the symbolon deck--OVERVIEW

Ravenswing

merri said:
Steve; I'm gonna have a go at these exercises over the weekend. I like the idea of the energies being able to be distinguished in this way into 3 distinct categories ...it's an interesting concept to play about with. Would you then apply this way of thinking to the interpretative value you'd place on the cards? e.g. as to whether a more passive or active role/influence was being called for? ..also, what significance would you attach to a reading which was dominated by one particular energy? (ok, not sure how to articulate exactly what I'm trying to ask here ..but basically ...how would you apply the principle?).

i'm gonna have a go at these questions over the weekend. LOL

LVX
steve

Ravenswing

catch a falling star...

merri (and everyone else)--

i just woke up with this one (this deck has got me working overtime!!) :

the two planetary considerations are the sign a planet falls in and the house a planet falls in. this gives us three factors: the planet, its sign and its house. if we take the cards representing these three, we can set them on your star.

the planet card at the top of the upright triangle, its sign on the left bottom, its house on the bottom right ( :confused: i don't know that it matters which side these two cards are on--either way'll give you a star... c'mon guys, it's early and i'm having my first cup of coffee :cool: )

generate the other triangle and voila-- you have a star for the planet. i think this'll be a 'complete' look at each planet.

for example: venus in sagittarius/ fourth house

planet triangle (apex up)

top card-- the lover
bottom left-- the preacher
bottom right-- the mother

derived triangle (apex down)

top left-- matter and spirit
top right-- the two faces of eve
bottom card-- mnemosyne

you gotta love this deck :D

LVX
steve

truthsayer

you guys have left me in the dust! i know this deck can't be as difficult as i'm making it. i think i just need to sit on the porch and do some real simple basic exercises before i try to keep up w/ the big dogs!

Kaz

hey truth, don't worry, i am way behind as well, i do read and think about it but at my own pace, i am it the process of moving in short time and i go on vacation, so too much in too short time.

kaz

merri

hey Truth and Kaz, I don't think it's you guys getting left behind ..I think maybe it's just Steve and I getting a little ahead of ourselves! :confused: :D

I'd really love to do some simple basic 'getting to know the deck' type exercises on the card images themselves. But I've never actually studied a deck with other people before, so not sure quite where to start, or what type of exercises to do ..any suggestions Truthsayer? Steve what do you think? ...I'd love to work with the images a little ...symbolism, interpretation, asssociations, people's subjective viewpoints, etc.

Steve, great idea for a comprehensive overview of any given planet's influence in the birth chart, but how do you get the card for the houses? (..do the archetypes correspond to the houses too?)

*Wishing everyone a GREAT weekend!!!* :)

Ravenswing

new thread(s)?

merri--

yes, use an archetype for the houses-- the Warrior for first house, the Lover for second house...

for the sake of clarity--

perhaps we should start a new thread that deals with the cards themselves one at a time. we can use this thread for spread and 'theory'. keep us from getting too tangled :D

in fact, what if we start three new threads-- one for the archetypes, one for the solar/lunar cards and one for the remaining ones?

this way we can follow the guidelines of the lwb; it might keep everything from getting too 'crowded'. sound like a plan??

LVX
steve

Kaz

yep, and if you would have a look through the messages here, i can move them to anothere thread if needed :)

i think i will print this all out and that the deck with me on vacation.

kaz

truthsayer

i'm game for anything that simplifies this deck. i feels sure i can take the deck and do an astrology chart but as far as understanding what i'm interpreting in context of the symbolon i don't. i've done astro charts w/ tarot. i've also got the mythic astrology deck. astrology isn't a stranger to me. i've studied it off and on for around 17 years. i think i'm somehow confusing what i know about astrology, archetypes and tarot against the symbolon system. i've read the LWB but it's like i don't retain what it says. i usually pick up on divination systems quickly since i've been using divination since i was a child.

i like the idea of seperating the different concepts into different threads. i think i could follow what's going on better. maybe an advanced one for steve and merri and a kindergarten one for kaz and me. ;) i think those spreads y'all used earlier in this thread must of shorted out a few of my circuits. but i do want to learn this. i doubt a system that has me this stumped will ever bore me like so many systems end of doing.

Kaz

lol, truth, yea we go and play in kindergarten :)
don't give up on it.
i am almost sure the book i have, it came with the deck, would help you with this.
it's very clear what the thing is about, and there is even a special thing i don't understand for astrology stuff with the cards.
i don't know much about astrology, just some basics, very basic. do you read german, then i'll scan them archetypes pages for you and email them.
i must admit that translating from 3rd to 2nd language is hard to do :-(

kaz

truthsayer

thanks for the offer kaz but i only read and speak a very little spanish. wish i did know german. if you ever read any of the book you'd like to share with us that would be enough. the thought of translating a second language to a third or whatever makes me feel cross-eyed!