"RWS-inspired"

GlitterNova

This might be an odd question, so bare with me. I was recently reading a thread about the Wild Unknown, and someone mentioned that that deck was not based on the RWS. This struck me as odd since I've always seen clear RWS influences in it (the 3 of Swords, for instance). My question is: how do we define what is RWS-based or inspired? Can we say that an abstract deck like the WU is not inspired by it? And as an extention of that question, how many decks out there are truly 'original' in that they're not based on the RWS/Thoth/TdM? I'd love to hear your opinions.

Spectre Made Flesh

I'm not completely familiar with the Wild Unknown Tarot, but from searching for an image of its 3 of swords, I'd agree that the influence there looks rather blatant. Maybe it's a pedantic issue of there being a difference between "based on" and "inspired by"?

As for decks that are truly 'original' and not based on RWS/Thoth/TDM, I'd say certainly the Royo Dark, and others which use pre-existing art for the cards. Although even in the case of the Royo Dark, in putting the deck together and choosing appropriate images for the cards, there was thought put into vaguely making them meet RWS type ideas in terms of typical keywords associated with them - for instance, the 3 of swords in the Royo Dark, although not showing a heart with swords through it, shows a woman looking distressed with a tear down her cheek.

rwcarter

When I think of "RWS-inspired" I think of decks with scenic Minors. TdMs have illustrated Minors, and the Thoth Minors have been called "moody".

Lil Red

Doesn't the Wild Unknown has some cards that are based on Thoth like the 3 of wands.

tarotbear

There is not much you can do with a 'heart with 3 Swords stabbed through it' !

I think we are dissecting 'apples & oranges' here. Whether it's 'based', or 'inspired', or a 'clone' - they all mean there is a noticeable degree of familiar imagery.... but isn't that what archetype means, BTW - 'the original of which everything else is a copy' ...? Will there be a rule: If you copy all 78 cards then it's a 'clone'; 39 cards then it's 'based on', 4 cards or less then it's 'inspired'? Kinda nit-picky, wouldn't you say? :bugeyed:

I refer to my deck as an 'RWS clone.' :joke:

... and I'm proud of it! :thumbsup: