Golden Tarot

retrokat

I can tell you it's real at least...

Hi all,

I physically HAVE one copy myself, one of the handful of "Proofs" that are really just preliminary copies of the first run taken straight off the press and sent by airmail rather than sea. I wasn't going to say anything here until I got a release date from USGS, as I've said so many times I feel bad about it being put back repeatedly.

I know as a fact that the first run of decks were supposed to land in the US about a month ago, and had to get through Customs.

My primary contact there has been on vacation since then, and as Jeannette said, many of the other senior staff have been at the annual Trade Fairs.

Before my contact went away, though, she said that the first edition was selling so fast from the first trade fair of the year that a second printing was already scheduled. So Jeannette's right about pre-orders. If the first run disappears on pre-orders, there may be a wait for the second run as it's got a long way to travel by sea.

Perhaps that's another reason for USGS delaying the release, if the first run wasn't sufficient to fill orders and the second run's already on it's way? I don't know for sure, though.

The only thing that I can tell you for sure is that it's real, and that it looks good. It's a really tactile package. The book is small enough to fit in the box, but they fitted quite a lot of what I wrote and I certainly wouldn't call it a booklet. It's 198 pages, and DOES include all the referencing of the original artworks - so you can see where I got all the bits of the pictures from, and even where those artworks are today.

The box is lovely. Quite solid, and very in keeping with the deck. USGS did the box and book designs and I think they've done a really good job.

My only problem is that everyone will want to keep the deck in the cool box, so no-one will want to buy the bags I've been making :)

My partner suggested I should take a photo of myself with the deck to prove it exists, but I don't reckon that's going to make any of those of you who've been waiting so patiently feel any better that you still don't have your OWN copy. Sorry!

retrokat

PS Pics of the box etc on my site

Jeanette hasn't been able to update the pics of the Golden deck and box due to changes on her site being held up, but if you want to see the deck and box as they'll look on release, visit my site goldentarot.com.

I much prefer the final dark blue design for the book & box to the original reddish-brown that appeared in their catalog over a year ago.

Jeannette

I finally got a brief update from my own contact at USG. The following quote is all the news that was provided:

"Apparently the shipment from China has been delayed again and I think it
is now expected here by the end of the month. "

So... late February? Keep your fingers crossed.

-- Jeannette
Tarot Garden

Summerdream

Jeannette said:
I finally got a brief update from my own contact at USG. The following quote is all the news that was provided:

"Apparently the shipment from China has been delayed again and I think it
is now expected here by the end of the month. "

So... late February? Keep your fingers crossed.

-- Jeannette
Tarot Garden

I'll keep my fingers crossed. I am getting soooo excited to have this deck in my hands!!!!

Momof3girls:)

Cerulean

I've waited this long

And so in another month, it will be all so wonderful.

Best wishes fellow sighers.....ahemmmm

Mari H.

LadyMedusa

At the beginning of the year I came to a realization.
I bought way to many decks last year. So many that I couldn't take enough time (as if there is ever really enough time) to get to know them as they arrived.

So I put myself on restriction. No more new decks untill I spend some quality time with each of the ones I have. Of course I did exempt Kats deck from the restriction. After all I placed the order before my self imposed buying ban. ( A legitimate technicality. Fellow Tarotholics back me up on this PLEASE!)

I did however decide that I may not open the package untill I have gotten comfortable with at least 20 of decks I already have. At the time of this post I am on #8.

This decision has made the waiting easier to deal with for now. I just keep reminding my self that waiting to open it up is much easier this way, compared with how tempting it will be when the deck actually arrives.

LadyMedusa

Mystic Zyl

I have got t have this deck! I love the Queen of Wands!!! Golden Tarot will probably be aeclectic's #1 deck for 2004.

Aure

I love the Queen of Wands too!!! And that's the card I usually check because for some reason I kind of identify myself with that card. I also check King of Swords (my husband) and see if death and devil cards look nice or stupid ;)

I am SO going to order this deck!! I've already started to break the idea to my husband...

retrokat

Queen of Wands is my Significator, so when I designed the card it was very personal. Perhaps it's because this card usually has a black cat, or just because most interpretations of the card suit me pretty well. It's the first card I hunt for when I look at a deck.

I just HAD to use Charonton's sultry red-haired Madonna. It's one of the few French elements in the deck, painted in the 1450's - "International Gothic" style unlike most of the deck, which is Italian and early Renaissance. So no wonder she stands out ;)

I was so pleased when US Games decided to put her on the box. Originally they had one of my less favourite cards, a rather stern looking Ace/archangel on the old brown-box design that appeared in their catalogue last year. I said as politely as I could that I didn't really like the original box design, and then the next version I saw was what's being released - with Queen of Wands on the front, King of Coins on the back and the Fool on the side. The book cover has the Queen of Cups. They look so great. I get to look at my Significator even when the deck's in the box.

I was worried that it wouldn't live up to expectations but now I've got one, the whole package is just so nice. A visitor to my home saw my "Proof" deck a few days ago and said it 'looks like an heirloom, it looks so precious'. She hadn't previously had any interest in tarot, but ended up saying she wanted to buy copies for all her female friends as well as herself. So hopefully you'll all be happy with it too - if it EVER gets released, that is! (Just joking... if I have one real copy there MUST be a shipping container somewhere in the world with thousands more in it)

You guys are SO sweet to be so supportive when it's been delayed again and again. I emailed US Games again, will certainly post any news as soon as I hear it.

Aure

Now I'm worried... The online bookstore I was planning to get the Golden Tarot from had changed the status on it suddenly from 'not yet published' to 'not available anymore'... :(

I sent an inquiry stating that the info I got from the author was that the product was in print and would probably be released soon.

I wonder what has happened... Has the first edition been sold out already? Won't they ship it to Finland? :eek: :confused:

My husband is finally saying 'yes' to me ordering it but what if it is unavailable!