books and decks

Scion

Aeon, do you mean Magical Tarot of the Golden Dawn?

I have it sitting on my to-be-read pile, though I've dipped into it with a few specific questions... It's HUGE. It seems meaty, and a lot of time is spent (and rightfully so) connecting every card individually to the GD order progression. No card hgets short shirft, and I have yet tro read a section without discovering a little fresh tidbit.

As for the purchase question, it's only $29 here, so for you it should be about 15 quid. If that's not that case, maybe I can order it and ship it to you. I think you'll get more out of it than most folks. It's a great chunky read. :thumbsup:

Aeon418

Scion said:
Aeon, do you mean Magical Tarot of the Golden Dawn?
Yes, that's the one. ;)

Thanks for your input, Scion. You've made me reconsider how much I'm prepared to spend on this book. Don't get me wrong, I'm certainly not a spendthrift when it come to books. But £29.99 for a paperback is a lot. I've picked up good quality hardbacks for far less.

I guess I'm still trying to get over my huge disappointment with Michael Bertiaux's, Voudon Gnostic Workbook. :( The size of a telephone directory, and about as informative. :laugh:

If I do get a copy of Magical Tarot of the Golden Dawn I'll be interested to see how much of the material is actually classical Mathers-Golden Dawn and how much is Zalewski-Whare Ra Lodge additions. Zalewski's, Inner Order Teachings of the Golden Dawn, is a good example. ;)

A recent purchase that I was pleasently surprised by was the Cicero's, Tarot Talismans: Invoke the Angels of the Tarot. Tarot magic firmly rooted in Golden Dawn tradition and methodology. Good stuff. :D

Scion

I wish I'd known you were lookng for the Bertiaux, I could have gotten you a copy MUCH cheaper. MUCH! Next time you're planning to spend loads on esotericas give a shout, I may have something for you. :)

The bad thing with the Whare-Ra material is that I'm not as solid on the GD material as you are. So now I want YOU to read the book to vet it for me. })

I'm so glad you sad that about the Ciceros! I've been wary of it fearing the fluffy Llewellyn piffle and now I shall have to get my hands on a copy... Thanks, mate!

Aeon418

Scion said:
I wish I'd known you were lookng for the Bertiaux, I could have gotten you a copy MUCH cheaper. MUCH! Next time you're planning to spend loads on esotericas give a shout, I may have something for you. :)
You want to off-load your spare door stop too? :laugh:
Scion said:
The bad thing with the Whare-Ra material is that I'm not as solid on the GD material as you are. So now I want YOU to read the book to vet it for me. })
Most of the Whare-Ra stuff that I have seen is aimed at plugging the big gaps left by Mathers in the Golden Dawn system. A good example is the fact that Mathers never finished writing the Adeptus Minor subgrades. He wrote material for Zelator Adeptus Minor, Theoricus Adeptus Minor, and a mere outline for Practicus Adeptus Minor. The other Minor Adept grades were never written. Hence Crowley's assertion that "the order failed to initiate".
Scion said:
I'm so glad you sad that about the Ciceros! I've been wary of it fearing the fluffy Llewellyn piffle and now I shall have to get my hands on a copy... Thanks, mate!
I think it's anything but Llewellyn piffle. The Cicero's attempt at condensing the Golden Dawn magical system into a simple and practical form of Tarot magic is very inventive and a good example of how the system can be used.

There's even an index and enough tables and charts to keep Similia happy. Maybe... :laugh:

Grigori

Aeon418 said:
There's even an index and enough tables and charts to keep Similia happy. Maybe... :laugh:

hehe yeppers :D

I'd add to the list Case's "The Tarot". Just got the recently and half way through, and if you have the RWS I think it would be invaluable for dealing with the hebrew letters and the majors.

Aeon418

similia said:
I'd add to the list Case's "The Tarot". Just got the recently and half way through, and if you have the RWS I think it would be invaluable for dealing with the hebrew letters and the majors.
Is that The Tarot: A Key to the Wisdom of the Ages? If so I second that recommendation and not just to RWS devotees. There is a lot of common symbolism in Case's descriptions and the Thoth deck.

Another recommendation is the Cicero's companion book to their Golden Dawn Ritual Tarot. It's much more informative than the little booklet you get with the cards. Actually I much prefer their deck to Wang's amateurish bodge job. :rolleyes:

Rusty Neon

The Gill Tarot is interesting to add to the list in that it uses the Golden Dawn colour scales in the backgrounds of its major and minor arcana cards.

Grigori

Aeon418 said:
Is that The Tarot: A Key to the Wisdom of the Ages?

Yep, same beast. I picked it up on a whim in a second hand store and have been very happy with the purchase.

Aeon418 said:
Another recommendation is the Cicero's companion book to their Golden Dawn Ritual Tarot. It's much more informative than the little booklet you get with the cards.

I didn't realize there was another book! Do you have a link Aeon? I can't spot it on Amazon.

roppo

I love the magical library of GD-Yeats line.

decks :
Marseille and Italian.

books by Yeats
"The Secret Rose", the first edition is a gem. A grimoire.
"Autobiographies" contains 'the trembling of the veil'.
"Idea of Good and Evil" contains a short essay titled 'Magic'.
"A Vision". you can't escape from this.
"The Collected Letters of W.B.Yeats", vol.1-4. An Ocean!

books
Virginia Moore, "The Unicorn" is old, but still informative.
Kathleen Raine, "Yeats, Tarot and the Golden Dawn" shows many incredible phtos and drawings.
George Mills Harper, "Yeats's Golden Dawn". Simply, a must.
Mary K.Greer, "Womens of the Golden Dawn", Salute to our own Tahuti.
R.F.Foster, "W.B.Yeats: a Life" 2vols. Standard, perhaps.

basic companions:
Regardie ed. "The Golden Dawn" 4vols.
King ed. "Astral Projection, Magic and Alchemy"
Howe, "The Magicians of the Golden Dawn"
Gilbert ed. "The Golden Dawn Companion" Yes, all indispensable.

general background information:
Godwin, "The Theosophical Enlightenment"
McIntosh, "The Rosy Cross Unveiled". Or Waite's unbelievable "The Brotherhood of the Rosy Cross".
Decker&Dummett "A History of the Occult Tarot".

Novels for refreshment:
Brodie-Innes, "For the Soul of a Witch". A Highland Romantic Love story!
Fortune, "The Sea Priestess". A masterpiece.
Crowley, "Moonchild" contains a supreme occult slapstick sequence involving many eminent GD members.