color). This is nothing to do with the "quality" itself.

(on the uncanny valley, and speaking of age--I've seen the "uncanny valley" in real life with face-lifts and other cosmetic face work that is so extreme it makes the person look too smooth, immobile, and somehow "plastic." Or too much botox. There's that "not quite real" impression, but different than just from face makeup.)

MissJo

One, I wouldn't quite consider CGI "fake" art. Fake art, to me, is someone tracing or blatantly stealing a piece of artwork and calling it their own.

With collages, what if you painstakingly drew/photographed all these pieces to painstakingly put them together in a way that looks appeasing? Or what if you collaborated with great artists (AKA: got their permission) to make the collage? That's in no way fake art.

I never got why some traditional artists get so defensive about digital art. It's only a different brand, and I don't think any should look down on another until they took a shot at drawing with a tablet in Photoshop or SAI. You think that's easy? It isn't, and this is coming from a mostly traditional artist (when it comes to drawings).

CGI in Tarot?
I'm picky, I mostly think CGI in Tarot decks look bad... but there are decks out there that pull it off spectacularly. The Archeon, for example, is a beautiful CGI deck.

Barleywine

Fake art, to me, is someone tracing or blatantly stealing a piece of artwork and calling it their own.

I'd be sorely tempted to include neon paintings of Elvis on velvet sold in mall parking lots in that category :D