Thoth Study Group - Three of Wands

CreativeFire

On to the 3 of Wands - "Virtue"

From Akron - Banzhaf's Handbook to the cards:
The yellow-orange background of the card underlines the light-filled act of becoming, and shows the opening lotus blossom in a liquid of fiery radiance. This emphasizes the mutual fertilisation of heavenly and earthly powers.

Some food for thought there - I love the phrase "in a liquid of fiery radiance"! :)

From my notes from the 78 Week Study:
The Thoth 3 of Wands shows 3 wands with blossuming lotus flowers at the top of each one. They are all in the same direction but overlapping each other. The colours on the card are orange, red and yellows.

After the Thoth 2 of Wands (Dominion), where it seemed that they were going in two different directions and needed to focus on the same direction to progress. The 3 of Wands shows that they are all now focussed in the same direction and progress is shown in the blossoming lotuses. Also behind the lotus wands there are flames of fire, which connects to the creative energy behind the wands which is now being used together in harmony to begin to thrive and grow in a positive way.

The name of the card is "Virtue" which I do not quite get, but can mean goodness, integrity, uprightness which does make a little more sense to me.

I look forward to reading others impressions on this card.

CreativeFire

Centaur

CreativeFire said:
After the Thoth 2 of Wands (Dominion), where it seemed that they were going in two different directions and needed to focus on the same direction to progress. The 3 of Wands shows that they are all now focussed in the same direction and progress is shown in the blossoming lotuses. Also behind the lotus wands there are flames of fire, which connects to the creative energy behind the wands which is now being used together in harmony to begin to thrive and grow in a positive way.

I really like what you say here. It makes total sense to me. I like the idea of the wands as having gained focus after the somewhat conflicting directions hinted at in the 2 of Wands. I like the idea of the flames of fire behind the wands, as somehow powering this new focus.

CreativeFire said:
The name of the card is "Virtue" which I do not quite get, but can mean goodness, integrity, uprightness which does make a little more sense to me.

I too find the use of the word 'Virtue' to be rather puzzling. I am thinking that perhaps a better word to use for this card would have been 'Direction'. But who the hell am I to argue with Crowley and Harris? LOL.

In his book Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot, Duquette writes that Harris presents 'three gold and amber lotus wands trimmed in scarlet and set upon an orange background of brilliant flames. The effect is one, not only of brilliance, but of immense heat. It represents the primal solar energy that first penetrates the soil in spring to awaken seeds that have slumbered all winter'. Again, this would make sense in the context of our discussion of the 2 of Wands. It was argued that the 3 of Wands would represent the moment before energy would be applied to become physicality. Am I making any sense? LOL. So... I would think that the 3 of Wands would represent the Sun as it rises and gives life and energy to the various flowers, shrubs, and crops, etc. I am also thinking that the direction hinted at by CreativeFire could point to the direction of the Sun as it finally finds focus, and rises, to bring forth new life. I am thinking of the Winter as it gives way to Spring. Direction. And Growth.

In line with this idea of thought, is Ziegler, in his book Tarot: Mirrors of the Soul; 'The 3 of Wands bears flowers that are just opening. Their unfolding is the result of their inner awakening. Body, mind, and soul are in harmony. This situation gives birth to the crystalization of an integrity that knows no spurious compromise. Personal energy is perceived and accepted and not submissively handed over to others. Depsite external dynamic forces, the centre remainds untouched and clear'. So, here we have again this idea of direction, and growth.

CreativeFire

Re: Re: Thoth Study Group - Three of Wands

Centaur said:
In his book Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot, Duquette writes that Harris presents 'three gold and amber lotus wands trimmed in scarlet and set upon an orange background of brilliant flames. The effect is one, not only of brilliance, but of immense heat. It represents the primal solar energy that first penetrates the soil in spring to awaken seeds that have slumbered all winter'.

I like this - yes, Spring - that makes sense to me. :)

In line with this idea of thought, is Ziegler, in his book Tarot: Mirrors of the Soul; 'The 3 of Wands bears flowers that are just opening. Their unfolding is the result of their inner awakening. Body, mind, and soul are in harmony.

ah ha! 3 Wands - Mind, Body, Soul in harmony. Working together. (going to write that one in my journal!).

So, here we have again this idea of direction, and growth.

