The Gothic Tarot by Vargo – Eight of Wands

WolfyJames

I admit that this is one of the card that I don't get, but here goes...

A woman, wearing a white dress, stands in a passage (two arches), holding a wand in her left hand. Three wands are on the left and four on the right. Her right hand is raised and she seems to be throwing a spell at us, blocking the path.

Umbrae

The Eight of Wands gives me a feeling that the apparition is moving towards us…with speed.

So rather than having a bunch of wands in the air to signify ‘whatever’, here we have a ghost with the eighth wand coming towards us…

To me – sure this can relate to the usual meaning of quickness. But it speaks of something coming to us with the missing piece. However, we will have to face the ghost who bears it.

Alissa

The first time I saw this card, it gave me a spook.

I remember thinking, in tandem with the traditional 8 wands meaning, "Man if that thing's coming after me that fast, I am RUNNING~!"

So perhaps, the need to stand one's ground will also be a message that crops up around this card when I read, eh?

The tilt of the archways created the visual illusion of real vertigo the first time I saw it - now, it still works a little bit. So feeling off-balance, or taken off guard by the swiftness of the changes around you, those concepts would apply for my own readings in this card.

She's reaching for you, though. To me, it looks like that raised hand is ready to come down in a VERY icy cold grip on one's shoulder. Hmmm, does this suggest a sudden stop, if the current events ever "Catch up" to normal?

WolfyJames

Alissa said:
The tilt of the archways created the visual illusion of real vertigo the first time I saw it - now, it still works a little bit. So feeling off-balance, or taken off guard by the swiftness of the changes around you, those concepts would apply for my own readings in this card.

I've never noticed that before (maybe because I don't have vertigo), but now that you talk about it, I took a look at it and felt it. Cool!

Kittaine

The archways to me symbolize a gateway between two possibilities. This creepy ghost looks like she has made a quick decision and exited one possibility to swifly enter another.

mercenary30

Eight of Wands

An arched hallway is filled with fog and floating down the corridor is a ghostly form holding a wand in her left hand. Her right arm is reaching up and her hand is stretched out in an almost threatening manner as if casting a hex or spell. Seven other wands are on either side but in front of her; three on her right and four on her left. Her spectral gown is less than concealing and her mouth is open as if she is wailing or speaking a warning.

“Turn back! You cannot continue this path.”
But down this hallway are the answers I seek, do not hinder me spirit.
“Turn back! You will not find answers here, only death.”
Great knowledge is worth great risk, and I must continue forward.
“Turn back! Each step you take wakens the guardian further, you will not survive.”
I must find….
“The fog precedes him; it is almost too late for you! Turn and flee while your path to escape is still open.”
But……..
“Go with all haste, or spend eternity with me foolish mortal!”

annik

The posture of that ghost makes me think that she may summoning somebody (us perhaps) from slumber. Or she is manipulating the free wands?

I feel a certain struggle with that card. We can not know what is behind her and she is facing us. Maybe everything is played with our side?

Whoever wins, it will probably feel safer (and more in balance), no more treatened.

Disa

My first impressions are that she is racing towards us with great speed. She seems to be emerging from a corridor where she is comfortable, but her expression looks as though she is surprised (or maybe a bit aggitated) to see someone here. Perhaps there is something in the corridor behind her that we need to see. Her outstretched hand looks as though she is trying to grab us and take us in.