"My deck hates me" and such ideas

Tara2007

sleepingcat said:
The skeptic thread threw me off and punted me into a tangent.

I have friends who belive their decks hate them, and project negativity intentionally to them. I also have friends who fear tarot readings because decks hate them and intentionally project more negativity.

I assure them my deck is as sweet as a kitten, and I explain to them the intent I put into the deck was a friendly council seeing as we hear "the brutal truth" enough that I wasnt intrested.

I usually get postive readings for them, all but one person I've broken trends of negative cards showing up.

I dont cheat or anything, I just take people used to getting higher numbered swords and the darker majors and give them pents and wands (lots of pents and wands o.0;).

Now onto the point of this thread:

What's everyone's take on decks "hating"?

I personally dont belive it's possable, I think it's all a matter of projection. If you expect a negative reading, you'll get one unless the reader descides otherwise, then it's a battle of wills maybe? o.0;

But I'm very instrested to hear about other people's expierences and opnions.

I just wrote something in the deenabling thread that goes along with this. It's my Vargo Gothic Tarot deck. I don't think it "hates" me, but there is something about it that it just likes to point out all the negatives to me. I can see roses blooming that day and this deck will remind me of all the thorns! I use this deck sparingly!

Love & Light

room

Tara2007 said:
I can see roses blooming that day and this deck will remind me of all the thorns!

Clue in! The deck wants you take numerous photos of it with roses.

It's a subtle message, but I dare you to get the deck some roses and take some glam shots of the cards with the roses and see what happens.

Shall we do a little experiment with empirical evidence? Everybody who has decks that hate them, get some flowers and greenery and take glamour shots of your cards and see what happens.

Umbrae

Tara2007 said:
It's my Vargo Gothic Tarot deck. I don't think it "hates" me, but there is something about it that it just likes to point out all the negatives to me. I can see roses blooming that day and this deck will remind me of all the thorns! I use this deck sparingly!

Love & Light
Perhaps - it's how you interact with the imagery.

It’s a common problem with dark decks; we confuse the deck with the message.

In other words, we infuse (project) the message with darkness.

room

I had a few problems integrating the Crystal Tarot into my home.

Two of my normally favourite cards were kicking up quite a fuss. The Queen of Swords was being very snooty and royal, so I sent her for a scamper in the Sansevieria trifasciata and she even starting dusting the plant. Perhaps she just needed a job?

The Hermit was being very creepy and lurking about unhappily, and when I left the sun porch door open one day I found him hanging about the Poinsettia and enjoying the sunny solitude near the cacti. I understand that several plants from the Euphorbiaceae family are attractive to Hermit, because many plants in this family ooze a milky sap.

Houseplants could be the answer for YOUR hateful deck. You just never know, and it would seem a sensible alternative for apartment or flat dwellers.

TheOld

perhaps a better question can be

Does a part of me hates me ?

firemaiden

EnriqueEnriquez said:
But if we follow the yellow path (after all, Yellow is tarot's color for enlightenment!) we end up discovering that beyond the illusion of a superior intelligence posed on us by Tarot, we will find the true "man behind the curtain": ourselves.

How very beautifully you put this.

Satori

Umbrae said:
In other words, we infuse (project) the message with darkness.

So true.
I got rid of all of my vampire decks because of this. I just felt that I could not separate out the deck from the message.

Old_Hippy_Chick

Hello everyone

TheOld said:
perhaps a better question can be

Does a part of me hates me ?

That's an excellent question idea for me to use on myself. Good thought provoking question,TheOld.

I originally started Tarot study with the Rider-Waite. And at the risk of sounding like a real sissy..some of the card meanings(card definitions contained in books that focus on THAT deck) scare the doodoo out of me,or depress the heck out of me. Or tick me off.

I've had that deck for several years and there's been many times I've thought it just flat out disliked me. The answers I get from the Rider-Waite are at best civilly firm. However,I was a brave little trooper and kept using that deck because I came to the conclusion that because it often hurts that's because it's reflecting issues I REALLY need to work on.

And I've noticed too that even though the answers it provides are often harsh, if I follow the advice,I manage to gain a little bit more insight..and slowly as my anxiety has lessened, the deck seems to be getting a bit more friendly.

So yeah I'm guilty of personifying my decks. The Rider-Waite seems to have a personality reminiscent of a grade school teacher I had..heh..excellent Teacher,great person,but hardly warm and fuzzy.

Now on the other hand..there's my lovely,pretty,cuddly Zerner/Farber deck.
Tons of soothing purple,pretty,lacy designs..gosh I just love that darn thing. The energy from that deck (whether it's another aspect of me,or some higher form of power that's beyond me) is great when I'm in a totally stressed out mood and just want a calming experience.

So yeah I agree with TheOld that the better question is "what do I hate about me"
hmmmm.. whip out the Rider-Waite.

"What do I like about me?"hmmmm... whip out the Zerner/Farber.

The freaky thing is that there are particular cards from BOTH decks that seem to toss themselves at me whenever I shuffle..but with contrasting "attitudes". You know,like the difference between "focus on this,dear one" and "FOCUS ON THIS YOU BIG DUMMY" ;)
Have a Great Day,
Hippy

prudence

room said:
I had a few problems integrating the Crystal Tarot into my home.

Two of my normally favourite cards were kicking up quite a fuss. The Queen of Swords was being very snooty and royal, so I sent her for a scamper in the Sansevieria trifasciata and she even starting dusting the plant. Perhaps she just needed a job?

The Hermit was being very creepy and lurking about unhappily, and when I left the sun porch door open one day I found him hanging about the Poinsettia and enjoying the sunny solitude near the cacti. I understand that several plants from the Euphorbiaceae family are attractive to Hermit, because many plants in this family ooze a milky sap.

Houseplants could be the answer for YOUR hateful deck. You just never know, and it would seem a sensible alternative for apartment or flat dwellers.
Room, you are really cracking me up.:D Those glamour shots are funny! I'd love to see some of the Lunatic deck. Which plants would they enjoy posing with?

TheOld

Old_Hippy_Chick said:
I came to the conclusion that because it often hurts that's because it's reflecting issues I REALLY need to work on.
that's an interesting truth, i also agree with that.
i like the devil of my last deck (Archeon) because i dislike it in some way, i wouldn't like to be like this guy in fact ;-)
paradox paradox hehe