I too find the use of the word 'Virtue' to be rather puzzling. I am thinking that perhaps a better word to use for this card would have been 'Direction'. But who the hell am I to argue with Crowley and Harris? LOL.
I agree Centaur, 'Direction' would make more sense. LOL

CreativeFire

TheoMo

Re: Re: Thoth Study Group - Three of Wands

Centaur said:
In his book Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot, Duquette writes that Harris presents 'three gold and amber lotus wands trimmed in scarlet and set upon an orange background of brilliant flames. The effect is one, not only of brilliance, but of immense heat. It represents the primal solar energy that first penetrates the soil in spring to awaken seeds that have slumbered all winter'.

The color scheme (orange yellows) really gives off a strong heat, one that never burns but definitely nurtures, perhaps like an incubator? You can tell the energy behind the card is really intense, but it is an energy that is necessary to produce growth.

The effect of the lotuses blossoming is really powerful -- there is a sense in this card that things are in motion, that there is light at the end of the tunnel. After all, blossoming flowers in the end open up and unfurl their beauty to the world.

People have been talking abou the word "virtue" and the thing that comes to mind for me is perhaps advice for the querent when receiving this card. The message, perhaps, is that things are in motion, stay on track, be patient (isn't patience the noblest virtue? ha!). But other than that I can't think of how the term "virtue" relates to this card.

Centaur

Re: Re: Re: Thoth Study Group - Three of Wands

TheoMo said:
The color scheme (orange yellows) really gives off a strong heat, one that never burns but definitely nurtures, perhaps like an incubator? You can tell the energy behind the card is really intense, but it is an energy that is necessary to produce growth.

I really like the idea of the image as almost like an incubator. I can see what you mean when you say that the heat is more a nurturing heat. The flames look almost friendly, in comparison to the fierce blaze of the Ace of Wands.

Moonbow

The first thing that strikes me about this card is the colour and heat coming from it. But I too was puzzled by the keyword, I then remembered something that CreativeFire wrote:

QUOTE: After the Thoth 2 of Wands (Dominion), where it seemed that they were going in two different directions and needed to focus on the same direction to progress. The 3 of Wands shows that they are all now focussed in the same direction and progress is shown in the blossoming lotuses. QUOTE

According to my dictionary, one of the meanings of virtue is "conforming to a standard of right" so perhaps with all three wands in unison the keyword is not so difficult to relate to.

I also notice that in the background of the two of Wands the heat/fire has been splintered into small particles and therefore the Wands dominate. The three of Wands shows a solid background colour of orange and red, and the colours and flames flow "in a liquid of fiery radiance" (yes I love that phrase too!)

CreativeFire

Moonbow* said:
According to my dictionary, one of the meanings of virtue is "conforming to a standard of right" so perhaps with all three wands in unison the keyword is not so difficult to relate to.

Hi Moonbow* - great to see you joining in :) Thanks for posting the quote of "conforming to a standard of right" - does help me make a lot more sense of the key word 'virtue' after reading that!!

CreativeFire

Centaur

Moonbow* said:
I also notice that in the background of the two of Wands the heat/fire has been splintered into small particles and therefore the Wands dominate. The three of Wands shows a solid background colour of orange and red, and the colours and flames flow "in a liquid of fiery radiance" (yes I love that phrase too!)

Interesting observation. Almost as though they the fire has in some way come together for a common purpose or to establish some sense of completeness?

gyntista

CreativeFire said:
On to the 3 of Wands - "Virtue"

From Akron - Banzhaf's Handbook to the cards:
The yellow-orange background of the card underlines the light-filled act of becoming, and shows the opening lotus blossom in a liquid of fiery radiance. This emphasizes the mutual fertilisation of heavenly and earthly powers.

Some food for thought there - I love the phrase "in a liquid of fiery radiance"! :)

What do you think it means?

Also, I see you have not mentioned what Crowley wrote about this card, except for noting that you did not get "Virtue". Is there a reason for focusing attention other than on Crowley's comments? Certainly that would be the proper place to begin---Crowley's comments in "Book of Thoth"---wouldn't it?

CreativeFire said:

I think you may get further along in understanding what Crowley meant in the card by looking up the meaning of the Latin word "virtus".

This is not just a discussion of elemental energy, but also a discussion of the development of human character. In other words, it is a moral examination of the purpose and function of creation, as we should expect from a Qabalistic model.